Basic Pandora Questions, Software

MMCs are fine, they're just slower because they use a single bit instead of 4 bits for data transfer. MMCPlus will also work, but probably only in MMC mode (1 bit), not the full 8-bit MMCPlus mode. RSMMC, mini-SD and micro-SD will also work, with adapters (usually included with the cards).

batfastad said:
2) Whats the reason for going with SD over Compact Flash?
I guess CF has a bigger form factor, but CFs generally faster cheaper and available in larger sizes sooner than other formats.
I don't think it's true anymore that CF is cheaper. The form factor could easily be a big part of the reason. There's a lot of stuff to cram on the little board. And remember there are 2 SD slots, that allows high capacities and more flexibility (which could be even more than the highest capacity CF when 64gb SD cards come out).

It also brings SDIO to the table
there is CFIO too...

Last edited by a moderator:
SD cards are smaller, require less power, and are arguably more common than CF cards. The real reason though is that the OMAP has built-in support for two SD card readers. If we wanted to use anything else, it would have required extra hardware.

CF (storage) cards are also loaded with IDE controllers, making them potentially /more/ expensive than their SD counterparts. I believe for device cards, SDIO is a bit faster than CF as well.

Back