About To Give Up....

RVD5Star

Still Fresh
Hey everybody, for the past 12 hours I have been looking through FAQS and posts trying to discover why my computer (XP Home) wont recognize my USB link with the GP32 (FLU).

No window pops up recognizing new hardware, no driver installations have worked, and on the GP32 PC Link Mode it gives me a "USB Link Error"

I have searched long and far for an answer, however have not been able to find one...

Any one out there that has some insight, please help!

Make sure you are NOT using the drivers that WindowXP installs automatically, those do not work. Download the official Drivers, or use the drivers created by Firefly which are supposedly more XP compatible.

If you want a link to Firefly's driver (havent used it myself) here it is:
http://users.skynet.be/firefly/gp32/projec...32usb/index.htm

If the official driver doesnt work properly, try Firefly's.

To update your driver simply goto the device manager and select the USB <-> GP32 link, whatever its called, and click the Update Drivers button. Unplug your cable and plug it back in an all should be well.

If it still doesnt work then it might be a software incompatiblity rather than a driver problem, you might try GPDrive (or whatever its called...) to see if you get better results. Also if you have any "On board" USB slots, try using those rather than any hub or card addon slots. You might also try unpluging all of your unneeded USB devices to see if they have any conflicts.

Afraid I tried that already...the only things under USB in the device manager are USB Root Hub(s) and INtel USB Adapters...The computer cannot recognize that anything is being connected WHATSOEVER...Also as a note, I do have a WinTV USB installed, could that be conflicting perhaps?

Sounds like you have a buggy OS or a broken USB port. Did you make sure you installed the drivers for your USB ports? (I assume you have or else your WinTV wouldnt be working...)

Try it without your WinTV plugged in, maybe plug the GP32 into the same USB port since you know that ones working (it is working right?) Also try and stay with the onboard USB ports, I know my flashlinker likes to have some problems if its on an addon card or hub.

Other than that, you can try to get a hub or addon card and see if that works.
Do other USB Devices work? Or just your WinTV? It might be a faultly link Cable. (I think they are common USB <-> MiniUSB cables that you can find for your digital cameras, etc..)

(Note that the GP32 has to be ON for it to be detected by windows, if you just plug it into the USB slot, nothing will happen)

You may find its actually already installed and such. Bear in mind, none of the GP32 drivers make the thing show up on the USB devices list - so yuo don't need to worry about Windows complaining if you unplug it suddenly.

However, USB link errors are wossnames; I remember them well. I think my solution was in the order that you do things. You have to load PC-Link to the "plug GP32 in" message, then plug your GP32 in and then put it into PC-Link mode. Click OK. If you're completely new, you may then want to format your SMC (File --> format) which may help a bit.

Otherwise, try squidgelink (or whatever it's called) and see if that works, and if worst comes to worst, get an SMC reader...

I had the same problem only then with Windows ME.

Put the Drivers on a Floppy-Disk en put the disk in your PC. Then run somekind of New Hardware stuff (in Windows ME "New Hardware" in settings) and let them search your system when your GP32 is connected to your PC (Put your GP32 in PC-Link mode and then run that New Hardware stuff on your PC) Your PC will find an USB-Device and will install it.

Hope it will help.

Still not having any luck...I tried a game controller to be sure the port worked, and sure enough it did...I also tried using the port Win TV was connected to, but that didn't work...I like the SMC reader Idea...is there a way I can get FreeLauncher onto the SMC without Authenticating (Because keep in mind, the PC can't detect the GP32 whatsoever...)

Also, thanks for all the help everyone, I'm glad you took the time to go out of your way to help me :)

If anyone has any other ideas, please speak openly, as I am ready to try anything...

I have Win XP, and use a smart card reader. It will save you so much aggro. Also the speed in transferring large files (eg. films and such) is far quicker than the cruddy pc link could ever manage. Also freelauncher is pants. Big time auntie type pants. Use multifw 2 by mr.spiv or aquafish 4.5 by err.. aquafish (the one I use and is the best imho). Be careful and read the guides if you intend to flash though - too many people have destroyed their GPs and post their stories on here :(

Hope this helps you :)

Well, I just picked up a SanDisk SM Reader, so when I get home (at work right now) I will give it a test run...If anyone has a link to post to the alternative (and apparantly better) launchers, please post them...

Again, thanks for the help everybody!

lizard808uk posted on Apr 24 2004 at 08:12 AM said:
http://membres.lycos.fr/illusionstudio/aquafish/ for firmware upgrade.

http://faq.gp32emu.com/ - A guide to flashing firmware. If you don't follow it to the letter you may screw up your GP32. :(
He cant do that unless his GP32 is hooked up to his PC! Which he says wont work.

If you verified that the USB port works, then the only other explination, if indeed you are following all the right steps in the right order, is that, most likely, you have a faulty GP32 <-> USB Cable. I would contact the store you bought it from and ask for a replacement cable. You might want to take a test lead to the cable and verify that it is indeed faulty. Shouldnt be too hard, its powered by the USB port...

Or you can send your GP32 to someone you can trust, and they will get you all setup. From there you can use the SMC reader/writer to do damn near everything except flash your bios.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back