Abiword Dictionary

dgame

Hi,

I am using the Abiword.pnd from the archives and can't get the American English dictionary to work.

I tried copying the dictionary folder with the american.hash from the Windows version but Spell Check is still unavailable in AbiWord.

How can I get the spell checker to work in AbiWord on the Pandora?

EDIT: Solution is here http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/3073-abiword-dictionary/#entry289808

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Added this task to my todo-list. Yet if you want to see it happen in less then 3 months, built it yourself (very easy)
Sebt, this just needs to be re-packaged as a PND with the new dictionary file included, doesn't it? If that's the case I'll get on this as soon as my Pandora arrives (hopefully in about 12 hours).

Added this task to my todo-list. Yet if you want to see it happen in less then 3 months, built it yourself (very easy)
Sebt, this just needs to be re-packaged as a PND with the new dictionary file included, doesn't it? If that's the case I'll get on this as soon as my Pandora arrives (hopefully in about 12 hours).
no you'll need to build aspell, then build abiword with aspell enabled.

Hi sebt3,

Do you have a link to the Abiword source code you used?

Thanks!

Thanks!

This one is driving me nuts.

I compiled Aspell and the dictionary.

Aspell works from the command line.

Still no spell check in Abiword.

I opkg installed AbiWord to NAND and still no spell check.

Going to compile AbiWord and see what happens . . .

SOLVED!!!

sudo opkg install enchant

This will upgrade the enchant spellchecker and install the aspell and libncurses5 libraries.

Now the spell checker works in the existing AbiWord.pnd.

I am going to re-flash and note the easiest way to do it; but this is probably all it needed along with the Aspell English Dictionary aspell6-en-7.1-0.tar.bz2 .

Okay, after much trial-and-error I have discovered a consistent method to enable spell check in AbiWord.

First install the aspell6-en-7.1-0 dictionary to the existing Aspell.

Next update the existing Enchant spell checker interface.

The spell checker will now work in AbiWord.

Basic Steps:

1. sudo opkg install make (needed for step #3, this installs the make command)

2. Extract and copy prezip-bin to /usr/bin (needed for step #3, prezip-bin.zip is attached to this post)

3. config, make, and make install the aspell6-en-7.1-0 dictionary

Get aspell6-en-7.1-0.tar.bz2 HERE

4. sudo opkg install enchant (Upgrade enchant on root from 1.3.0-r1.5 to 1.6.0-r2.6...)

I am not sure how to approach a PND for something like this.

I suppose I could have it copy over the prezip-bin, install the dictionary, and then upgrade the Enchant?

Those are the basic steps, but I haven’t done an installer type PND before. Might leave this to the experts.

prezip-bin.zip

Attachments

• prezip-bin.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 151
I was using Abiword to write up a paper for uni today when I found out it didn't have spell check working. Here's my re-compiled version with hunspell and enchant compiled with hunspell. I've included English dictionaries in the PND, and if I understand PND workings correctly, you can add any hunspell(same used for openoffice/libreoffice) dictionaries you want into <appdata for abiword>/share/myspell/dicts. If I'm wrong, I can just make a new PND with as many dicts as I can bundled in.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z2csf33zzyzo4so

A very sincere thank you to eyecreate.

This is very cool and it works without any of the fuss I went through.

Also whatever English dictionary (or settings) you chose ignores the curse/swear/bad words.

Installing the aspell6-en-7.1-0 dictionary to the original abiword.pnd gives a lot more suggestions including the correct spelling of the bad words. It also suggests bad words as possible replacements for misspelled words.

Your version apparently does not use the aspell6-en-7.1-0 dictionary that I previously installed.

In this case less is more. I'll use your version as I don't want to have to deal with all the bad words.

Thanks!!

A very sincere thank you to eyecreate.

This is very cool and it works without any of the fuss I went through.

Also whatever English dictionary (or settings) you chose ignores the curse/swear/bad words.

Installing the aspell6-en-7.1-0 dictionary to the original abiword.pnd gives a lot more suggestions including the correct spelling of the bad words. It also suggests bad words as possible replacements for misspelled words.

Your version apparently does not use the aspell6-en-7.1-0 dictionary that I previously installed.

In this case less is more. I'll use your version as I don't want to have to deal with all the bad words.

Thanks!!

No problem, I needed it too and figured I might as well do it so others could benefit.

Btw, I just took the dictionary from here, as suggested by the hunspell site.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries

Super-necro-bump to post the AbiWord PND with the working Hunspell spell checker that was compiled by eyecreate. The mediafire link to this file is no longer working. 

abiword_hunspell.pnd

Attachments

• abiword_hunspell.pnd
    9.5 MB · Views: 150
Just found this thread! Awesome job with the added spell check.. Would be nice if this version was put on the repo

Back