Adding File Extentions To Mplayer

Darkknight512

I have a few .mp4 (H.264) files that I would like to play on my Wiz, the files play fine when I rename them to .avi which means that Mplayer supports it, now is there a way that I can add the .mp4 file extension to the supported list so I don't have to rename my videos?

You are using the source-built MPlayer from archive i assume here. Thats the version which accepts nearly everything.

Check the configuration folder. There is a file called "extension". Edit it to contain "mp4" or "mkv", "flv" as you like. One extension per line.

Enuff said!

I was able to do that as well and it worked. But... when I run an flv it seems to be really slow, choppy and skips lots of frames. I've tried changing some settings but it still doesn't run that great. Is there a configuration someone has found that works well with mplayer and flv?

A few things to behold. The source Mplayer uses cpu-only decoding in contrast to the menu-Mplayer who can decode hardware-assisted. The latter being much faster ror that task. Don't expect miracles, if your desktop PC starts sweating and barely can do then the tiny cpu in the wiz who runs on a fraction of the power usage of big pc systems can't help you ;)

FLV's can contain a multitude of codecs and in your case i assume its heavy weight h.264 content inside. To cope with that you have a few options:

* overclock and tweak your ram settings for instance. The playback seems audio-centric, player trying hard to keep audio continous sacrificing video coherence.

* Try stripping audio from the FLV, i would bet you get seriously better results :)

* You might also try to run mplayer from command-line and tinker with its settings. Maybe adding a frameskip could help.

* Finally you always have the option to reencode on PC-side. Target could be for instance MKV containing MPG4 video rated around 1000 kbit/s. That should play easily.

Good luck!

Back