Best settings for Mplayer Command Line ?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
For one of the programs I am currently developing I am using mplayer to play mp4 files on Pandora, but some have speed issues since the Pandora cannot handle it fast enough to deliver all frames.

Do you have any recommendation as to what mplayer parameters to set via the command line to speed things as fast as possible on Pandora ? 

Would you recommend -vo sdl , or -vo something else for speed ? (xv, x11?) 

Any other parameter to add ? I tried adding some cache but it does not really help. 

You mean the -frameskip argument ? I tried it, it improves things a bit, but I was wondering if there was something else I could do on Pandora to speed up performance a bit. 

panplayer allows you to (en|dis)able frameskip, but it also has a hard mode for dropping frames, it's not the default setting, but you can set it in the config file (once you find out what it's called <_<")

Last time I tried I couldnt get panplayer to work properly (via the tv-out) the panplayer2 using SMplayer as a backend works much nicer :) (just for info)

Did you compile the latest Mplayer Version?

For using Mplayer with TV Out without manual modeswitching recommend i the Setting -vo x11 but this slow bit down.

Try the Panplayer2 PND and simply grab the Mplayerversion from it and take the Settings ;)

Panplayer2 work realy fast and stable but have an old Mplayer Version.
Maybe compile a newer Mplayerversion should be much better and play more Formats ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be very surprised that a more recent version of mplayer play video files much faster - usually version bumps in mplayer are rather about new options or bug fixes, performance differences should not be that significant. ANyway, I'll give it a try. 

Back