Video advice

andyhamer

Any ideas how i get videos to display, i can hear the audio but all i can see is a black screen (using VlC) i have them all resized to 800x480, and have installed the codec pack & tried them in divx, wmv & mp4.

Check /tmp/pndrunvlcsomethingsomething

There may be some errors about video playback in there that would be helpful.

Any ideas how i get videos to display, i can hear the audio but all i can see is a black screen (using VlC) i have them all resized to 800x480, and have installed the codec pack & tried them in divx, wmv & mp4.

Have you installed the community codec pack after your latest reflash?

I've seen this happen as well, depending on what media you throw at it. In its current state, the Pandora is unsuitable for video playback for me.

I mostly tried 720p,h264,mkv,VLC/MPlayer, but 480p has problems as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this happen as well, depending on what media you throw at it. In its current state, the Pandora is unsuitable for video playback for me.

I mostly tried 720p,h264,mkv,VLC/MPlayer, but 480p has problems as well.

any H264/x264 videos will not play or play at a reasonable rate. If the DSP was enabled that would be a different story. That codec requires a bit more processing. I've had good luck with Xvid/divx AVIs even with high resolutions.

any H264/x264 videos will not play or play at a reasonable rate. If the DSP was enabled that would be a different story. That codec requires a bit more processing. I've had good luck with Xvid/divx AVIs even with high resolutions.
I know. Unfortunately, that's 90% of the content these days.

I've found after much experimentation that Divx 800x480 (using Panplayer) seems to be the way to go, shame we can't get any HD content to work.

This as with other things seems to rely upon the mythical DSP, perhaps one day..

^True, but there's no denying that the videos look great on the pandora. They looked great on my nokia 5800 (640x320) but the pandora is "big screen" compared to that :)

PanPlayer is also much more straight-forward to use than VLC in it's current multiple window format.

Glad you got it working in the end.

Wow! You have heaps of problems with your Pandora.

Sony, you have a way with words :)

Somehow you remind me of BlueProtomon, or is that the other way around? :)
No, lol please don't compare me to that twat! The only reason I said, "Wow! You have heaps of problems with your Pandora" is because I get f*cking frustrated with people who have ENDLESS problems and queries.

Me, I've had more than my few problem and queries regarding my Pandara, but I use Google to help me get through it all...and I also PM the elite Pandora members here for help and get nothing but pure HELP, which 100% solves my problems. :)

No, lol please don't compare me to that twat!
Your ongoing posting spree is not unlike what he used to do here.

The only reason I said, "Wow! You have heaps of problems with your Pandora" is because I get f*cking frustrated with people who have ENDLESS problems and queries.
Me, I've had more than my few problem and queries regarding my Pandara, but I use Google to help me get through it all...and I also PM the elite Pandora members here for help and get nothing but pure HELP, which 100% solves my problems. :)
Then don't read the support threads. Though you are right about looking for solutions through Google first, it's better to post about the problems in the open than to resolve everything through private messages as this way others benefit from the solution as well.

[edit]@Sony. Yes, yes. I know. Luckily about half of what you say makes sense ;) [/edit]

:p when will the dsp core be enabled my entire library is in iphone retna H264 format :(

H264 runs just fine with a little bit of overclocking and the occasional frameskip, so long as the resolution is only 480p.

960x640 is probably just outside of usable, but I'm wondering if you actually tried it.

i can play x264 480p with default voltage using panplayer

Getting PMs is all good and well, but it would be nice to add what you get from them to wiki.

I get quite a lot of problems with my Pandora as well, despite I know my way around average modern Linux distro and a search engine. Broken dependencies for goddamn build-essential in Debian Squeeze armel repo and broken dependencies in Angstrom's repos for guess what? Ncurses! My wifi chip died the first day and my LCD cable can go to heaven any moment now. It's quite a lot of hassle even for someone fully understanding how many surprises openwhatever can bring, with due respect. 'It works fine for me' is a nice approach, but it's a little like having your head deep in the sand.

OP, please try your videos with GMplayer and VLC, both work not perfect, but pretty tolerable for me. I feed them these ~700 and ~1.4 Gb DVD rips I used to watch with my laptop in various formats without overclocking and re-encoding of any sort. Maybe you could provide a link to a sample file you are having problems with so that I might try it on my Pandora?

For an average desktop Linux distro I would ask you to run [player] [video_file] in terminal and post the output here, but it's just not the same with pnds.

Back