Alternative User Interfaces

I wonder would it be possible to get gnome, kde, and lxde running on Open Pandora. I'm sure it is possible to many system resources being used perhaps. Tel me what you guys think.

linuxftw said:
I wonder would it be possible to get gnome, kde, and lxde running on Open Pandora. I'm sure it is possible to many system resources being used perhaps. Tel me what you guys think.

Pretty sure there are ARM versions of all those Desktop environments.. KDE and Gnome are pretty heavy on disk space, so most likely not installed by default on the NAND.

Last edited by a moderator:
TrashyMG said:
linuxftw said:

Pretty sure there are ARM versions of all those Desktop environments.. KDE and Gnome are pretty heavy on disk space, so most likely not installed by default on the NAND.
I would really like lxde I heard developers got running on ubuntu mobile on Nokia n900

I hope I don't get shot down for this, but...

I really like Gnome. Any chance it would run well?

linuxftw said:

Yes.

But none of those will be the default. If you know how to install a desktop environment on a server debian install, you should have the knowledge required to do it.

SomeGuy99 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say.... no. It burns too many cycles doing seemingly nothing. LXDE looks remarkably similar to default-themed gnome, and yet it's 15x faster.

But if X11 compositing is working, who knows? That'll make anything fairly responsive.

Kramy said:
LXDE looks remarkably similar to default-themed gnome, and yet it's 15x faster.

LXDE, XFCE and soforth are all nice and everything... but they're not Gnome. Don't ask me why, but I have an irrational love of Gnome. I really don't know what it is I like so much about it, but nothing else is a substitute.

I do like XFCE though. It's my second favourite.

B)

And this is my personal taste, so don't flame me... but LXDE is just nasty.

Heh... I like LXDE, Gnome is okay, but XFCE is horrible.

Now what are my criteria? :lol:

Of course its possible, but theres no reason to waste too much resources on a device like this.Gnome has been shown to run. E16 or E17 would be better then xfce imo but we have a lot of options.

That said you should try to search the boards a bit since this has been brought up before.

greendots said:
Of course its possible, but theres no reason to waste too much resources on a device like this.Gnome has been shown to run. E16 or E17 would be better then xfce imo but we have a lot of options.

That said you should try to search the boards a bit since this has been brought up before.
Lxde would be best.

XFCE is the best IMO (Mint Linux + XFCE!!). The team have tweaked it to run at a great speed and it is set up well.

You can install any desktop environment/window manager you want.

Apt-get is probably the easiest method.

I have LXDE running on a virtual machine on my N900 (easy debian) and I have fiddled and installed XFCE [killed some keyboard compatibility, I have installed JWM, KDE, GNOME and tried for E17. But I could not get KDE/GNOME to start, other people have.

This is probably a stupid question by this point, but what package manager does Pandora use? Angstrom uses ipkg, so I'm guessing that's what it uses?

That would mean Pandora doesn't use apt-get...right?

quadomatic said:
This is probably a stupid question by this point, but what package manager does Pandora use? Angstrom uses ipkg, so I'm guessing that's what it uses?

That would mean Pandora doesn't use apt-get...right?
Right.

Fair enough. Sorry, wrong commands.

Isn't there a command (term) to change ipkg to show as apt-get (or anything else?)?

Just changing the wording to package manager?
I saw it written in one of these threads.

Kramy said:
linuxftw said:

Yes.

But none of those will be the default. If you know how to install a desktop environment on a server debian install, you should have the knowledge required to do it.

SomeGuy99 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say.... no. It burns too many cycles doing seemingly nothing. LXDE looks remarkably similar to default-themed gnome, and yet it's 15x faster.

But if X11 compositing is working, who knows? That'll make anything fairly responsive.

Gnome runs well enough on my beagleboard for what I need to do with it and I run it at 1280x800. Optimal speed I'd say it's not the best.. but seems less quirky.

TrashyMG said:
Gnome runs well enough on my beagleboard for what I need to do with it and I run it at 1280x800. Optimal speed I'd say it's not the best.. but seems less quirky.

Is that with all the bells and whistles ?, Such as Nautilus, GDM etc ?.

Trooper

trooper said:
TrashyMG said:

Trooper

yep Nautilus, GDM and etc. I watch videos fine with gnome-mplayer, ScummVM and browse the Web fine. Generally I don't run more than a terminal and the program I'm using.. I'm not over-clocking.

running a fairly recent Angstrom unstable build.

TrashyMG said:
trooper said:
TrashyMG said:

Trooper

yep Nautilus, GDM and etc. I watch videos fine with gnome-mplayer, ScummVM and browse the Web fine. Generally I don't run more than a terminal and the program I'm using.. I'm not over-clocking.

running a fairly recent Angstrom unstable build.

Cool, That sounds great, Thanks.

Trooper

kingoddball said:
Fair enough. Sorry, wrong commands.

Isn't there a command (term) to change ipkg to show as apt-get (or anything else?)?

Just changing the wording to package manager?
I saw it written in one of these threads.

ipkg and apt switches seem to match up (just skimming over this, not familiar with ipkg), so creating an alias or symlink and naming it apt-get will work.

Back