administrative password? root access?

khunkao

Still Fresh
I've noticed the Pandora will ask me for a password if I open something like root terminal. 

When and where do I set up such an admin password? 

IIRC It should be the same password you set on first boot (or whenever you reflash the OS) of your unit (at least it is on mine..)

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't a regular root user, if you want that you need to set it up yourself..

If it's asking for a superuser access it's generally done through sudoers, which means you just need to enter your regular password.

To be precise: There is a regular root-user, but no password is set.

By default you get root-access in a terminal by for example running "sudo su -" and entering your user-password. "exit" leaves and brings you back to user-level. You can also just execute a single command as root by running "sudo <command-name>".

If you want to be able to directly log in as root you need to set a password for the root-user. Run "passwd" as root to do that. But this is not really necessary. I also modified the first line of /etc/passwd and replaced "/bin/sh" by "/bin/bash" in order to have bash as default shell.

Edit: Regarding the process of switching to root from within a terminal the difference is not really big. With a root-password set you can just write "su -" to become root instead of using "sudo su -". But if you for example connect to the Pandora from a remote shell (like ssh) then you can log in directly as root from another computer by running "ssh root@<pandora-ip>". Without a password you would first have to log in as user and then switch to root.

Back