about memory cards ..

nik166

:3 :3 :3
it's maybe stupid questions.. scold me if i deserve it :p

but i wonder why big smartmedias have to be 5v instead of 3 ??
i mean , what's the link between the size and the voltage, where's the limitation ?

and while i'm asking about limitations,
compactflash can go up to 1Go ,ok i know that these one cost twice the price of a GP32 but it would be great for something like the GP32 ,and for the same size (128Mo for example) it's the same price (actually i've even seen it less expensive :D)

EXAMPLE: fuji released a nice digicam , the 2600Z, his biggest problem was the smartmedia format,
never mind, fuji realized the mistake and released the 2650Z, wich is exactly the same, with compactflash (type1 of course;) )

what i wonder is: for the GP32, is that a mistake too like fuji or is there a real reason? (technical or not?)

The N-Gage reportedly uses SMC's, as will that new fangled 3rd party addon for GBA. It seems there's a deeper reason as to why they use SMC. As for voltages, maybe gamepark just didn't think anyone would want more than 128mb. It's a fair assumption, because 128mb is about as big as a game cartridge has ever gotten...

I'll disagree with you that -- Creating such an open ended machine should be prepared for big SMCs --- Why have a Divx player when you can't fit a movie on one for example? --(well for music videos\smaller programs) -- it just seems the moviepark name is very ironic--

But they they have done a fantastic job!

of course it's a fantastic job ,
but some things are .. hmm .. too bad <_<

-finally non backlit screen > ok for autonomy i guess..
-only 2 action buttons> ....hmm too bad for SNES emulation but what's done is done :huh:
-128Mo smartmedia > :blink:

except this of course it's a great machine, but it's not a reason to forget these missed points :D

Why not take it further? It would be cool if someone came up with a way to access a laptop drive in an external case (or even a CD-ROM).

well we already have a direct USB link ,wich could maybe be enough with a correct power supply on the drive/reader so i suppose it would be a question of driver (modificated firmware?)

but it would maybe be need a different version for all the different peripherals ?

You should realise that Nintendo calculate their capacity in bits, as normal people calculate it it Bytes and a byte is 8 times more that a bit.

I think the highest size in cartridges for nintendo is 256megabits which means only 32mb.

So compared to 128mb its not much.

jlebrech posted on Mar 3 2003 said:
I think the highest size in cartridges for nintendo is 256megabits which means only 32mb.

So compared to 128mb its not much.
true,

but the GBA is not supposed to read DIVX and emulate PC-engine ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back