A Small Idea To Drive Sales Up (after Release).

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
Hi,

I just had a simple "dream". Imagine that I carry Pandora to work, and all people around gather around and start admiring it, asking questions where I got it, and how perfect it is. And so it happens everywhere I go (dreams, yeah....). And they all bother me a lot.

It would be great if I could just answer:

"Oh, it's Pandora, I bought it over internet from this website." and point my finger at the.... URL written on the Pandora lid!

I think it would be really nice if you could write few words on the lid of Pandora, like just:

"Pandora, http://openpandora.org/"

with the URL in smaller font. I know that printing anything would cost money - but maybe not that much? And will help driving sales up.

Then my dreams went in the dark mood, that I have lost my Pandora, and so I thought - hey if you will be writing anything on it - maybe it will be possible to write something extra on it, also? I already want to give that extra cash for developers funding. I could pay more (than it costs to write the letters) and have my name and address written on it. The extra money would go to developers, and I would feel "special" having Pandora with my name on it! :)

best regards

PS: Since I subscribed yesterday I'm posting like crazy - sorry for that. I should calm down in in a day or two.

I don't think I'd want that, it just seems kinda....dumb.
Maybe it would be OK to have it written near the hinge, underneath the screen.
But it seems like it would be a lot easier to say "Leave me alone." than to pause my game and say "I got it from this website" and point at it ;)

BTW, I would hardly consider 4 posts 'crazy' :)

a large URL on the lid would be pretty ugly imo... I would not mind it on the back in small lettering like the NDS has though (on one of those little embeded sickers).

Im probably going to put a NDS decal on the cover because I dont want people to think its some expensive "cell phone" and steal it. Of course this will only work while its closed :)

I had a crazy dream the other night. My car could talk and it would run errands for me.

Seriously though one reason I want the Pandora is because it's not slapped all over the place with corporate logos. Besides everyone is just going to think it's a DS, no really.

My Pandora is not a badge. It will not make me run faster or jump higher. It will not make me more attractive to the opposite sex...although I wish it would. People will not start crowding around me on the way to work to admire my Pandora and ask me where I got it.

Image is nothing. Utility is everything. Obey your thirst ..er...or something.

a

Since the Pandora will be sold from multiple websites each site would need to have their own URL printed on the lid, which I can see as either increasing costs or just generally being a pain in the arse to deal with.

waffles said:
i think it would look good, underneath the logo, but not necessarily on the lid.
I agree with you totally. Just put it somewhere. The lid was just an example in my opening post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it easier just to say the website address instead of pointing to a URL on the lid. Next thing you know, they'll say "I can't see the URL. Can I hold it so I can see where it is?" and just like that, you're precious Pandora has been kidnapped. Luckily, this was all a dream and this topic never existed.

If you really think you're going to need it, why not order a bunch of those freebie business cards that AMD offer (or perhaps find some other company who offers something similar), and put some in your Pandora-bag or wherever, to give to people who ask? :p

I'm pretty sure that there wouldn't be enough demand for this for the Pandora team to include a small batch of custom cards like this with each machine, though. :p After all, it's just a bit easier to just say the address out loud, or write it down on a Post-It note. Of course, if you really wanted to, you could just print your own, too... :lol:

MagicPants said:
I had a crazy dream the other night. My car could talk and it would run errands for me.
That wasn't a dream, you just fell asleep during a Knight Rider episode :p

@ OP: I think you are looking for some kind of engraving service, I don't know what would work the best though.

Maybe better would be a flashy logo that appears on boot and a super quality demo video that plays on the screen and flashes OpenPandora.org a lot :).

cherrycyanide said:
How about some metal Pandora logos. They could go on the top like Hood Ornaments. :D
Something like these? (I'd imagine that they could probably make thinner ones than those depicted. :p)

I think that some scrap of paper to give to somebody would be enough. I'm just thinking that once in a while, at a coffee shop or, riding the subway/bus with some cool gadget out, like the n800, the MacBook Air or the Kindle, people do notice. I've had a fair number of people ask me about the various gadgets that I've carried, the Pandora is likely to be the most unique. Printing out an 8.5"x11" and cutting it up into say 12~15 sections would probably be just fine to give out to people. Maybe if someone was feeling creative, they could come up with something nice looking that we could print out at our leisure.

A bit off-topic: I think it'd be really cool to have the number in the run printed on the device like X/3000-MK1.

nubie said:
Maybe better would be a flashy logo that appears on boot and a super quality demo video that plays on the screen and flashes OpenPandora.org a lot :).
Hahahah, you got me. That's a crazy good idea. Instead of a boring "progress bar" on startup - we would have a sweet 4second(*) movie flashing OpenPandora.org a lot.

(*) Or how much Pandora will take to boot up.

You know there's a reason why search engines have been created, so that knowing URLs wouldn't be necessary. So people don't even ever type a URL, they type everything in a search engine or use bookmarks. Yes, there's a mega shitload of people who access to sites they visit everyday by typing it in Google.

emil10001 said:
Maybe if someone was feeling creative, they could come up with something nice looking that we could print out at our leisure.
If I had a bit more time, I'd do this. I did find this, though.

Back