Amigaanywhere - About The Api Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS: If you are truly open and want only truly open software then it must be PUBLIC DOMAIN not GPL or any form of Public License. You don't retain any right or credit over the work.
hibyeya6.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
now you're just being ridiculous. craig didn't say you claimed they had anything to do with the A500/600/1200, he said that so anyone who happened to be reading wouldn't get confused. and you're attacking him about open software because you can't defend why anyone one here should even consider being interested in this.
I was poking at his one comment. Lighten up. A question like - "Why should I use AA?" That is quite a deep subject. Why should I use Qt or SDL?

I'll reciprocate that question.

I'll go with why do I want to use AmigaAnywhere. I'll prepare that later.

now you're just being ridiculous. craig didn't say you claimed they had anything to do with the A500/600/1200, he said that so anyone who happened to be reading wouldn't get confused. and you're attacking him about open software because you can't defend why anyone one here should even consider being interested in this.
I was poking at his one comment. Lighten up. A question like - "Why should I use AA?" That is quite a deep subject. Why should I use Qt or SDL?
I still don't see what you're trying to accomplish. There is already a good open source Amiga emulator ported (or is in the process of being ported). Why is this such a big deal?

Guys, If you are not interested in the topic then don't read this thread.

Let those people who do have an interest in the topic read. Be civil. Otherwise, you shall be treated the same way.
I'll remember to be a jerk when you post something that I find unboring an uninteresting.

Treat others like you want to be treated. This is just a kind request. I'm not the type of person who will go into a thread
that I find uninteresting and be a jerk and ridicule them for talking about something I am not interested in.

This is a forum with 100s to 1000s of readers, it is expected that there is threads that are uninteresting.

I didn't claim it was.

PS: If you are truly open and want only truly open software then it must be PUBLIC DOMAIN not GPL or any form of Public License. You don't retain any right or credit over the work.
You're obviously misguided on what Public Domain offers. You retain both credit and right over the work, claiming Public information as your own is still plagiarism, and you retain all the rights as an original author, other then the ability to prevent people from duplicating your work for any reason (I can say I wrote Alice and Wonderland all I want, but that won't make it not plagiarism, nor will it make it so I can gain a copyright). That's pretty close to identical to what the MIT license is. Saying that GPL isn't open makes me think that if you're even a coder you've never released an open piece of code in your life and are just trying to make an excuse for you to feel better about yourself for some reason of which I don't understand. That or it's just a regurgitation of the "real programmer" crap. Open has always been about the freedom of use and the freedom of ideas. That freedom is not restricted by the GPL, GPL just has a "I'll only be open if you're open" stipulation, cause playing truth or dare with a bunch of liars isn't much fun.

Honestly though just take a kind request and leave the subject alone. This forum doesn't want this discussion, especially seeing as your trying to push a project on people who don't want it. Either do it yourself and perhaps enjoy the credit you'd get for porting/reverse-engineering/whatever (I'm not sure what the legal statement of AA is, nor what resources you would have, nor do I really care, I'll leave that so someone interested.) get or stop asking. "Programmers" nagging other programmers to do something to make their life easier is annoying as hell, and that more then any other reason is why people want you to stop talking about it. So take a hint and let the topic go or purposefully cause enough trouble and be banned, honestly it makes no real difference to me. (And before you go into some freedom of speech crap (It's normally what's follows a mass outcry of STFU, so I'll address it now), you have no such freedom here. This forum is neither open nor protected by that said amendment. Or I should rephrase, that amendment doesn't protect you but the owners of the medium of communication. This is their communication channel, and that means they have full rights to control it for whatever reason they want. A common misconception based on pure ignorance. Even if you could somehow convince me that those "rights" apply to you you threw them away when you agreed to the license of the board... too bad for you.)

Alright, annoyed rant mode over.

Let those people who do have an interest in the topic read. Be civil. Otherwise, you shall be treated the same way.
I'll remember to be a jerk when you post something that I find unboring an uninteresting.

Treat others like you want to be treated. This is just a kind request. I'm not the type of person who will go into a thread
that I find uninteresting and be a jerk and ridicule them for talking about something I am not interested in.

This is a forum with 100s to 1000s of readers, it is expected that there is threads that are uninteresting.
Meh, It's not the fact that I'm disinterested that matters. The fact that the moderators are specifically disinterested matters. If you want to talk about it, find your own place to do it... this isn't it. You had one topic closed and tried to recreate it, quite annoying. You can be as much of a jerk to me as you want... no sweat off my back.

Why you should use SDL:
1) It is open-source.
2) it is widely supported.
3) it has bindings to pretty much every popular language (Python, C++, C#, Ruby, Perl, Ada, D, Erlang, Haskell, Java, Lua, Objective C, PHP, Smalltalk, and Tcl)
4) it is cross-platform.
5) you can ask for help and there are actually OTHER developers using it who will help you.
6) it is a good layer of abstraction - just high enough not to give you headaches without getting in your way.
7) you don't have to sign Software Developer Agreements
8) SDL can be used in commercial applications without giving ANY money to ANYONE or having to ask ANYONE permission to release YOUR software.
9) There are a ridiculous wealth of instructional materials / tutorials for it.

Why you should use AA:
1) RickAstoria likes it.
2) You get restrictiveness.
3) You get free harassment from Amiga if you write software that does anything useful
4) You get to pay 40% of your profits to Amiga
6) You get to invest a lot of time in learning it just to figure out WHAT IT DOES that SDL doesn't
7) You get to sign agreements with a company that has a solid reputation for being greedy and shifty

I think I'll choose AA for my next project!

wrong. stop trolling, nobody's interested, openpandora has it's name for a reason. yes, some threads are uninteresting, but this one is bad because you've already gotten your answer.

You get to invest a lot of time in learning it just to figure out WHAT IT DOES that SDL doesn't
Exactly. If AA is so good that I have to be restricted to use it, then it should at least explain to me what it does that's so special.
Like, show a demo or example from an existing program.

Qt has KDE 4, the Qt demos, etc.
SDL has a few games and some really good tutorials.

Where are the examples and demos for AA doing something I can't do with SDL or Qt?

Xian and others: (except the Moderators)

Quit speaking for other people. You don't have that right. If you are not interested in this topic then don't read this thread and don't post to this thread.

Troll (trolling): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
What is inflammatory, controversial, or irrelevent of AmigaAnywhere? NOT Amiga Inc. I don't want or care about the emotional diatribe about Amiga Inc. and how much you hate them. I didn't post this thread to invoke emotional responses. Children, grow-up. The scope of relevancy is that it is a cross-platform API/VM framework that I felt is worth talking about and incorporating in some way and use on Pandora. I'm looking at getting a Pandora and want to run AA on it and develop apps and games for Pandora (and others) while using AA. and may even cross-implement several APIs.

So please save me, the moderators and everyone the headache and don't read or post in this thread if you are not interested. If you have problem with AA that you can't do the simple task of ignoring the thread and not posting in it - then you seriously need psychological help. :rolleyes:
Forums like this is about free and enjoyable discussions. There was a person interested in the subject and for any others that might be interested is afraid to talk because of you and others that are making a big ordeal. Lets try to enjoy this forum and discuss whatever we ant to discuss (within the discretion of the moderators). If the Moderators has an issue about AmigaAnywhere then let me know via private email or here in a polite and courteous manner. I react better that way. :D

PS: CraigX, We might have got off on the wrong foot. I apologize if I reacted to you negatively but it is easier to be polite, courteous and respectful. My reaction usually is better.

PM to rickbalkins(AT)gmail(dot)com

So please save me, the moderators and everyone the headache and don't read or post in this thread if you are not interested. If you have problem with AA that you can't do the simple task of ignoring the thread and not posting in it - then you seriously need psychological help. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I'll ignore you for now (which is what I would've done most likely if you didn't pull out that GPL isn't open crap, that stuff is annoying)... seeing as this has been closed and then reopened means at least some mod disagreement, so whatever, not an issue with me at all. My apologies for rant mode I suppose... carry on I suppose... though I still think that you're pushing a closed topic where it doesn't even belong. At least saying we should run it on pandora has something to do with pandora, an API doc dump doesn't have much of anything to do with the pandora does it (and is completely developer oriented, which would mean even if it could be said to deal with pandora, it's still in the wrong place)? (if I dumped info on SDL's api here it wouldn't fit either). That's speaking for myself... but you've appealed to Ceasar... so I'll let Ceasar deal with it.

Well I'm out! /me leaves the topic megaman style.

Exactly. If AA is so good that I have to be restricted to use it, then it should at least explain to me what it does that's so special.
Like, show a demo or example from an existing program.

Qt has KDE 4, the Qt demos, etc.
SDL has a few games and some really good tutorials.

Where are the examples and demos for AA doing something I can't do with SDL or Qt?
That wasn't might point. It wasn't about what is better but diversity and supporting.

I'm not going to make comparison as to what API and creativity of a programmer and what you can or can't do. I haven't spent alot of time to make games and demos with AA but learning it and working with it is something I am willing to learn. If I had a development team of 20 to 100 some old folks, I probably can do alot more. If you want a demo or game, I would have to spend time making the demo or game. Of course, it wouldn't be as good as what can be done by a larger team working our butts off for 9 months. I don't possess any of the demos and stuff by anyone else other then the demonstration stuff packaged.

BTW: I reserve copyright to my games and right to release it to PD.

. That's speaking for myself... but you've appealed to Ceasar... so I'll let Ceasar deal with it.

Well I'm out! /me leaves the topic megaman style.
I'll accept that. I felt the Developer sub-forum wouldn't. It might be too premature to put it there.
The General sub forum was more appropriately as it is rather loosely connected.

Thanks for understanding. I'm willing to set up and address this appropriately and set up a forum if needed... (just need a webhost capable for operating a forum - again). I'll be willing to make that happen and connect this community with it. This is the best sub-forum at this time. I'm not too fond of running forums myself. I want to keep a solid connection of stuff that I work on with AA with Pandora as with anythin I decide to do with SDL or Qt.

I've never yet seen anyone here trying so hard to get other developers to devote their free time to something that nobody else is interested in.

I haven't spent alot of time to make games and demos with AA but learning it and working with it is something I am willing to learn. If I had a development team of 20 to 100 some old folks, I probably can do alot more. If you want a demo or game, I would have to spend time making the demo or game.

I am simply speechless.

"I haven't actually", "I am willing to learn", "if I had a ton of money and people", blah blah blah.

What's in this for you? If you want to make games, why not use something you already know? Or learn something that WILL be ported to Pandora?

On the other hand, if your job is salesmanship, you are not very good at it (to be fair, the poor reputation of your parent company makes your job very difficult).

Rick, I'm really not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. Craig Rothwell of the OpenPandora project has already told you very forcefully that he is not interested. You still haven't answered the question of "what advantages are there to your idea", which was asked in the previous thread.

Also, please note that this is not the official forum of the OpenPandora project. This is a community-owned forum. The only possible avenue of getting what you want is you convincing a hobbyist developer to do this thing in his spare time. Does this strike you as likely, when your idea has failed to find a single supporter, but instead has draw very negative reactions from respected community leaders?

Amiga, Inc. has a bad reputation. I did that Google thing that Craig suggested, and it doesn't turn up anything very nice.
It is hard to quantify the technical merits of an API based on existing AA examples made by very few developers. There is some out there though. The whole Amiga/Hyperion issue hurt Amiga Inc. and development for AA. So using those examples are difficult and uncompelling. You have to look beyond that to see the internals of the SDK. Granted it is a commercial API/VM and openware API has some advantages but when you get into open-ware development, everything must be open and you can't expect to make a buck commercially if you use free code base. I don't expect to get paid for programming in this world anymore and can't see anyone on their own.

If those Amiga Inc. folks kicks and falls into the bucket - that SDA won't really matter.

As far as compiling AA code to run on Pandora, I'll just deal with it. I should be able to cross-compile the code to ARM binary Extracting a player out from the SDK and compiling, I have yet to figure out.

Comparing commercial API to a open-source API (you have some advantages with open source) but supporting both commercial and open source API has some advantages. I am not familiar with SQL or Qt to compare but with as many APIs out there, you probably can do collectively what AA can do but it is about choice. When it comes to API/VM, it shouldn't be a matter of debate or argue API. Most would just welcome more API options without a question.

I don't believe UAE being supported on Pandora is because everybody wants it. Granted there are more Amiga users than AA but programming on an A1200 would require different thinking and more direct to hw otherwise, you'r programs are going to be slown down.

If you want a real proof of what AA can do, you'll have to wait until someone puts the time to put together a quality game but be realistic about a crew of 1-10 persons. I can probably pixel stuff and some code (after some re-engaging and practice in this area and what not). You just going to have to wait a little bit before I can put together a piece of sw. I'm no musician so I would need a musician to put music into the prg. I would have to take the role of programming more or less but also have to be the Pixeler.

Granted it is a commercial API/VM and openware API has some advantages but when you get into open-ware development, everything must be open and you can't expect to make a buck commercially if you use free code base.
FALSE.
SDL is LGPL version 2 license. LGPL lets you use the library for ANYTHING you want, even COMMERCIAL stuff, so long as you link to the library so users are free to update / link to custom versions of SDL.
From the SDL site:
"SDL is distributed under GNU LGPL version 2. This license allows you to use SDL freely in commercial programs as long as you link with the dynamic library."

So as that was one of your concerns with using SDL vs. AA, what other concerns do you have? We can address those as well.

If those Amiga Inc. folks kicks and falls into the bucket - that SDA won't really matter.
But it DOES matter because they DO still exist and they DO still have a bad reputation.

with SQL or Qt [...] you probably can do collectively what AA can do but it is about choice. When it comes to API/VM, it shouldn't be a matter of debate or argue API. Most would just welcome more API options without a question.
but you're asking people to help you with it. If you just want to work on it yourself, port it, and post an announcement here when you're done, and let people know how they can get started using it.
Our main issue is that you're coming here trying to recruit people for something that ISN'T currently an option on Pandora until someone makes it so, and it's sounding like you're not the one to make it so.

I don't believe UAE being supported on Pandora is because everybody wants it.
No, but SOMEONE wants it and they're making it so. If you want AA then make it so. Don't try to convince us of the merits of it, port it and show us what it can do for us. If I want to see what SDL can do for me, I can go to their website and see it plainly laid out for me. Where do I go to see what AA can do for me?

If you want a real proof of what AA can do, you'll have to wait until someone puts the time to put together a quality game but be realistic about a crew of 1-10 persons.
Okay, I think we can agree that the purpose of APIs is to make our jobs as programmers easier, right?
Well, using python+pygame, I can build a Pong game in about 25 minutes.
Make me a pong game in AA, please. SOME example is better than NO example, which is exactly what we have currently for AA. Don't make excuses about a large team size, something simple should be easily doable if there's any merit to the API whatsoever.

'm no musician so I would need a musician to put music into the prg. I would have to take the role of programming more or less but also have to be the Pixeler.
Pong takes no music, one sound effect (a bouncy noise) and no graphics (white block for a bar, white square for a ball). It has very simple collision detection and animation requirements.

@RickAstoria
I have seen videos of AmigaAnywhere running on the GP2x. They even had a picture of the GP2x on their website (which pissed off a lot of people around here hehe). But i never heard of a single game that was ever made for it, nothing. In the unlikely event that Amiga Inc. wrote a vm for the pandora, i have my doubts if i will ever see anything on the pandora either... And as it is as closed as it is, i doubt anyone wants to port it.

I still don't see what you're trying to accomplish. There is already a good open source Amiga emulator ported (or is in the process of being ported"]. Why is this such a big deal?[/quote]This is exactly what CraigIX was worried about. People equating AmigaInc's "AmigaAnywhere" with the actual Amiga computer. People see the word "Amiga" and immediately think of one of the greatest machines in the world of retro-computing - and that's what AmigaInc want you to think.

They're an insidious, spiteful company that has done nothing of note with their good name except for turning it into a very bad name.

Avoid them, avoid their ridiculous SDK/VM, and maybe they'll lose enough money to go under for good.

D.

This article (despite being a couple of years old) is a very interesting read for anyone who hasn't Googled yet:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1...-amiga-continue

If you don't want to get bogged down in who-sold-what-and-sued-who, jump to the halfway point and read from "The Bigger Picture" for a good summary of what AmigaAnywhere actually is (and isn't).

For an easy life it's best to avoid anything with the name Amiga that isn't from the classic days.

I had hopes for the Amiga but finally realised that there wasn't ever going to be a decent sized market and I got sick of spending £800 just for a small PCB with a rather slow CPU on it.

These days I just buy Apple instead, same ridiculous pricing and the warm feeling of not giving any money to Microsoft or the beige box shifters.

There's simply no merit in writing software for a platform designed by the Amiga Inc guys. For an easy life you need to write in technologies that are widespread. OpenGL ES, C/C++ etc..

Even Java would be better than using some API with about 10 users. Android is Java based, they just use a different class file format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back