An Appropriate Mouse?

loz_the_guru

i cant think of a good custom member title. Sugges
Website
Visit site
Well ive decided its about time i got my ibook a mosue. i dont really wanna pay the 35 quid the official apple mouse costs, but i dont want an unsleak nasty looking thing compromising the sexiness of my ibook either. ANyone got any good tips for a happy medium? Links appreciated :p

I bought an Logitech MX1000 Laser-mouse, and a nice big mouse mat for it (A3 size). It's a excellent match, and just seems like perfection - ultra smooth with high resolution and precision. Costs about £40-£50 for the mouse, and about £15-£20 for the mouse mat.

I would second the MX1000. The Razor Diamondback and the MX 518 are supposed to be pretty good as well.

I've got a Razer Viper on me PC, and a MS wireless mouse on me Mac. I gave up trying to keep the mouse in tune with the look of the mac. Basically, unless you get an apple mouse, nothing will look quite right. Have you looked at the MightyMouse?

The mightymouse does look mighty fine, but ive never spent more than ten quid before, and refuse to do so now. Plus, given that OS X hasnt been designed with one in mind, I wonder how useful the 2nd button will be.......

The MX1000 is awesome, although without tweaking the middle click doesn't work with Firefox properly. Also it's fast forward buttons and 3 side buttons are likely to be useless to you unless they've made really good Mac drivers.

I don't seem to have any problems with the middle button on my MX1000 - what problems did you encounter? Bear in mind that I didn't install the drivers - they went straight in the bin, as I think Logitech drivers are quite basically, crap, and the Windows default ones work much better.

loz_the_guru posted on Aug 23 2005 at 07:46 PM said:
The mightymouse does look mighty fine, but ive never spent more than ten quid before, and refuse to do so now. Plus, given that OS X hasnt been designed with one in mind, I wonder how useful the 2nd button will be.......

OS X is perfectly built for two buttons. You get context menus everywhere just as you do if you ctrl-click. I couldnt go back to a one-button mouse now - too restricting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Aug 23 2005 at 10:46 PM said:
I don't seem to have any problems with the middle button on my MX1000 - what problems did you encounter? Bear in mind that I didn't install the drivers - they went straight in the bin, as I think Logitech drivers are quite basically, crap, and the Windows default ones work much better.
Without the SetPoint drivers, the middle mouse button does work, but I hear the others don't. Plus we bought the Wireless Desktop so we needed to have all the keyboard's crazy buttons work as well.

On Windows, a registry hack unlocks the full functionality of the drivers - you can have 'transparent pass through' (which restores the middle button) and also application-specific keybindings. Saves me from moving my hand away from WASD in games :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the only button that doesn't seem to work is the middle one on the side - the one labelled as the application switcher. I wouldn't use that anyway to be honest, as I find such functionality pretty useless on a mouse, and installing the drivers normally provides there own faults, such as the registry hack that you mention.

I bought an "Logitech internet navigator keyboard" for some reason, and hated the fact that all the F-keys were changed to do weird and wonderful things, and that it had that stupid F-lock key that defaulted to off, so you had to press at every reset. I ended up throwing the keyboard at the wall and buying a Saitek Eclipse instead. Much better. The functions keys just do exactly what they are meant to and nothing else.

Back