Already Have Hacked Psp 1000, Is Dingoo A320 Worth It?

alexg1989

Still Fresh
at 80 bucks, I'm willing to settle with the Dingoo a320 over my handheld dream The Pandora because that console is way too expensive....

I'm a big ebook reader and the best pdf reader on PSP (bookr) doesn't run alot of ebooks well. Specifically those with alot of images, and downsampling or lowering the resolution does help a little, but not in most. How is the Dingoo's ebook reader?

Is the Gameboy Advance emulator better than the PSP's GPSP?

What really attracts me to this one is the voice recorder (it may not be the best but I sitll need one) and a radio.

I have a question about the radio. Is it an online radio? The PSP has online radio as well but that doesn't help me since I'm no where near any access points so I can't use the PSP's wi-fi capabilities at all. Is the Dingoo's radio the type you see on traditional radios, or is it the online type similar to the PSP's?

Gotta go... I'll be back with a few more ? when I come back in a while....

Just found out I have jury duty tomorrow... it's such a draaaag....

Hi. :)

Because we have the option to install Dingux (Dingoo Linux), most questions have two answers.

Straight out of the box, running native firmware:

- The ebook reader is text only.
- GBA emulation, although thought to be based on GPSP, is unoptimised and not that great.
- Voice recording works decently.
- Radio is FM.

If you install Dingux:

- There are two PDF readers available:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-releases/!reader-for-dingux
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-releases/nupdf-v0-2-release/
- A more optimised version of GPSP, I actually haven't tried it but it should be on par with the PSP version
- No voice recording or FM radio

The good news is that Dingux is installed as a dual-boot OS, so you can have the best of both worlds. IMO the biggest advantage the Dingoo has over a hacked PSP, is that it's half the size and has a massive battery life. Oh, and the Dingoo can jailbreak a PS3. :D In terms of software though, I don't know if you'll see any huge advantages.

Hopefully some others will step in with better feedback on ebooks and GBA emulation in Dingux.

massive battery life huh? That's a huge plus for me since the PSP battery always seems to go out so soon.

haha, everything can jailbreak a ps3 now LMAO.... too bad I don't have a playstation 3... I seriously need to get one and buy god of war 3. The rest were such kick ass games. Can't wait to see the homebrew that devs are able to make with such a powerful system...

Yeah, dual booting is great. I can dual boot the latest official firmware AND custom firmware using the Test M33 Pandora function on my phat. So that's awesome.

some more questions...

Does the Dingoo have a text editor? I know writing on a handheld game system isn't ideal but it sure beats having nothing to write on (as I often do) when I really need to jot something down. I use the PSP Homebrew app PSPWrite fairly often when I'm away from my computer. That's another reason I really wanted the Pandora. It comes with a small keyboard so that would've been perfect.

If I end up getting this Dingoo, I'll definitely be installing Dingux.

What about video playback?

It's such a hassle on the psp when I have to convert every video I want to play into the psp's mp4 format. Especially if it's a movie... Is that an issue with the Dingoo as well? Most of the videos I want to play are either .flv or .rmvb Can I play those without having to convert? What about .mkv files?

psp gba emulator gpsp beat all gba emulator of any handheld.

but psp ghostling beat all handheld too

LOL

i have a lot of handheld. PSP have great emulators but ghostling suck

For battery life and a PSP 2000 lite with a 2200 mah battery it can give you 5 to 7 hours battery life. and i have 2 spare battery for travel, so for me battery life of the psp even beat the pandora :)

Still my favorite handheld is my gp2x with my d-pad mod. Wiz is nice too. im waiting to receive my dingoo i just bought a few days ago

For PSP 1000 Phat:

Better emulation of consoles
Wider variety of software (even against Dingux)
Ability to emulate more modern systems than A320

For Dingoo A320:

Much better battery life
Good Media Playback (most formats/ resolutions supported straight away)
FM Radio including frequencies banned in most countries for public FM broadcast

Basically, A320 has small screen but can play most videos without conversion, also has FM radio. It can be used to play loads of emulators using Dingux and has a great battery life. However, if looking for a better emulator/ game player I think your PSP will already suit your needs.

Have not tried ebooks on either device as use my HTC HD2 for that :)

Dingux/ Dingoo has some pretty cool emulators running well, so if battery life and media are your main thing, go with that. If playing games is more important to you, i'd recommend you keep your PSP :)

Infallible_Atheist said:
at 80 bucks, I'm willing to settle with the Dingoo a320 over my handheld dream The Pandora because that console is way too expensive....

I'm a big ebook reader and the best pdf reader on PSP (bookr) doesn't run alot of ebooks well. Specifically those with alot of images, and downsampling or lowering the resolution does help a little, but not in most. How is the Dingoo's ebook reader?

Is the Gameboy Advance emulator better than the PSP's GPSP?

What really attracts me to this one is the voice recorder (it may not be the best but I sitll need one) and a radio.

I have a question about the radio. Is it an online radio? The PSP has online radio as well but that doesn't help me since I'm no where near any access points so I can't use the PSP's wi-fi capabilities at all. Is the Dingoo's radio the type you see on traditional radios, or is it the online type similar to the PSP's?

Gotta go... I'll be back with a few more ? when I come back in a while....

Just found out I have jury duty tomorrow... it's such a draaaag....

How do you find the screen for ebook reading (psp1000)? I have been hemming and hawing about buying a used PSP for that purpose as well as having portable games. My gp2x screen simply isn't good enough for reading. I usually don't read books with pictures so that isn't an issue. My issue is staring at the screen for an hour or more. The 2 machines I have used that I thought were good enough were my iPaq and palm pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, personally I really like the PSP screen for reading ebooks. The width makes it so that you don't have to constantly keep moving the screen to finish reading a complete sentence.

Gruso said:
- GBA emulation, although thought to be based on GPSP, is unoptimised and not that great.
[...]
- A more optimised version of GPSP, I actually haven't tried it but it should be on par with the PSP version

The GBA emulation on the native firmware works quite good, it has good speed and compability is also very high, 90% of all games I tried run fine with Frameskip 1, which is completely acceptable.
The emulator stretches the image to fullscreen, so the aspect ratio is slightly wrong, which can look strange sometimes. The only games, that are completely unplayable are the ones, the use the full CPU power of the GBA like V-Rally or Doom, those games run much to slow.
The gpsp port on Dingux is more for demonstration purposes, cause it doesn't have any MIPS optimizations like the native one or gpsp, so it runs very slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back