Firmware 4.1.0 For F200 And F100 Is Out

drachers said:
Presumably the Pandora will be available before the end of the year, I can amuse myself with ludicrous mobile phone gaming on the move till then.
Yeah, this :pandora1: have been my thoughts all day since bricking my gp2x.

Does anyone want to sell me a functioning jtag cable? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for unricking when NOTHING shows up anymore, you need the Cradle, a parallel cable (wired-through, nothing fancy) and a serial cable if you want serial output (not needed, but you can see what happens).

This works for any unit from F100 First Edition up until F200. It does NOT work with F200 (B) yet.

Then you need the software for unbricking and a firmware (2.0.0, 3.0.0 or 4.0.0, not minor numbers).

You extract the firmware onto the SD Card and put the SD Card into the gp2x.

Then you put the gp2x in the cradle, turn it on and start gp2xrecovery.exe.
gp2xrecovery should find a gp2x, load up a special bootloader and starts that one when finished uploading. (If it can't find a gp2x, the dosbox window immediately closes. Check your parallel cable, ensure the gp2x is switched on. And it's best to start gp2xrecovery immediately after switching on the gp2x).

After the upload has finished, you can see what happens using the serial out. If you don't have serial output, wait about 60 seconds, then switch the gp2x off.
Switch it on again while pressing START + SELECT (HOME + SELECT) until "upgrading firmware" appears.
If you only see the bootloader screen, you didn't press long enough (or have removed the SD Card).
If the screen still stays black, the recovery didn't work. Maybe you forgot the SD Card or didn't have a gp2xboot.img on the card? Maybe you didn't wait long enough? Check this and try again.

That's it.

Ok, I've updated the news item, given that this update seems to require 4.0.0 or 4.0.2 installed before using lest you brick your GP2x. If I've misunderstood the thread, (e.g. if someone has successfully upgraded to it from 2.x.x or 3.x.x without first installing 4.x.x) then please PM me, and I'll remove the warning.

EvilDragon said:
Well, for unBricking when NOTHING shows up anymore, you need the Cradle, a parallel cable (wired-through, nothing fancy) and a serial cable if you want serial output (not needed, but you can see what happens).
or I can just mail my "brick" to you, right? :blink:

I really don't recommend swamping Evildragon with unbricking requests unless he's charging for it (and any reasonable price including return postage overseas would probably be similar to getting a breakout box anyway). :)

As far as things like motherboards and graphics cards are concerned, we all know how deadly BIOS updates can be. I killed a hideously-expensive-at-the-time Nvidia 6800 once, an event that haunts me to this day...

Will probably get my hobbyist hat on and take a trip to Maplin for the relevant bits to make my own cable. It's not like I can brick my gp2x any brickier. Without a lighter or a mallet, at least.

The update seems to work ok for f-200 v4.0.0 models...at least it worked for me without a hitch. The menu functionality is now much more better using the stylus, but on the downside, each and every application that used the stylus and worked well in the previous version, is now totally f****d up! Long story short, DO NOT UPDATE if you use touch screen apps, which i am sure you do if you have an f-200! Wait till the developers fix their apps for v4.1.0, otherwise v4.0.0 is just fine!

It looks like Mame is finally working for me on my F200 after flashing it to v4.1.0, although it seems to take a long time to load the game list for some reason. I just bought the F200 a week ago, since a friend at work wants to buy my old f100 Mk2. It came with Firmware 4.0.2, and touchscreen apps were already screwed up, so I didn't see this upgrade as a big loss.

I think my Mame issue was technically a problem between SDL and the 4.0.2 firmware, since I had a couple other apps that would give me the infamous black screen. All of those apps appear to be working just fine now.

There's a note at gp32spain that says that after updating you might need to go through the touchscreen test (calibration?) on the settings menu before the touchscreen will work properly. Might be worth trying for those having issues...

Thanks Guyz.

After reading all your posts I will most certainly not be attempting to update my firmware. No siree. :blink:

THANKS EvilDragon. I was having a prob. finding the windows program. I have cable on order so I hope I am back up in a few days.

drachers said:
I really don't recommend swamping Evildragon with unbricking requests unless he's charging for it (and any reasonable price including return postage overseas would probably be similar to getting a breakout box anyway). :)
No, you misunderstand me. I intend to send my "brick" to Evildragon on a one-way journey. I currently own a brick. He can have this brick. He can bring the brick to life and do what he likes with it! I don't have the time, patience nor skills to be Doctor Frankenstein. :)

slaanesh said:
The ultimate firmware version IMHO (for the F-100) is notaz's mod to 2.11 to give SDHC support. Nothing more is required.
is this the 2.1.2 firmware in the file repository, or is that something different? that's what i have on my GP2X now.

hitbyambulance said:
slaanesh said:
The ultimate firmware version IMHO (for the F-100) is notaz's mod to 2.11 to give SDHC support. Nothing more is required.
is this the 2.1.2 firmware in the file repository, or is that something different? that's what i have on my GP2X now.

No, he speaks about notaz SDHC solution you can find in this thread.

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
hitbyambulance said:
slaanesh said:

No, he speaks about notaz SDHC solution you can find in this thread.

Regards,
Stephan

so what is the 2.1.2 firmware? i was under the impression it was 2.1.1 patched with SDHC support.

a6n0rna1 said:
Nope, screen calibration doesn't solve the problem. Navigating and using the GP2X frontend is ok, but when you try to use the stylus on a homebrew app everything goes bananas!
Yeah, looks like the new F200's have a different LCD screen that report stylus positions differently or something. The OS has, of course, been updated to handle this, but either homebrew apps are going to have to be tweaked to handle the new LCD's or the firmware will have to be updated again so co-ords are reported to homebrew programs the same as the old LCD. ..guess we just have to sit tight and see what happens. :unsure:

I had to upgrade to this version, as I just bought myself a 8GB SDHC (Toshiba, Class 4).

Notaz patched 2.1.2 didn't want to read my SDHC either, so I installed 4.0.0 and 4.1.0, and now it finaly works, or at least seems to. Connecting the GP2X to my PC will show me 7.5GB free space in nautilus, but gmenu 0.9 only tells me 3600MB are free, So I am not sure if I will be able to use the full 8GB, but at least now my GP2X recognizes the card.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: i have an F100 MKI, was running 2.1.1 until my 2GB SD died.

Horscht said:
Notaz patched 2.1.2 didn't want to read my SDHC either, so I installed 4.0.0 and 4.1.0, and now it finaly works
4.0.0 SDHC support can be backported to 2.1.2, if there is demand for this. Actually, as far as I looked, GPH just took Open2x SDHC code (which has some of my code, too) and added it to 4.0.0 .

Hello!

I am new to this board and since the end of last week I am a happy owner of a GP2X F200 (B.) but my unit came with firmware 4.00 preinstalled (bought it from eBay). Everything works ok.

Then I installed 4.10 over it and the result was that the touchscreen was kind of reversed. I then learned from the homepage that you have to flash 4.02 first and then 4.10.

So I did that too, but the result was that the touchscreen is not working at all! :blink:

So I flashed back to 4.00 and everything works once again. In my opinion the information given on the GPH website is misleading. All people that have 4.02 and the revised touch screen model should flash to 4.10 to resolve their problems, but as I experienced the models with the old touchscreen will only suffer from updating.

Can anybody here confirm my assumption?

Greetings from Germany

Back