GP2X Alternative Image Viewer For Gp2x

Alghazanth

I haven't been able to find any image viewers for gp2x so far ; and gp2x's image viewer doesn't serve my purpose well (even in comic mode). What I need is a software with fixed zoom options such as %125 - %150 etc and fast scrolling ; to make it convenient for reading doujinishis and manga scans.
I've found various software for gp32 but none for gp2x, sadly. Isn't really any image viewing software availible for gp2x ; if so ; is it because that it is hard to code or nobody think such thing is necessary ?

Image viewers aren't hard to code but I think it's probably that the built in viewer isn't bad enough for most people to be bothered with alternatives.

What exactly is it you're looking for?

The built in viewer let's you zoom in 10% increments and the panning speed is pretty good.

You're always going to have the problem that when the image is zoomed enough to read a comic, the screen only shows a small are of the image - I have the same problem with the GP2Xpdf looking at A4 size pages.

The built-in "photo viewer" is just barely good enough that most people will use it and accept its flaws.
But it lacks several important things I feel should be in a "comic book reader"...
- The ability to open ZIP archived books, typically saved as "CBZ" files.
There are also CBR files, but rar support on linux is essentially frozen in the past thanks to the jerk who made WinRAR. Go figure.
- The ability to set a comfortable zoom level and then quickly (the panning in GPH's version is not quick by my measure) skip across and down each page. Something like CDisplay's "smart" mode; a single key will advance to the next unread section of the page (or the next page, if you have reached the bottom corner). A second will reverse this algorithm, bringing you back up the page and then furthermore to the bottom of the previous.
- Double-page viewing modes. Some particularly important scenes require an artist to draw them across two pages, and if the scanner has divided these into two separate files, we need a button to instruct the program to give us both at once.
- A bookmark saver which can keep track of multiple saved places across directories (or ZIPs, alike).
- The GPH viewer has this weird habit of deciding that the place I was in on file 001.jpg - namely, the end - is where I want to begin viewing 002.jpg. It's aggravating having to scroll back to the top, and painfully slow.
- Other minor nags I'm too tired to think of right now

You're always going to have the problem that when the image is zoomed enough to read a comic, the screen only shows a small are of the image - I have the same problem with the GP2Xpdf looking at A4 size pages.

Of course you're only going to see a bit on the screen... but maybe not the tiny piece you seem to suggest. :)
Words are fairly readable when the scaled width is about double the 2x resolution, meaning you should only need at most one or two jumps to get across the page, and another should take you back to the first side and down about half a screen.

In case it isn't obvious by now, that's exactly what I'm working on. It's true that the viewer itself is fairly easy to write, but getting the blasted thing to compile when I know approximately "zilch" about compilers is proving to be my stumbling point. Afaik two others in the forum history have promised CDisplay clones in the past and never delivered, but I'll get mine done one of these days ^_^

NnT042 said:
The built-in "photo viewer" is just barely good enough that most people will use it and accept its flaws.
But it lacks several important things I feel should be in a "comic book reader"...
- The ability to open ZIP archived books, typically saved as "CBZ" files.
There are also CBR files, but rar support on linux is essentially frozen in the past thanks to the jerk who made WinRAR. Go figure.
- The ability to set a comfortable zoom level and then quickly (the panning in GPH's version is not quick by my measure) skip across and down each page. Something like CDisplay's "smart" mode; a single key will advance to the next unread section of the page (or the next page, if you have reached the bottom corner). A second will reverse this algorithm, bringing you back up the page and then furthermore to the bottom of the previous.
- Double-page viewing modes. Some particularly important scenes require an artist to draw them across two pages, and if the scanner has divided these into two separate files, we need a button to instruct the program to give us both at once.
- A bookmark saver which can keep track of multiple saved places across directories (or ZIPs, alike).
- The GPH viewer has this weird habit of deciding that the place I was in on file 001.jpg - namely, the end - is where I want to begin viewing 002.jpg. It's aggravating having to scroll back to the top, and painfully slow.
- Other minor nags I'm too tired to think of right now

Of course you're only going to see a bit on the screen... but maybe not the tiny piece you seem to suggest. :)
Words are fairly readable when the scaled width is about double the 2x resolution, meaning you should only need at most one or two jumps to get across the page, and another should take you back to the first side and down about half a screen.

In case it isn't obvious by now, that's exactly what I'm working on. It's true that the viewer itself is fairly easy to write, but getting the blasted thing to compile when I know approximately "zilch" about compilers is proving to be my stumbling point. Afaik two others in the forum history have promised CDisplay clones in the past and never delivered, but I'll get mine done one of these days ^_^

The best news I've heard for some time ! I'm really looking for it. I exactly agree all the inconveniences of the default viewer for reading manga. I may be able to have Gp2x as the 'device for everything' ; and stop looking for a used low-end laptop ; just for reading manga ...
Please don't disappear like others did , and even it's not perfect ; any release will be excellent.I'm sure there are also other who will appreciate your work
Ganbatte kudasai ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to add is that the image viewer doesn't anti-alias the damn pictures when they are zoomed out they look really jagged and crap unless you view them at original 100% view. Isn't it possible to have the 2X anti-alias the images when under 100% zoom?

Back