An Upgrade Gone Wrong

Zybex

Still Fresh
Tried to upgrade the firmware in a vain attempt to get the USB connection working properly, but the first time it hung on the green loading screen, the second it seemed to work and reached the usual menu but it would not play videos or show images. Tried again and now it is sticking at the NAND formatting screen. It has been for an hour for several attempts.
I am using a clean formatted sd card and a power adaptor and am very close to throwing the damned thing through the wall. Anyone help?
If I hadn't paid so much for it, I would have taken a hammer to it before now.

FW 2.0?

Did you power off, and turn back on holding the start + select buttons ?

TelcoLou posted on Jul 27 2006 at 12:13 AM said:
FW 2.0?

Did you power off, and turn back on holding the start + select buttons ?

Yes. It was 2.0 to begin with, but I was trying to replace g_ether.0 and had no joy just copying it so I tried putting the new file in the firmware files. This failed and I gave up, so now I am using the stock 2.0 files.
It goes through the Firmware upgrading>patching>Formatting routine quite happily. It just stops dead at the formatting stage. The manual says that bit takes 3-5 minutes, but it is still doing after 30.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Jul 27 2006 at 01:03 AM said:
Yeah, it has done it though, sometimes you need to write protect the sd card.

Tried that. It makes no difference. I think I will just leave it alone overnight see what happens and hope I don't wake up with it burning merrily next to me.

Sorry to hear you've had trouble. The only trouble I've had upgrading firmware since the original was to 2.0, and I had to write protect my SD card, for some weird reason :unsure:

Good luck tomorrow!

Shikaku posted on Jul 27 2006 at 02:41 AM said:
Sounds like a faulty NAND... you might have to return it...

That's what I was thinking. It was still "formatting" this morning.
I am not prepared to fork out for a breakout board orr jtag cable, but without those there is no way of telling what is going on.

I had one gp2x with that problem and checked the formatting via a serial cable.
It definately had hundreds of NAND errors, so it might be your problem, too.

EvilDragon posted on Jul 28 2006 at 04:21 PM said:
I had one gp2x with that problem and checked the formatting via a serial cable.
It definately had hundreds of NAND errors, so it might be your problem, too.
Did you need to send that back or is it software repairable? Sounds like hardware.
I have emailed gp2x.co.uk but have not had a reply. Is it craigix runs that?

Back