Airplyr (update 1.5 Final)

Alex.

Retired
airplyrss2.png

This is the final Airplyr update (at least for a long while), and it brings a large number of fixes and improvements:
  • fixed colour banding, which affected most backgrounds
  • tournament overtimes are sudden death (as suggested by prairiefire)
  • paddle moves fast by default (as suggested by subcon959)
  • paddle moves with either the joypad or the action buttons (some other controls changed, please glance over the readme or the game's Info screen to read the new ones)
  • enhanced certain visuals, mainly layout-wise
  • fixed a couple of remaining glitches, and optimized things a bit, I think it runs a tad faster
  • uses less files, and is overall slightly smaller
NOTE: If upgrading from a previous version of Airplyr, please delete all of the game's files from your SD card (except for airplyr-dat0.dat, if you want to keep your previous records) before sending the new ones in.[cut] "Together we can prevent crashes" :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone who left feedback in the last thread, it helped a lot in getting this finished :)

- Alex[/cut]

Hi,

Neither the previous version nor this seem to load the graphics correctly for me.
I get what appears to be a working selectable set of menus but it is all garbaged
as though the lines don't line up.
I hear the music and even managed to start a game with blocks of garbage moving
around.

Is there something odd about the transfer of one of the dat files?
I have tried different SD cards and downloading another copy.
Using XP to copy the files.

ID

Very cool :)

Haven't tried this version, but the last one was great so I'm only expecting better things from this final version :D

Hi,

Neither the previous version nor this seem to load the graphics correctly for me.
I get what appears to be a working selectable set of menus but it is all garbaged
around.

ID
It's weird, because this version uses a different way to load the graphics as the previous version. I see you also have similar troubles with Smash GP. Perhaps it has something to do with the firmware you're using, although I can't see why it should glitch like that, as I use the standard HW-SDL libs from DevKitGP2X. I heard from people who ran it successfully on 2.0.0, 2.1.0, and 2.1.1 (the last one was me, I finally upgraded ;)). Are you using a pre-2.0 or the new 3.0 firmware?

Garbage like you describe usually appears (at least with SDL) when it loads the graphics from an invalid memory, or it's blitting non-existent graphics. Weird stuff :-\ How about trying these games which I know for sure use the HW SDL libs: Downfall, Dance2x Alpha, Noiz2sa ; tell me if they work.

Thanks for all the comments :)

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

around.

ID
It's weird, because this version uses a different way to load the graphics as the previous version. I see you also have similar troubles with Smash GP. Perhaps it has something to do with the firmware you're using, although I can't see why it should glitch like that, as I use the standard HW-SDL libs from DevKitGP2X. I heard from people who ran it successfully on 2.0.0, 2.1.0, and 2.1.1 (the last one was me, I finally upgraded ;)). Are you using a pre-2.0 or the new 3.0 firmware?

Garbage like you describe usually appears (at least with SDL) when it loads the graphics from an invalid memory, or it's blitting non-existent graphics. Weird stuff :-\ How about trying these games which I know for sure use the HW SDL libs: Downfall, Dance2x Alpha, Noiz2sa ; tell me if they work.

- Alex

Hi,

I have been using 2.1.1 since it was available.
Yep, smashgp behaves similarly. I haven't tried those other games, but I will.
I also have a BOB, so I'll see if anything comes out in the serial console.
I wonder if it is the SDL libs. I'll poke around. I suspect it is something specific
to my unit/firmware.

ID

Hi,

around.

ID

- Alex

Hi,

I have been using 2.1.1 since it was available.
Yep, smashgp behaves similarly. I haven't tried those other games, but I will.
I also have a BOB, so I'll see if anything comes out in the serial console.
I wonder if it is the SDL libs. I'll poke around. I suspect it is something specific
to my unit/firmware.

ID

Working: Noiz2sa
Not working: Airplyr. SmashGp and Downfall - same kind of problem - garbaged screen graphics but normal sound and game operation (from what i can make out) - so probably the same root cause of missing libs

I reinstalled http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,31,869 (sdl libs) and rebooted but get the
same symptoms. Is it the HW libs I should be looking for? and is this link a different set of libs?

ID

The HW libs are linked statically as far as I know, so there's nothing for you to install. It just seems really weird that only a few units suffer from this; the problem couldn't be due to large graphics size, as Downfall has a very small graphics file as opposed to Airplyr. I use standard SDL methods to load and display them, so I'm at a loss of words here. Oh, did you try launching them from a different SD card (or the nand?) Give Downfall a go from an alternative location, as its the smallest, and see if that makes any difference.

Sorry for this mate, btw I don't think you need to install the SDL libs anymore since firmware 2.0.

- Alex

The HW libs are linked statically as far as I know, so there's nothing for you to install. It just seems really weird that only a few units suffer from this; the problem couldn't be due to large graphics size, as Downfall has a very small graphics file as opposed to Airplyr. I use standard SDL methods to load and display them, so I'm at a loss of words here. Oh, did you try launching them from a different SD card (or the nand?) Give Downfall a go from an alternative location, as its the smallest, and see if that makes any difference.

Sorry for this mate, btw I don't think you need to install the SDL libs anymore since firmware 2.0.

- Alex

So,

As a test, I went back to Fw 2.0.0 and ran Airplyr - still garbaged
upgraded to 2.1.0 - same
upgraded to 2.1.1 - same
tried a different SD card - same

need to find my serial cable to get the console output

Works great for me... FW 2.1.1 MK1 as well. Very slick game and kind of a pain in the ass to beat the AI ;)

Back