amber light on motherboard

Fzero

Advanced Member
I've just replaced my video card, nvidia one was giving strange psychedelic patterns from boot.

put an old FireGL one i had around, fair bit larger but it fit just about and seems to have sorted the graphics out... a few green dots on the boot screen but by time windows logo shows its all ok.

i just swapped it over and didn't check compatibility which perhaps i should have but while i have.the panel of the PC off i notice an amber led on solid.

its on the motherboard just above the video card slot and next to a chip that has 'clock' written next to it.

anyone know about the lights on motherboard are they codes for error or is a light typical to be on?

I wouldn't have thought so myself and suspect its telling me something is up

cheers

I've just replaced my video card, nvidia one was giving strange psychedelic patterns from boot.

put an old FireGL one i had around, fair bit larger but it fit just about and seems to have sorted the graphics out... a few green dots on the boot screen but by time windows logo shows its all ok.

i just swapped it over and didn't check compatibility which perhaps i should have but while i have.the panel of the PC off i notice an amber led on solid.

its on the motherboard just above the video card slot and next to a chip that has 'clock' written next to it.

anyone know about the lights on motherboard are they codes for error or is a light typical to be on?

I wouldn't have thought so myself and suspect its telling me something is up

cheers
Do you know the brand and model of the motherboard?

- Neelix

I just checked, its a Dell E210882

All i could find about Dell LED codes where relating to the ones on front of tower, power and processor light sequences, nothing about motherboards

thanks

I just checked, its a Dell E210882 All i could find about Dell LED codes where relating to the ones on front of tower, power and processor light sequences, nothing about motherboards thanks
It turns out that E210882 isn't actually the motherboard model, its some other code that Dell uses.

That being said It seems that Dell use modified Intel boards, and from what I have read I suspect that this LED is most likely the standby power indicator. If that's the case then it's purpose is simply to indicate that the board has power, even if the computer appears to be turned off.

- Neelix

Aha, thanks Neelix.

I will put my mind at rest now, i was a little concerned about it just in case it was going to burst into flames or something when i turned my back on it.

Cheers for looking into it for me.

Back