Amiga Racer

That does look nice, like an old classic arcade racer ... After watching that I fancy a little play on RoadBlasters 

Jesus, that looks awful. Look at the white halo around the trees in the first screenshot. And around the car in the shot to the right of the first image. Does nobody pay any attention to detail anymore? 

D.

Jesus, that looks awful. Look at the white halo around the trees in the first screenshot. And around the car in the shot to the right of the first image. Does nobody pay any attention to detail anymore? 

I didn't see the screenies (until you posted). I just watched the YouTube vid, which makes it look like it's still a WIP so such issues can be forgiven.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the car handling looked a bit iffy but overall the GFX moved along at a fair old lick for their size.

Will be nice to see how it progresses.

Yeah, I appreciate that it's just the work of one guy, in his spare time and therefore can't be held up to the likes of such powerhouses as the Lotus series or Jaguar, but that sort of thing would drive me nuts if I were the author and it'd be fixed bloody quickly. The engine itself appears competent though.

D.

Yeah, I appreciate that it's just the work of one guy, in his spare time and therefore can't be held up to the likes of such powerhouses as the Lotus series or Jaguar, but that sort of thing would drive me nuts if I were the author and it'd be fixed bloody quickly. The engine itself appears competent though.

D.

Offer him a hand and we could get a Pandora/Pyra port :)

I'd say he needs to work on the car animation a bit more first to improve the presentation personally.  But adding alpha blending to each of those trees would certainly be too much work for old Amiga hardware, and I'm not sure how well more recent stuff would cope with it without dropping the frame-rate too much, so technically it might be worth getting on top of that one first.

I'd say he needs to work on the car animation a bit more first to improve the presentation personally.  But adding alpha blending to each of those trees would certainly be too much work for old Amiga hardware, and I'm not sure how well more recent stuff would cope with it without dropping the frame-rate too much, so technically it might be worth getting on top of that one first.

Who needs alpha blending? He just needs to trim the pixels properly rather than relying on a paint package's "select similar" tool. Either that or drop those god-awful photorealistic sprite cutouts and get someone competent to draw the graphics properly. We didn't see fringing like that in Lotus, did we?

D.

Well, he's trying to use photorealistic trees with practically fractal detail at the edges, to give it a modern look.  I've a feeling that if he does crop them harshly enough to get rid of all of the background tint around the edges, he'll end up with something that doesn't look as up-to-date.  But I'm not a very competent graphical artist, so what do I know?

That's the problem, isn't it? He's using photorealistic sprites for lots of them - and when you're thinking about targeting the Amiga then that just won't fly - if you're going to do that then you really need either a competent artist or alphablending. c.f, Road Rash on PS1 which uses photorealistic graphics and gets the clipping right in most of it. 

The Amiga is a paletted device if you're going to aim for (at most) AGA (RTG didn't have very great penetration for the games market) and PR images do not translate well down to 256 colours or less unless you like dithering, which will be very apparent at the Amiga's default resolution of 320x256 (PAL). The game could look much better with decent art, or at least more attention to detail.

D.

Well, it's not coming out on classic Amiga (OS 3.x) until some point next year, while you can download development builds for OS 4.x, MorphOS and Linux, so it looks like it's currently targetting PowerPC-based hardware or newer, most of which can probably manage high-def 24-bit colour displays.

If you wanted to be cool with that effect it would be at night, against a lightpost backdrop. Or just on one side as light shines onto it. Or move it about as noise to create the illusion of wind.

When its like in the demo images, its because someone crudely cut it out of something white without tracing the edges by hand, and then put it on a coloured background.

D.

Its not finished yet. The bases of the lampposts also extend onto the road. Also i think SLKs have more negative camber on the rear-wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I'll wait for a Pyra though and plug that into my TV.

Hi all :)

I gave this game a go on my PPC Mac running MorphOS, and it's rather nice (there's room for improvement though...).

Btw, the author is sending a collector's edition to anyone who donates 30 euros or more.

EDIT: donated yesterday, parcel already on its way !

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
Back