Analog nubs stopped working on the desktop enviroment

Einherjar

Still Fresh
Good evening to everyone :)

First things first: I am an absoute linux newbie and a got my pandora just a few weeks ago. So please answer as nob friendly as possible :p

The title pretty much says it all. The nubs dont work on either the full desktop enviroment nor the mini menu anymore. The input detection tool still recognizes them and they still function very well while playing games but i cant use them to controll the mouse cursor.

Im not sure if its some kind of setting i accedently changed or if i hit a key combination that switches them of. Like i said, im really new to all of this.

Also, i didnt alter anything regarding the fimware or the menus, like installing hotfixes etc. Is there a way where i can see which version i have installed and what i need to upgrade ? I usually hesitate to install things like that if im not 100% sure which update i need to install next. Heck, im not even sure how i do a firmware / menu system update :p Its like learning to walk again...

And another question out of couriosity: The input detection tool shows L2 / R2 buttons. Are these just placeholders or is there a "switch" feature like the "fn" key ?

i hope that somebody can help me, i feel like a total noob asking such rudimentary things :p *blush*

Not sure about nubs, but the L2/R2 detection is because there are connections on the circuit board for L2/R2 triggers but there are no actual buttons in production pandoras. Enthusiastic modders can physically solder the extra buttons in place and cut holes in the case if they feel like it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you examined the nub settings and checked they are in mouse mode?

To see what version of the firmware you are running reboot the Pandora and look on the bottom & top right of the screen during the boot process.

What's happened, most likely, is that an application that sets the nubs to Joystick Mode crashed (possibly on exit, so you wouldn't have noticed it), and failed to set them back to the standard mouse mode.

There should be an option in the Xfce (full desktop) menu - I think it's in the Settings section - called something like "Change Nub Mode". Change them back to mouse mode there, and it should fix the problem.

Regarding seeing which firmware version you're using, as of Hotfix 5 (we're officially on Hotfix 6, now, with Hotfix 7 and Super Zaxxon in testing), it will say in the top right-hand corner of the screen during boot-up. Hotfixes (PNDs that you download and run to update an existing installation) are generally cumulative, but moving from Hotfix 5 to Hotfix 6 in this way is known to cause some problems, and in that case a full reflash is a better bet. Instructions for that are here, under the heading "Complete firmware image including all Hotfixes 2011-10 (Zaxxon)".

I hope this helps! :)

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mr_Loon. :ph34r:

Hmm, that sounds interesting :)

I read some time ago, that people have done it to a PSP. The modeled the case in a way, that two extra buttons would fit in and connected them to the D-Pad (wich is used as L2/R2 in the build in PSX Emulator)

But i completely lack any needet skill to do things like that :p I would just turn my pandora in pricey dust catcher :D

So, regarding my system: On the top is says "beta 1.1" and on the bottom " Release 1.5 super saxxon"

And many many thanks to you prometheus. The nubs were stuck on Joystick mode. I guess you were right about the program crash issue (the PSX emulator crashed yesterday).

Thanks for the link about the firmware updates. I´ll read through it carefully and see if everything is up to date ;-)

Also, praise for your MegaMan ZX name / avatar ;-) Im a huge MM fan, almost nerdy about it :p So kudos to you ;-)

So, regarding my system: On the top is says "beta 1.1" and on the bottom " Release 1.5 super saxxon"

And many many thanks to you prometheus. The nubs were stuck on Joystick mode. I guess you were right about the program crash issue (the PSX emulator crashed yesterday).

Thanks for the link about the firmware updates. I´ll read through it carefully and see if everything is up to date ;-)
Glad to be of assistance! :D

Incidentally, I believe that the current Super Zaxxon release is now Beta 1.2, and it fixes some bugs, so you might want to drop on over to the Beta Testing section in order to check that out.

Also, praise for your MegaMan ZX name / avatar ;-) Im a huge MM fan, almost nerdy about it :p So kudos to you ;-)
Thankyou so much! :) You're the first person, to my knowledge, who's caught it as the Mega Man ZX reference that it's supposed to be, rather than a mythological one!

To expand on what DM says above, perhaps you ought to take a look at my Mega Man collection?
grin.gif

It's always nice to meet a fellow fan - it feels like Capcom's fixing to make us something of an endangered species lately, doesn't it?

Back