Staff member
Pandora 2

• 1 full, external SDXC slot
  • 1 internal mini/microSD slot
  • WIFI
  • BlueTooth
  • WUSB host
  • WHDI master
  • mini usb otg (possibly micro, if the fragility problem can be overcome) - use this to charge
  • same battery as P1 (or compatible)
  • power terminals on base
  • More nand, CPU performance, RAM, etc

Wireless expansion unit

• TV out (preferably mini hdmi)
  • 3 full-size USB A sockets
  • 1 or 2 SDXC slots
  • HSPDA
  • GPS
  • same battery as above
  • power terminals on top
  • power switch
  • mount/unmount switches?

Allows you to:

• Save complexity, cost in the main unit
  • Have a separate battery charger or charging dock
  • Keep USB harddrives in your bag, use them with your pandora
  • Buy a pandora for less that it would otherwise cost, get annoyed with the unused WHDI/WUSB chips, give OP another $100 for the expansion unit :D

See also thread:

Here

(but generally discuss it in this thread :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Problems:

-Still not very keen on the idea of only one sd card slot on the actual unit.

-Although the point of the secondary device is to simplify the pandora2 I don't think that we should complicate the secondary device. By which I mean that GPS should be removed.

-What is HSPDA and why do we want it?

Other than ythat I am behind this idea for a secondary device 100%. Of course I would like to see people contributing ideas that would make this a plausible reality in ways that legitimately helps the pandora2. I think this is an excellent start. Now we just need specifics involving the ramifications of the above features and how it could be done in tandem with the P2.

For those that did not see the original thread where this idea "originated" (in reality people have been suggesting a modular pandora forever), what it is is essentially a secondary (possibly) wireless usb expansion device. It would be small like the pandora and be able to fit in a bag or pocket while you use the pandora2. It will ideally have a comparable battery life and, more importantly, make using secondary devices and such much easier. With the pandora 1 anything you plug intot he device has to fit into your hand, and that aside plugging multiple things via usb hub makes that impossible. The idea here is to move all that clutter into a more convenient spot and maintaining the sleek nature of the main device. It would be sold separately and people that didn't need it's features would not have to get it. This makes ideas like using a 3/4g wifi chip more accessible by using the dongle without having it in the way. peopl that wont need 4g wont have it and people that want 4g can use it without cluttering their handspace. Same with gps dongles, usb hard drives, cameras, whatever. It would all be consolidated and moved away from your hands.

The reason I don't want to move one of the sd slots onto the secondary device is because I dont want the host device, the p2, to ose it's independence. It should be a full, if minimalised, device and the secondary device should only add functionality. Not take it away.

EDIT:

ps- we forgot to think of how the secondary device would charge. Also, I like the idea that it could also be used as a dock/external battery charger. Those are the kind of ideas I like to see.

The main unit still has two SD slots, just one of them is smaller and less accessible - call it one and a half SD slots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSPDA

Generally, my current thoughts are:

• Cuts to the main unit should not make anything impossible, but are necessary to make room for the WHDI/WUSB chips - they should also nudge users towards buying the expansion unit many people only ever swap out one SD card
  • Why not put the most useful/demanded peripherals* in the expansion unit? - then you could keep it in your other pocket :)
  • Keep the USB host on the main unit - a small USB stick could be used if you need dual swapable disks without the expansion unit
  • OP really should stock compatible dongles

*what are they?

• OP really should stock compatible dongles

SHOULD

but, as you yourself have told me, they likely won't because of the cost without guaranteed sales. But, maybe with the advent of this primary-secondary device (oxymoron) perhaps compatible custom pandora accessories could become a possibility later on. And if they dont become possible., then we still have the secondary device to work with.

WHY WE SHOULDN'T put a bunch of stuff in the secondary device is because it would then suffer from the same problem that putting those things in the p2 would cause. Not everyone would want it and not everyone would want to pay for features they don't need. We should instead simply open it up to be able to handle anything you throw at it. Which reminds me...

Pandora 2 needs driver support. Just saying. That is probably another can of worms so I won't open it here. This thread is for brainstorming on a secondary device.

On the microsd card sot, I understand that t opens up the inside of the pandora for other things, but I am at all times opposed tom making things less accessible. Accessibility is what will sell future pandora units. People have come to expect to be able to pick up and use any given device and while I understand that since this is a computer that won't be easy I also know that it is possible. I like my sd card slots the way they are.

EDIT:

It should be noted that while I will fight tooth and nail for my second sd card slot, binky is probably right about the number of connectors. Here's hoping that there is a workaround in the future.

Also, 3g (hspda) in the secondary device = good idea

EDIT:

This was my 100th post? Man, I should have saved it for something cooler...

Maybe if a master dongle was available, people would use it with netbocks etc ?

What other components would be worth having?

I think I may have another sketch coming on... :)

Maybe if a master dongle was available, people would use it with netbocks etc ?

What other components would be worth having?

I think I may have another sketch coming on... :)

Not really sure I can think of any universally necessary goodies besides 3g. I would like to see more consensus on gps before actually suggesting it. I know that gps chips are relatively cheap but how many people would see it as a +feature instead of an unnecessary one?

Something that might be good is the ability to work with other devices besides the pandora, so maybe it should have bluetooth as well. This may be unnecessary though. Definitely has potential and opens it up to be a product aside from the pandora.

Perhaps leds to indicate battery status. Probably some to indicate other things as well actually.

since we would like to see it work as a dock why not also give it louder speakers that you could plug it into? my problem with this idea is that you could buy better external speakers and then this would go unused. Maybe gve it ICP support? I know people have had trouble using the icp in tandem with the pandora, so maybe this could act as an intermediary between the two? Then again, something simpler than this could be added to the pandora2 firmware...

If anyone really needs anything more in this thing that they couldnt just buy and plug into it let us know. Obviously there are lot's of things that COULD be put into it but the chances of it being better than something you could plug into it is pretty low.

EDIT: are more features a good thing?

As far as I know the iCP issues are entirely software - so hopefully not a consideration

BT would be a possibility, but require more internal processing than just using WUSB (do all USB devices translate cleanly to BT?)

One of my aims here is to make design simple, by using ots USB chips -

Do android phone have decent USB peripheral support?

What about another 3.5mm audio jack for speakers?

Ethernet cable might be nice. What if, instead of bluetooth it came with a custom dongle that included drivers to handle the secondary device that could then be plugged into a third party machine like a laptop?

Edit

Is that what you meant by master dongle earlier?

Ethernet cable might be nice.

you can have that easily with a USB -> ethernet adapter on the current pandora. I use one myself and it works very well.
True

The two points about having it built-in here are

• your Pandora itself would not be tied down
  • would save people the bother of having a USB-ethernet converter separately (only if lots of people would use it)

@peacelovefleshbones: that's pretty much what I meant, yes :)

On the design discussion thread you talked about the physical design of the secondary device. It got me wondering, how do you think it should connect to the pandora when it is acting as a dock?

Double posting some designs by Binky from the Design Discussion thread

metaltrim1.png

metaltrim2.png

metaltrim3.png

and this next one is a design for the secondary device that this thread is dedicated to

metaltrimdock1.png

A diagram

metaltrim.png

Thanks as always binky

Also, quick question. What would we use internal usb ports on this secondary portable device for? More to the pioint, HOW would we use them?
Open a hatch/cover, plug in USB dongle of some sort, put cover back on.

Good for anything that you will be using with your pandora in the long term - Depending on your use case ,you might want to prevent things plugged into your exPandora getting dislodged in you bag or pocket

Also, quick question. What would we use internal usb ports on this secondary portable device for? More to the pioint, HOW would we use them?
Open a hatch/cover, plug in USB dongle of some sort, put cover back on.

Good for anything that you will be using with your pandora in the long term - Depending on your use case ,you might want to prevent things plugged into your exPandora getting dislodged in you bag or pocket

So it would open like the lid of the pandora?

Also, as much as I like the sentiment, how many usb devices can actually fit inside of that? Besides those uber small pendrives or the receivers for a usb mouse. Then again, maybe that's all you would need it for.

Would it be possible (probably not) to make it open like an old cassette player so that it reveals those internal usb ports? (I can sketch up a quick example if that's confusing)

I was thinking more like one of those sliding battery compartment covers, but either of what you suggested could work.

Problem with the cassette player style opening is the bendy cables - which lead to unreliability (no pun intended)

Back