About an Updated Kernel

pisiiki

Still Fresh
Hello, what's up with the kernel in our machines? I think this should get top priority. We should be able to keep up with the latest linux kernel without problems. I think that we must address the problems that prevent us from updating to newer kernels as soon as possible. We have even useless hardware in the pandora right now because of this. Some SD issues may probably be solved with a newer kernel too. .27 is way too old right now. Most of us want to use the pandora as a small toy computer not just as an emulator loader. This is my very honest oppinion.

Regards.

Do you have links to problems people have from their SD cards being incompatible with the .27 kernel? I'd think an SD card itself should be high enough level that it doesn't interface directly with the kernel anyway; I'm not an expert.

What hardware do you have in your Pandora that's useless due to the .27 kernel?

Ultimately it's a matter of time. Does Mr. Dragon spend his time building and repairing Pandoras, or testings the latest kernel every six weeks? Of course it would be nice to have a newer kernel, but it certainly isn't the thing limiting the Pandora. Frankly, it's stable, so it's not the forefront of their attention.

Also, I'm pretty sure Linus is fighting a small war against the ARM devs at the moment; who says the newest kernel will improve anything?

Notaz is working on it. He's a brilliant programmer, but he's still only one man. If you want it sooner, the only way it's going to happen is if you roll up your sleeves and help out.

Hello, what's up with the kernel in our machines? I think this should get top priority. We should be able to keep up with the latest linux kernel without problems. I think that we must address the problems that prevent us from updating to newer kernels as soon as possible. We have even useless hardware in the pandora right now because of this. Some SD issues may probably be solved with a newer kernel too. .27 is way too old right now. Most of us want to use the pandora as a small toy computer not just as an emulator loader. This is my very honest oppinion.

Regards.
So get on it then. DJWillis tells me all the latest improvements are in the git in its own branch.

Oh hey yeah! I always forget about DJWillis. He's also a smart guy, but so quiet. I apologize for any offenses.

Any chance of skipping to this version

There is no real way to skip a version. As the kernel internal changes, you need to adapt your custom drivers to fit all these changes.

So even if the target is 3.0, you need to do all the work to go to 2.6.37 + all the work to go between 2.6.37 to 3.0.

Beside :

or is it too fresh and new?
there is not much new in 3.0 (beside the name a few fixes and a few news drivers)

Back