For Bigger Keyboard - More Keys !

Is number of character keys on current Pandora sufficient ? What is the minimum key number you need

• more then 101 keys

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Standard 101 keys

• netbook style keys

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • HPLX style

• proposal #1

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • proposal #2

• recent

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgius

Still Fresh
Poll comments:

1) 101+ means PC-like keyboard + win keys etc.
2) 101 is standard old-style PC-keyboard (number pad etc., but no Win and menu keys)
3) netbook style (like EEE 701) -76 keys total - 27 letters+10 numbers+12 Fx keys, 11 other keys (~,-,=,{,},\,;,",<,>,?), 16 controls (Esc,break,ins,del,backspace,enter,tab,caps lock, 2xshift,Ctrl,2xalt,space,Win,Menu).
4) HPLX style - like HP 200 LX- 64 keys - 27 letters + 16 numeric pad (10 numbers + 6 math symbols (.,=,+,-,*,/) ), 10 Fx keys, 3 other keys ("\",",",".") , 11 controls (Esc, del, backspace.enter,tab,2x shift, Ctrl, alt, space, menu)
5) proposal #1 - 47 keys - as recent plus one key on the left from "Q", one on the right from "P" and one between "L" and "enter"
6) proposal #2 - 46 keys - as recent plus one key on the left from "Q" and one on the right from "P"
7) recent - 44 keys as depicted here - (27 letters, 10 numbers on top, shift, "<" and ">" on the left, enter, fn and space on the right, del top right)

The point of having 2 alts is usage of right alt as group select. I came to project just today and I do not know weather there is any way to modifications and I would like to hear other ideas. I am happy HP 200 LX user, I am just missing touchscreen and CPU power ... Unfortunately, being Czech, I need a lot of special character keys, which are available on proposal #1 (even I am still lacking "123456789" row, on Pandora it is far away for fast typing). I know that this is primarily gaming device, but I would be very happy to use it instead of my HPLX, if there were more keys on the keyboard. Yes, you *can* use dead keys (and I use them quote a lot), but it slows down typing speed dramatically.

Looking forward to comments
Georgius, Czech Republic

Erm, the keyboard was finalised ages ago and with the case mould being manufactured now there's zero chance of anything happening to the keyboard other than at the very most just the keys being swapped around. Also more keys = bigger Pandora.

It was just an idea about future Pandora II ;-). HPLX is slightly bigger, but still fits in the pocket ;-).

HPLX: 160 x 86.4 x 25.4mm (6.3" x 3.4" x 1") = 351 cm^3 (21.4 cubic inches)
recent Pandora: 140x83.4x27.5mm (5.5" x 3.3" x 1.1") = 321 cm^3 (20 cubic inches)

So I would vote for more keys, sacrifying 2 cm of size ...

Yes, you've unwittingly touched on a very tired (and easily heated) topic. ;) The layout is final, localised keypads may be available later (starting with German), and it's all customisable in software anyway. If you need a full keyboard, there are USB and Bluetooth options.

Now excuse me while I run like hell.

[edit] Ideas for Pandora 2? I'm running faster now. :D

Gruso said:
Now excuse me while I run like hell.

[edit] Ideas for Pandora 2? I'm running faster now. :D

LOL

Bosbeetle said:
Please lock this before the layout frenzy happens again!

What good is a forum where you cannot talk ;)

But yep, pretty much everything is set in stone now. And there have been like a gazilion polls about the keyboard anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, how many keyboard threads do we have now?

Anyway, as stated, no more modifications are being accepted, and secondly, the keyboard is meant to be used with your thumbs so speed isn't really a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back