Video Playback?

TylerAW

So is there a trick or a file I need (other than the community codec pack) to get playback to work right on my Open Pandora? I tried using Gnome for .mp4 files and it does not work. I tried Pan Player Zoom and that only works on audio or fast forward and XMBC is too slow for my CC unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Codec pack: http://pandorawiki.org/Firmware#Community_Codec_Package_-_for_Pandora_OS.2C_Release_2010-05

Don't expect that great performance from .h264/x264 encoded videos especially if it's 720p or higher..  Xvid/divx encoded ones seem to play back okay.

For Youtube videos : http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=thetube

Smplayer2 to me seems like the best optimized player for the Pandora. http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=package.smplayer2 
It claims that application does not exist. I remebered the Pandora having video issues... I just figured by now they were fixed? No one has tried? I did notice at 1ghz for my Pandora they ran fine.

The forum mangles the URL  for some reason... just search for smplayer2 on the repo and it will show it.

. I just figured by now they were fixed? No one has tried? I did notice at 1ghz for my Pandora they ran fine.
 nothing broken, .h264 encoded videos have poor performance on a SoC that doesn't have a good video decoder or in the case of the Pandora no dedicated decoder.. most other videos encoded to something else (divx/xvid/webm) play back alright.

EDIT: fixed the link.. for some reason the forum sets the url string to lower case. the URL is case sensitive.

EDIT2: some rare conditions an .h264 encoded video plays back fine at 480p or 720p resolution if it's optimized properly.. but most videos I've encountered are encoded very poorly.

Fixed smplayer2 link (I think the issue was a UTF-8 encoded NBSP on the end).

Edit: Oops, too slow - too much research went into this post ;)
Ha

Anyway, this player wasn't really an improvement. At stock speed it can't really do anything (I know stock 600mhz I am asking for trouble). But I did notice it fast forwards REALLY well, so why is it so bad at playing the video? It's just weird.

BY the way, how come they could never get hardware acceleration to work on the Pandora?

mpeg-4 are typically h264 encoded, like I said in my previous post, they don't play well. This is mostly because that format is CPU intensive to decode and the Pandora has no dedicated video decoder.

BY the way, how come they could never get hardware acceleration to work on the Pandora?
Not sure, and "They" as in the few community volunteers handling the OS and kernel work most likely don't have the time to write an optimized decoder from scratch. There is no huge development team, it has all been done by volunteer work.

Not sure, and "They" as in the few community volunteers handling the OS and kernel work most likely don't have the time to write an optimized decoder from scratch. There is no huge development team, it has all been done by volunteer work.
I know that, but I just assumed by now someone would have offered a bounty or something. The Pyre better have decoders built in because that would be embarrassing.

I know that, but I just assumed by now someone would have offered a bounty or something. The Pyre better have decoders built in because that would be embarrassing.
Small community -> how much bounty do you expect to raise ? Devs are paid with real money, not candies, even if you raise 1000 dollars it won't be near enough to get them started. 

For the Pyra you don't have to worry about anything, because the CPU itself should be powerful enough to decode even full HD. 

Small community -> how much bounty do you expect to raise ? Devs are paid with real money, not candies, even if you raise 1000 dollars it won't be near enough to get them started. 

For the Pyra you don't have to worry about anything, because the CPU itself should be powerful enough to decode even full HD. 
Not to sound like a jerk, but with the Pyre wouldn't we be in the same basket as we are before? Not enough devs, or devs who get paid alot else ware who don't need to use their time on the Pyre?

Not to sound like a jerk, but with the Pyre wouldn't we be in the same basket as we are before? Not enough devs, or devs who get paid alot else ware who don't need to use their time on the Pyre?
Hopefully we will be in a better place with the Pyra, The Pandora had manufacturing, Craig and other miscellaneous issues caused much delays and turned many people away.

However the community members that stuck around even how small the group has pulled together many astonishing feats, Ptitseb is a game porting machine.. gave us much of the 3D games, C development tools and applications we use are thanks to him.., Mcobit, Pickle have done a ton of porting and even myself in an extremely smaller amount. Lunixboch has made an awesome openGL to openGLES shim, his current wine/x86 emulation work is very promising. Notaz has ported a true native ARM version of Starcraft!, not to mention his work on the core of the OS and also aTc in that area. Exophase has generously gave us for free a Nintendo DS emulator that rivaled anything out prior and this was before he released his commercial Android version.. _wb_, undexsym, Bzar and Ziz have created entirely new games from scratch for the Pandora. Ekianjo gives our community a voice with his blog, There are many others(sorry if I forgot.. I need sleep) that have done a great deal for this community and are still around and most likely be around for the Pyra. The Pandora/Pyra IS a community effort and it takes a bit of effort on our part, EvilDragon,GTA04 and crew gives us a platform to work on. So if by some odd circumstances we only have our current Pandora community and not pick up any more talent, I'm not really too worried about the outcome of the Pyra.

EDIT: Also like Ekainjo said the OMAP5 is powerful enough to eat through HD quality videos on CPU(s) power alone, I know first hand I have a development board.

Edit2: okay sorry getting down from my soapbox.. hit a nerve making it sound like nothing gets done around here.

Yes

Yes
indeed, essentially that.. I could of saved a ton of typing.

I know using mxplayer in android works better for some videos...

Back