enough in order to use either effectively. Both devices are underdogs
waging a great war to open up the gaming market to new things and
homebrew, and you should learn to appreciate what you have before trying
to knock down something you know very little about. Flaming either device
only aggravates everyone involved and makes people less interested in you
-- instead, be a leader and builder.. construct new and greater
things.. or shut the hell up.
-------------------------------------------

Furthermore, GP32 and Zodiac devs and users can work together; you have *no idea* how many peopel (devs and users alike) have *both*. Look at Squidge and me for instance who build for both. People will develop for whatever they like. If someone stops debvving for GP32 and goes over to Zodiac, then they're likely have gone to code on their cell or whatever if the Zod didn't exist. The reality is peopel will dev for whatever they like and get over it :) The reality is almost no devs moved from gp32 to zodiac. Considering how many devs the zod has versus the gp32 (virtually none :) theres nothign to bitch about.

When I see people bitch out one device or the otyher, it *Really* annoys me, since its means they're just being stupid, and the sort of peopel who make the comments are better peopel than that and it saddens me to see them lowered in my mind from the esteem they once held.

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Apr 5 2005 at 07:50 PM said:
Horscht posted on Apr 5 2005 at 05:19 PM said:
Captainbubby posted on Apr 5 2005 at 03:58 PM said:
May I take this opportunity to urinate on the Zodiac

*urinates on Zodiac*

Why? I still don't get why we can't get along with Zodiac users. Both machines "fight" for the same audience, but still they shoudn't compete against each other. Both machines would benefit, if the scenes would get closer together and work WITH each other instead of AGAINST. just my 0.0002 x 10² cents

They don't get along because they both compete for the same developers. One example: If there was no Zodiac Yoyo would most likely still be deving for the GP32. The SNES emu would probably be much better right now if there was no Z. The Z hurts GP32 developement by taking away developement. That is reality and the main reason. Just like Nintendo and Sony can't work together as they fight for the same audience too.

Well, Tapwave und Gamepark are competing for the users, that's right. But the developers of both scenes could get closer together and develop for both machines. Comparing THAT to DS/PSP or NGC/XBOX/PS2 is just not right, as Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony have a comercial interest in selling their products just like Tapwave/Gamepark. But the developers code for free, and having a larger audience to code for (If they coded for both machines) would give them a large audience which would be able to donate them money. Also, if someone say for the GP doesn't want to code for the Zod and vice versa could only release the source to some coder of the other machine. But with an attitude like that, we won't be able to come closer to the ZOD scene.

BTW: I'm NOT saying we should force them. ALL should be on a free basis. If there were coders that didn't want to port or release their source (not even to a single person who would be able to port), then, fine. And Skeezix (and others, too of course) has exactly the right attitude. And I wouldn't blame them if they left the GP32 with people like you. Damn, sometimes I think about not visiting these boards on a daily bases, because of people like you.

Thought I look a bit on Fellow performance (was better optimized then UAE in its time I think...) and found this:

"Intel systems running at 300 MHz have been tested running some of the most demanding games in real time, without missing a single frame."
(Taken from Fellow "support" site)

Although taken out of context I will do a totally non-scientific explanation why I think it would be possible...

If the game ran with framskip 2 it could be playable and it would need a Pentium II (guessing that this is what they meant with Intel systems) 200 Mhz only... and a Pentium II 200 Mhz does about 200 million instructions per second (yes totally meaningless but anyway) and ARM9 at 166 Mhz (read on a forum that this core does about 1.05 MIPS per MHZ wich means about 175 MIPS...

So I think a optimized UAE (with lots of ARM9 assembler tricks) would work pretty good on GP32...

Btw... Zodiac is probably a great machine... I want one... PSP too... but now I have a GP32 and please... can't we talk about this machine?

We'll see. If a coder says it might well be possible, there is a chance. I myself never had an amiga, but i'm pretty sure i would like it.

You want to talk about the ZOD? sure you can, but better ask it in the other consoles forum.

DaveC posted on Apr 5 2005 at 05:50 PM said:

*urinates on Zodiac*

Why? I still don't get why we can't get along with Zodiac users. Both machines "fight" for the same audience, but still they shoudn't compete against each other. Both machines would benefit, if the scenes would get closer together and work WITH each other instead of AGAINST. just my 0.0002 x 10² cents

They don't get along because they both compete for the same developers. One example: If there was no Zodiac Yoyo would most likely still be deving for the GP32. The SNES emu would probably be much better right now if there was no Z. The Z hurts GP32 developement by taking away developement. That is reality and the main reason. Just like Nintendo and Sony can't work together as they fight for the same audience too.
so dave, your gripe with kind and talented developers (that work on projects in their spare time) is that they havent made you a SNES emulator that works on your GP32 100% compatible 100% speed and that you WANT them to make YOU that before they look at other systems

why cant you let us live as one big happy family?

skeezix posted on Apr 5 2005 at 08:00 PM said:
Someone close the thread; we dont' want to turn this into a daveC bash either :)

jeff
agreed, this guy's attitude is really peeing me off.

I don´t know how many of these that the atari st also has... but still,there are alot of good games that dont have scrolling that I would like to play with the sound chip of the amiga if it ever was made.

example:

Ports of call
oil imperium
Eye of the beholder
Millenium 2.2
Powermonger
Railroad Tycoon
Kingdoms of England
Civilization
Nuclear War

so if anyone would make a Amiga emu I would be verry happy even if it was not so fast...

.... one could always dream.....

(haven´t lost my hope yet)

I know offhand that Millenium 2.2 started as an ST game (ported to Amiga); Powermonger was on the ST but not sure which first, but it may not work too well on CaSTaway. Civilization works pretty nicely in CaSTaway (woot!). Not sure if theres a Railroad Tycoon or not though, or the others.

jeff

skeezix posted on Apr 5 2005 at 08:09 PM said:
I know offhand that Millenium 2.2 started as an ST game (ported to Amiga); Powermonger was on the ST but not sure which first, but it may not work too well on CaSTaway. Civilization works pretty nicely in CaSTaway (woot!). Not sure if theres a Railroad Tycoon or not though, or the others.

jeff

Thanx, you have a greate emu and I really like the support you always give.

Horscht posted on Apr 5 2005 at 08:10 PM said:
Darn, with all you guys going about the Amiga, I should really try some games on an PC emu.

Cannon Fodder and Lemmings with a mouse is a must if you do that (compared to the console versions). Also Speedball 2 was one of my favourites along with Sensible World Of Soccer. :D

moz posted on Apr 5 2005 at 07:57 PM said:
DaveC posted on Apr 5 2005 at 05:50 PM said:

*urinates on Zodiac*

so dave, your gripe with kind and talented developers (that work on projects in their spare time) is that they havent made you a SNES emulator that works on your GP32 100% compatible 100% speed and that you WANT them to make YOU that before they look at other systems

why cant you let us live as one big happy family?

WTF are you talking about? Where the hell do you see a post from me saying that I want someone to make me a 100% Snes emu? I just said the SNES emu would have been been better if Yoyo didn't leave for the Zodiac (which is true). If you are going to flame please make some sense and stop posting stuff that I never said or twist it around. You just are against me just because I don't like the Zodiac. Well too bad. Now Squidge convinced Reesy to leave for the Zodiac too, you should be happy about that.

Charge posted on Apr 5 2005 at 08:34 PM said:
Darn, with all you guys going about the Amiga, I should really try some games on an PC emu.

Cannon Fodder and Lemmings with a mouse is a must if you do that (compared to the console versions). Also Speedball 2 was one of my favourites along with Sensible World Of Soccer. :D

Thank god, an Amiga emu! Is this the end of the fanboism Amiga-emulator-nah-sayers?? Or will they continue until every last game is 60/60 with full sound?

;-)

Psst, I've got a Zodiac on order btw... please don't pee on me, I'm still the same person! I'm not a bad person now :p
Mind you, if anyone get a Gizmondo, grrr I think we (GP32/Zodiac) should all pee on them!

(j/k)

fdave posted on Apr 5 2005 at 11:25 PM said:
Charge posted on Apr 5 2005 at 08:34 PM said:

Thank god, an Amiga emu! Is this the end of the fanboism Amiga-emulator-nah-sayers?? Or will they continue until every last game is 60/60 with full sound?

;-)

There is no Amiga emu for the GP32. It is for Palm and has no sound and only emulates SOME of the chips, meaning that compatibility is low. It runs at 5-15 FPS . It is only a partial emu as it doesn't emulate the whole thing.

The Amiga is much to l337 fot the GP32 to emulate.

Almost veryone is going to the Zodiac now huh? Wow the end is near.

DaveC .. You must be sick or somethign.. you just seam so down the last couple days where usually you're pretty up :)

To folks in general....

In the end... just let devs do as they like without layering your own self interest onto them and guilting them. Its their time, and they should do as they want without having to worry about others.

You can hope and you can ask, but lets not make a big war out of it.

Its really quite a shame the way gp32 folks react when they hear someone is buying another device. Like god forbid :)

GP32 scene has been around probably 4 years now, through lots of other things; I think the gp32 will outlast most other devices, even if its not being sold anywhere. Its a great retro device and easily coded for. Its only a shame its super expensive to buy in most places due to lack of sales outside of UK and Spain, which has kept its audience down. It'll live through Zodiac, and Gizmondo, and PSP and DS, and we'll see whats next.

Squidge went away for a bit and came back; hes doing whats fun. If reesy steps out for a bit.. so what/ He'll do whats fun, be it GBA, GP32, Zodiac/Palm, DS, whatever. Its all good.

Think of it like one big community of mobile gamers.

jeff

skeezix posted on Apr 6 2005 at 02:22 AM said:
DaveC .. You must be sick or somethign.. you just seam so down the last couple days where usually you're pretty up :)

To folks in general....

In the end... just let devs do as they like without layering your own self interest onto them and guilting them. Its their time, and they should do as they want without having to worry about others.

You can hope and you can ask, but lets not make a big war out of it.

Its really quite a shame the way gp32 folks react when they hear someone is buying another device. Like god forbid :)

GP32 scene has been around probably 4 years now, through lots of other things; I think the gp32 will outlast most other devices, even if its not being sold anywhere. Its a great retro device and easily coded for. Its only a shame its super expensive to buy in most places due to lack of sales outside of UK and Spain, which has kept its audience down. It'll live through Zodiac, and Gizmondo, and PSP and DS, and we'll see whats next.

Squidge went away for a bit and came back; hes doing whats fun. If reesy steps out for a bit.. so what/ He'll do whats fun, be it GBA, GP32, Zodiac/Palm, DS, whatever. Its all good.

Think of it like one big community of mobile gamers.

jeff

Well it is sad to see the GP32 scene die. I have watched the Amiga die as all devs fled to the PC or mac. I see the same going on here, all leaving for the Zodiac in droves now. Many of the big name devs on the GP32 are going to the Zodiac lately. Who will be left on the GP32? Not to many is seems. Reesy has done a great emu on the GP32 now it will all be done on the Zodiac, plus he will probably even do DrSMS on it. He most likely would have done that on the GP32, but not now. I know he said he will still do some stuff on the GP32 but we all know that won't happen. Yoyo said the same thing and look no GP32, all Palm. So what I have to buy a god damn Zodiac again? Ugh I hated that analog stick with a passion, I just hated playing emulated stuff with it. Also I will be back babysitting the Zodiac by having to be constantly remembering to charge even if not in use so I don't loose all of my stuff and need to restore it. PDAs are a pain in the ass. No fuck it, Fuck the GP32, fuck the Zodiac. It is time to go and get a GF or something..

Now I know why the banner at the top is black, I thought it was for the pope, I guess it is really for the GP32..

Back