Video playback issues

doragasu

I'm trying to play some video files (MP4, H264+AAC) without success. First I started testing files with resolution 848x480, but it played really slow. Then lowered the resolution to 700x400, and it is still very slow.

After some searching I read how to improve video playback performance using "-ao oss -vo omapfb" options in mplayer. Tested an still it's very slow (even with 800 MHz CPU speed).

Continued searching and found an application called "omapfbplay" that is supposed to play 720p files fullscreen in the Beagleboard (same CPU than the Pandora) using NEON FPU, so...

1. Is omapfbplay available for the Pandora?

2. Is omapfbplay the same as using mplayer -vf omapfb?

3. Anybody has done video playback tests on the Pandora? What are the optimal settings to encode a video maximizing video resolution and quality? Should I forget H264?

I expected better performance in video playback. I can play H264+AAC MP4 files with 480x272 resolution in my PSP with a CPU speed of 111 MHz and playback is flawless!

Edit: I forgot to add also mplayer crashes with some MP4 files...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for help. I have a Nokia 5800 XM and IIRC, this terminal can play 640x360 MP4 files only if video is MPEG4 part 2 (DivX, XVid, etc.) and NOT MPEG4 part 10 (H264, etc.). It can play H264 files if resolution is lower. So I assume your video files are not H264.

I will use MPEG4 part 2 if H264 is not an option, but I prefer H264 rather than standard MPEG4...

I have done some more tests with H264+AAC, using CPU speed = 600 MHz:

1.- File with the same settings I use to encode for PSP, resolution=480x272, fr=3, b_pyramid=0, br=340kbps: Plays fine. CPU usage oscillates between 50% and 60+% using gnome-mplayer with default configuration.

2.- The same as above, but resolution=640x360: Plays, but frameskips constantly. Using CPU speed=800 MHz makes the file work perfectly, making CPU load oscillate between 60% and 80+%.

3.- The same as above, but resolution=800x480: Unplayable :(

I'm a bit dissapointed, because I though Pandora was able to directly play 720p H264+AAC files :( . We need somebody starts using that DSP...

I have tested changing video driver to omapfb and audio driver to oss. CPU usage is a bit lower, but you still need to raise CPU speed to play 640x360 files and 800x480 files are unplayable even with these drivers and CPU speed=800 MHz.

Back