Alternate X keymapping ideas for programmers

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Website
troyanonymous.homelinux.com
The default keymap looks decent for regular use, but I think people who intend to use bash or c++ on the Pandora will want things arranged differently.

For example:
I might move Tab to the leftmost Fn key on the bottom row, then shift everything else over.
edit: God Ginrai said that Tab looks conveniently placed, so you just press Fn and Space at the same time. Maybe so, but if that doesn't work out, I'm going to put Tab over the > key or somewhere where I can coordinate both thumbs, to make it more reliable.
I'm definitely going to try putting Pipe somewhere closer, to make bash simpler.
And I'll probably swap Plus and Equals with those symbols on the right side of the middle row, since I honestly don't even know what those are.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT suggesting actually changing the key hardware. Obviously nobody wants to delay anything. I AM discussing what some of us might be doing on our own Pandoras, in software.

People regularly using C++ on the Pandora would surely carry a portable USB or Bluetooth keyboard, as the Pandyboard will surely not be comfortable for large amounts of typing.

lulzfish said:
And I'll probably swap Plus and Equals with those symbols on the right side of the middle row, since I honestly don't even know what those are.]
The accents, Yen and the Pound sign are the least used characters ever (I've never ever used the Yen symbol, and I've used œ, ±, ←, », ©, ¶ and đ which all would be more useful than the Yen symbol) but the keymap's gotta be for everyone I guess. I'm very happy about the fact that there's software remapping.

eh.. We got "[]", "{}", "()", ";", "," - whatelse do you need? I seldomly use tab while coding as you can always tab whole blocks and there should be some autotab feature in every good editor. However, I think reaching tab is simple with the current setup.
I will probably write scripts at way to school anyway which use a 3-4 letter mnenomics. Doing C is useless anyway because compiling would take ages I guess. But just in the case that I m going somewhere where I want to write stuff (let it be code or normal text) I will take my full usb keyboard.
For games I will use a small usb-numberpad with inbuilt USB 2.0 hub as "wasd" replacement and for additional usb slots for mouse and addtional hardware which I might need.

JayFoxRox said:
eh.. We got "[]", "{}", "()", ";", "," - whatelse do you need?

Agreed with the addition of ":", "\"", "\\", "/", "'", "&", "=", "*", "<", ">", "|", "%", (eh, not that often) "$", (I do php) "!", "`", (mysql, not that important) "+", "-", and "."

Maybe I should just learn lisp...

Kyosys said:
JayFoxRox said:

Agreed with the addition of ":", "\"", "\\", "/", "'", "&", "=", "*", "<", ">", "|", "%", (eh, not that often) "$", (I do php) "!", "`", (mysql, not that important) "+", "-", and "."

Those keys are also necessary for Vim ;)

Hessiess said:
Kyosys said:
JayFoxRox said:

Those keys are also necessary for Vim ;)
I'm actually thinking about ditching vim because of the touchscreen and awkward key combos. Yea, blasphemy, I know.

Kyosys said:
JayFoxRox said:

(slightly OT): there's no lisp for armel yet :)

Personally, I'll be using (or at least trying out) something close to this layout.

I'll probably swap around Ctrl and Alt with the brightness up/down since the keyboard buttons can only register two simultaneous keypresses.

Furthermore, I don't have any use for Compose myself, so I'll probably put another Fn there (and another Shift on X or something) such that I can also type while putting the p&|a on the table.

well, you can always make it so you have a little bar at the bottom of the screen that has the main syntax non-letter characters easily in reach for quick swipes with the thumb as well. I would see that being the easiest instead of using the Fn key a bunch

Back