a problem with yahoo email

The following message to <the mail address here> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 554-'Too many hops'

Forwarded Message: Message001.eml

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyone know what the hell this is? more importantly, does anyone know how I can get the email I'm trying to send to that address (that I removed from the error message) to actually go through?

any help and/or insight would be appreciated

Yes, I know where I am, I'm just tired of the "help" from yahoo...

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't. The person has almost definitely setup some kind of forwarding loop: email address A forwards to email address B which forwards back to A. That's usually what a 554 means, anyway. I've seen it happen when a person sets up their work mail to forward to their personal mail, and then accidentally sets their personal mail to forward to their work mail as well.

The only thing you can do in such a case is to contact the person some other way and tell them their email forwards are causing a problem.

well that's disappointing... what bugs me is that this is the second way the person has given me to stay in contact with them that I can't use due to factors beyond my control (they prefered to use text messaging, but my crappy prepaid phone, apparently isn't actually sending out my text messages to anyone :angry: ). This will surely start seming a bit suspicious to them. Oh well, thanks for the info WizardStan, I guess I'll just have to keep using phone calls, even though they are more comfortable communicating through typing...

p.s. is there a chance the email address I used was silghtly wrong (you know, crapy phone call quality makes it sound like they said one thing, when they actually said another?) or does that error indicate that the address was probably correct, but like you said, the email was set up wrong on their end?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back