A Small Idea To Drive Sales Up (after Release).

A_SN said:
You know there's a reason why search engines have been created, so that knowing URLs wouldn't be necessary. So people don't even ever type a URL, they type everything in a search engine or use bookmarks. Yes, there's a mega shitload of people who access to sites they visit everyday by typing it in Google.
I sometimes do that. It beats trying to remember if something was .com or .net or .org, and if I get it wrong winding up in some other site perhaps designed to catch people looking for the other site. ("No one wants to look at my site. I know! I'll register a name similar to something popular and some people will wind up on it by accident!" It's no big problem, but it gets annoying.)

The best way to find a website is by following a link from another website. It's not just easy -- it's also error resistant. And it doesn't require the website owner to register an "easy to remember" domain name for every separate project. All the concern over domain registration, top level domains, and domain squatting becomes a lot less important if typing in the domain name becomes a lot less important.

Back on topic:
This sounds more like the job of a sticker or a decal. Those who want to, can attach it to their Pandora. Those who don't, don't. And it doesn't involve/impact the manufacture of the Pandora itself. Personally, I don't think I'd go for it. I think the people who'd be most interested in the Pandora would be the ones who want to talk about it -- specs and capabilities and Linux; people who just happen to see me using it probably won't care enough to go visit the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it comical that this is what discussion about Pandora has become now. :lol: I mean, really, are things that desperate? I guess this is what happens when a release gets spread so thin...

Anyways, this is silly, IMO. I don't want a big URL printed on my Pandora, and even if there was a smaller one, that would defeat the purpose. Even slapping a sticker on it would lower the already "meh" aesthetics of the device. If someone is really that interested, just tell them where you got it, duh! :rolleyes:

Besides, there will probably be multiple distributors of Pandora anyways, right?

And seriously, Who would be silly enough to have their name and address printed on something such as the Pandora.

If it was to get lost or stolen, I`m pretty sure it wouldn`t take them long to to empty the contents of your house, Steal your car, Bury your goldfish and rape you cat.

The world isn`t like it used to be, The amount of honest people it contains is steadily declining, It`s a sad fact, But true.

Trooper

trooper said:
And seriously, Who would be silly enough to have their name and address printed on something such as the Pandora.

If it was to get lost or stolen, I`m pretty sure it wouldn`t take them long to to empty the contents of your house, Steal your car, Bury your goldfish and rape you cat.
Um, how would getting your name and address off your Pandora enable somebody to do all that? Compared with:

Scenario (a) -- They look in the phone book. "Here's somebody. Their name and address is right here. Let's do bad things to them." And they've got thousands of people they can do that to.

Scenario (B) -- They see your house. They rob it. If they even care about your name, they can probably find it by looking at your mailbox, asking the neighbors, etc. Your address is obvious. They don't even care if you have a Pandora.

Now putting your address on your keys might do that: You lose your keys, somebody finds them, and they know exactly where to go to use the keys.

At any rate, I think this is off the topic -- which is about putting the name/address where one can buy a Pandora, on your Pandora (so more people will buy them).

Jaxartes said:
trooper said:

Um, how would getting your name and address off your Pandora enable somebody to do all that? Compared with:

Scenario (a) -- They look in the phone book. "Here's somebody. Their name and address is right here. Let's do bad things to them." And they've got thousands of people they can do that to.

Scenario (B) -- They see your house. They rob it. If they even care about your name, they can probably find it by looking at your mailbox, asking the neighbors, etc. Your address is obvious. They don't even care if you have a Pandora.

Now putting your address on your keys might do that: You lose your keys, somebody finds them, and they know exactly where to go to use the keys.

At any rate, I think this is off the topic -- which is about putting the name/address where one can buy a Pandora, on your Pandora (so more people will buy them).

It`s not really off topic, As you can see in the quote below (the bold part) from the original poster, He actually says that he could pay more and have his name and address written on it.

Then my dreams went in the dark mood, that I have lost my Pandora, and so I thought - hey if you will be writing anything on it - maybe it will be possible to write something extra on it, also? I already want to give that extra cash for developers funding. I could pay more (than it costs to write the letters) and have my name and address written on it. The extra money would go to developers, and I would feel "special" having Pandora with my name on it!

The reason i said that someone is very likely to rob someones house if they have their name and address written on something they had found, Especially an item such as the Pandora (Which, To be honest, Looks a quite an expensive piece of kit), They would assume the person who owned it was well off (had plenty of money), Rather that just pick any property at random.

After all, Most theives are lazy, They are really only willing to put the effort in if they are sure they will get something in return.

Trooper

Back