Age Of Empires?

I don't care about AOE at all, just wanted to repeat that AOE for ARM exists. You 'just' have to put WinCE on Pandora. Or use an imaginary CE-WINE.

@Mali
Do you think that CE-WINE or a WinCE emulator is a good idea? I'd give a kidney for it.
Upon further examination, I suppose it isn't worth a kidney, maybe just a little bit of my pancreas and a serious re-examination of my entire life.

There was someone who wanted to work on CE for Pandora, but it was over a year ago and maybe he has forgotten Pandora by now, dunno. _If_ someone ports CE it might be possible to sell the license via the Appstore, I suppose. I remember someone posting something about an eventually planned WINE Mobile, but that idea might have been buried, I don't know.

Jourdy288 said:
The problem is if you do recompile and edit the game, you're violating a bunch of stuff... Need I go into detail?
Yes, go into detail. Do you actually have a place to get the source? I'm sure someone would do an anonymous port.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved AoK, my favorite RTS. As soon as I'm finished my current project, maybe doing a decent RTS would be nice. Honestly wouldn't know where to start though.

Here's one. Just look under mac osx.
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Download

Sorry for not posting the url as a link but the fast reply messed me up.

Age of empires, the first 3 were fairly simple 2d, and you could probably take the map style from freeciv, so it wouldn't be too hard to remake, even without source code! You just need to simulate the original properly, and everyone's happy! Just don't try to remake the later ones or the company could get annoyed and CoD you.

Edit: oops, there was a second page. Sorry!

rabidpoobear said:
Jourdy288 said:
The problem is if you do recompile and edit the game, you're violating a bunch of stuff... Need I go into detail?
Yes, go into detail. Do you actually have a place to get the source? I'm sure someone would do an anonymous port.
No, I don't. The only way to do that, I think, would be to decompile the game, or somehow get Pickle to make friends with Microsoft.

conso said:
aesir911 said:
conso said:
aesir911 said:
what about battle for wesnoth? will that work? for some reason it doesnt work on my mac... perhaps because it's a mac.
it should work on both.

please don't count on 0AD, there's no way to say if it will run.

do oyu have a link where i can download it for my mac?

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Download ?

thanks, it worked this time...

Jourdy288 said:
No, I don't. The only way to do that, I think, would be to decompile the game, or somehow get Pickle to make friends with Microsoft.
Decompile it into x86 assembly? That's not going to be very helpful.

Also I think microsoft was the publisher not the developer.

Willrandship said:
you could probably take the map style from freeciv, so it wouldn't be too hard to remake, even without source code! You just need to simulate the original properly, and everyone's happy! Just don't try to remake the later ones or the company could get annoyed and CoD you.

Do you mean C&D? CoD is call of duty or cash on demand, C&D is cease and desist.

Also, I think you're underestimating the difficulty of writing games.

rabidpoobear said:
Willrandship said:
you could probably take the map style from freeciv, so it wouldn't be too hard to remake, even without source code! You just need to simulate the original properly, and everyone's happy! Just don't try to remake the later ones or the company could get annoyed and CoD you.

Do you mean C&D? CoD is call of duty or cash on demand, C&D is cease and desist.

Also, I think you're underestimating the difficulty of writing games.

Also Cleft of Dimensions, as I've just found out.

Well, a good engine supporting AoK original graphics could be a solid platform to start other RTSes. It could bring new life to the genre. Also I don't believe Decompiling or Asking Nicely the code is a way to go... A guy once went to a big company asking nicely for the code of a printer driver in order to correct a bug and they refused it to him... But that's another story... .-P

Giepi said:
Well, a good engine supporting AoK original graphics could be a solid platform to start other RTSes. It could bring new life to the genre. Also I don't believe Decompiling or Asking Nicely the code is a way to go... A guy once went to a big company asking nicely for the code of a printer driver in order to correct a bug and they refused it to him... But that's another story... .-P
You can't reuse their graphics legally though.

There is no good Open Source RTS

There is a very good Real Time Strategy Game Open Source (it was commercial for PC and Playstation but was release after 10 years or something):

Warzone 2010. It looks graphics like Commander and Conquer Tiberian Sun, but its more about Tanks and Atelerie. Very nice game with a Giant Tech tree:
http://wz2100.net/download

And it has great videos and a good story :)

rabidpoobear said:

Yeah I'm thinking if you're going to go the lengths, you might as well get the graphics made as well. You could realistically copy the game mechanic and just give it a reskin.

darien said:
rabidpoobear said:

Yeah I'm thinking if you're going to go the lengths, you might as well get the graphics made as well. You could realistically copy the game mechanic and just give it a reskin.

Yeah see that's the idea, it's just like Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends, or Demigod, they're all just reimaginings of the same game.

Back