Adhesive rubber feet

Sorry for late reply and not explaining.

I've been using the pandora a lot on my desk and it keeps slipping when I'm typing. I was wondering about sticking 4 on the battery cover or, maybe 2 onthe baterry cober and the other 2 on the base.

I wasjust wondering if anyone had done anything like that and if so, which gave the best stability.

I've made rubber feets from Sugru on my old black case. I've sticked the transparent rubber button-like feets to the silver case but they fell off. Now I'm back on Sugru feets placed at the body case (not at battery doors). It sticks much better, Pandora doesn't slip and doesn't get scratched from bottom.

I stuck some non-slip rubber pads on mine, they've never come off and they make using it on a work surface much better. The ones I used are from 3M (forgot what they call them), they are tiny clear hemispheres, around 50 per sheet. Plenty left over for other stuff!

A few layers of good old insulating tape
You won't be able to remove battery easily though.
I can partly peel it off where the cover clips in, done that a few times when I still had the old case. That tape will stick just like before. And I have no more reason to remove the battery unless it dies.

LOL - you only need 2 rubber feet 3-4mm in diameter to hold it.  Any more than that and it becomes -less- stable.  You need the rubber to be able to deform a bit to grip to the desk.  With a huge swath of it, the down force is so distributed that it will make it just as slick as hard plastic.  Less is more.

LOL - you only need 2 rubber feet 3-4mm in diameter to hold it.  Any more than that and it becomes -less- stable.  You need the rubber to be able to deform a bit to grip to the desk.  With a huge swath of it, the down force is so distributed that it will make it just as slick as hard plastic.  Less is more.
LOL indeed, I highly doubt that this is universally true physically, because it highly depends on the combination of materials used. According to your theory a car with narrow - or just two - tires would have better adhesion to the road than one with wide tires. I wonder how well "tarmac cutters" would do on an F1 car. Oh wait? Back in the days when 120Mph was really fast they had narrow tires - now they have wide ones... makes you think, doesn't it.

Apart from that it doesn't slide around. Partly because I don't push it from the sides, rather from the upside. My goal was eleminating the wobbliness, in which I succeeded.

Only two rubber feet, leaving it skewed to whatever side? Eh, no thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
@kuru:  you'd put one on each side at the back,  and let the front of the unit rest on the surface Like the way keyboard supports work.

@binky:  Only if they are all in a row, in which case 2 would suffice.   If you had a third on the front it would make it wobbly.

- Neelix

It's perfect the way it is, not skewed, not wobbly, not skidding. *sighs* you guys...

Two quick pics from mobilephone.

I liked old bright orange Sugru feets on black case more but since I prefere function over look I don't mind having silver/blue combo. It actualy fits to my wallpaper :D

uploadfromtaptalk1380608495807.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380608534929.jpg

LOL indeed, I highly doubt that this is universally true physically, because it highly depends on the combination of materials used. According to your theory a car with narrow - or just two - tires would have better adhesion to the road than one with wide tires. I wonder how well "tarmac cutters" would do on an F1 car. Oh wait? Back in the days when 120Mph was really fast they had narrow tires - now they have wide ones... makes you think, doesn't it.

Apart from that it doesn't slide around. Partly because I don't push it from the sides, rather from the upside. My goal was eleminating the wobbliness, in which I succeeded.

Only two rubber feet, leaving it skewed to whatever side? Eh, no thanks.
Two factors come into play with your F1 analogy though that do not with a 1lb item on your desk.

1.  F1 tires are seriously soft compounds - especially when they get warm.  Holding together at the heat generated is the trick.  They actually don't 'hold' very well cold at slow speeds.

2.  F1 cars use aerodynamics to push the car down to the ground at many times the car's actual weight - enough to deform those wide and soft tires resulting in better grip.

This is why it is possible for an F1 car to take some corners at up to 60mph cold or 120-150mph warm but would fly off the track at 80mph cold.  They need the tire compounds to be warm - and the aerodynamic 'weight' to deform them to get the tires to stick at speed.

Back to my original statement, rubber and it's analogs are most effective for resistance when the weight of the object is enough to slightly deform the compound - increasing surface area and allowing it to 'fit to' the minor imperfections in the thing you're trying to get it to hold onto.

Back