Clamshell + Keyboard + Linux Ftw!

danboid said:
Will we have a complete, GPL (or MIT or BSD) glx / exa / DRI or whatever other accelerated X11 gfx 2/3D server on release?

Any word on the clock speed?
Oh, yes, this is of top importance. For instance n800/n810 has TI2xxx series with 3d acceleration, but this 3d block doesn't work for some reasons.
And also what kind of linux will we have? I wounder if it will be easy to port different apps. A good landmark will be a port of OO. Yes, I know, this app is a bit too heavy, but still it runs on Zaurus (though you have to wait for it about 3 mins for it to load :D ). For example it is impossible to port OO on nokia's ITs because they don't offer full java support. Will pandora be java-friendly?

Last edited by a moderator:
cappuchok said:
danboid said:
What's that odd, keyhole shaped connector about? I was expecting (hoping for) a standard s-video port? Weren't we promised that we wouldn't need any special cables to do TV out on Pandora?
We won't. The connector is custom to accomodate a wide variety of standards (probably S-Video, Composite and hopefully RGB and/or VGA, as it's called "A/V out", not "TV out") through a bundled adapter cable. I'm guessing the connector also contains the 3.5" audio jack so you can use a pair of headphones without the adapter cable.

So no Component? Do any of those A/V out type cables support P Scan?

Peoples reactions remind me of when Nintendo named the "Wii". :D

People will get used to it. Anyone with some creativity in them will like it and the sheep will follow, as always.

whiskthecat said:
Good call. And also when the Wiimote and the DS were first shown.

GunPei2X said:
whiskthecat said:
Good call. And also when the Wiimote and the DS were first shown.

Most similar to the reactions to the DS. Which has since become easily the most popular and desirable mainstream handheld around for gaming.

Although I must say, a lot of that was a direct result of games that made good use of all the features. Which gives us an idea of what we'll need to have this gain similar acceptance. Tall order, but doable, if the releases to devs are timed right, and the one-click install-via-wifi system is implemented well enough.

Even before the design was revealed, I thought to myself, "I hope they pick a clamshell design in order to protect the screen and controls." While some may complain, I believe this is the best design possible for our gadget. Assuming that it all works well, this will ultimately become a killer gadget for 2008.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort during these last few months. Some of us really appreciate it and look forward to the finished product. Please keep it up!

One last suggestion. I know that when the Nokia N800 was released, Nokia gave away free tablets to proven software developers. By doing this, Nokia encouraged further development with their new tablet (and it worked). I hope that this team will consider doing the same for the major emulator designers from the GP2X. In this manner, they can quickly port their awesome emulators to the new Pandora.

April won't get here soon enough for me!

Yeah, at least discounts for proven programmers would be an awesome thing. But seeing as you've already got Squidge on board (and I assume a few otehrs), I think you're one step ahead of us there. ;)

the only reliable internet i have is my phone. i'll keep this short. i made a full scale mockup w/ paper and cardboard and have been testing it out, and it is AWESOME! Great sizing, placement, feel. my goal tomorrow is to try to upload something

if anyone can upload a video for me, i made two from my phone. if interested, email me at prairiefire at gmail dot com. i'll send the video to your email.

prairiefire said:
the only reliable internet i have is my phone. i'll keep this short. i made a full scale mockup w/ paper and cardboard and have been testing it out, and it is AWESOME! Great sizing, placement, feel. my goal tomorrow is to try to upload something

if anyone can upload a video for me, i made two from my phone. if interested, email me at prairiefire at gmail dot com. i'll send the video to your email.
I emailed you. Reply and send it if Youtube is okay/will work.

whiskthecat said:
hah! And I was just about to say that just like when the Wii was announced, I liked it right away! :D

I was worried it was going to be a slide-keyboard kind of thing and that it would look all strange. Considering that I have to choose between the Pandora and the Eee, the mini-laptop-for-gaming look hit home with me instantly and made my decision quite a bit easier. :)

I like that it doesn't have all these complicated moving parts to break...and the screen is protected. I enjoy my GP2x, but you have to have the case around to keep it safe on the go. This is awesome!

craigix said:
I'm surprised people are surprised, you didn't just expect another generic PSP clone from us did you? :)

We are very much enjoying reading these threads, we have already made some tweaks to the design. And if you are thinking WTF... just give it a few days to grow on you.
I take your word on it! I check back once you are acepting orders :)

I just recieved my cardboard pandora in the mail. I'm now in love with the thing. I was definitely not expecting that to be the size, and since it's so pocketable, the clamshell makes so much more sense.

I'll be placing an order.
Cheers Craig!

synkro said:
craigix said:
I'm surprised people are surprised, you didn't just expect another generic PSP clone from us did you? :)

We are very much enjoying reading these threads, we have already made some tweaks to the design. And if you are thinking WTF... just give it a few days to grow on you.

Off Topic:
What is wrong with you? That's quite possibly the worst avatar I have ever seen. <_<

imec said:
synkro said:
craigix said:

Off Topic:
What is wrong with you? That's quite possibly the worst avatar I have ever seen. <_<

From the TV-out thread...
bacteria said:
synkro - your avator looks obscene!!
:lol:

lol, I specifically remembered that for absolutely no reason.

Back