And now for something completely different (Keyboard Option)

wow that is super cute! would love to put something like that in a mobile diy laptop.

i am sorely tempted, but it is a bit odd now that i look into it. but sounds like, if they have a driver, they might be willing to open source it and you could change the behavior of the fn keys?

i'd immediately make caps a "tab..." probably...

wow that is super cute! would love to put something like that in a mobile diy laptop.

i am sorely tempted, but it is a bit odd now that i look into it. but sounds like, if they have a driver, they might be willing to open source it and you could change the behavior of the fn keys?

Funny you say that - but the updated firmware for the Nano swaps the layers between Caps and Tab, effectively making Tab top layer. But - where I would really like to put Tab is where Esc is now so that it follows standard Querty for Tab (which I use) at the expense of Esc & Caps lock - that I don't even need on the top layer. If they were to open up the firmware, it would make this keyboard far more interesting.

It clearly has updatable firmware (thus the firmware update) BUT they only released the firmware as a Windows executable (so far). I -wish- it were open source, but it's a compiled executable.

I was more interested in the overall feel for that size of keyboard. It is as small as you can make a mechanical switch keyboard and still have full touch typing functionality. I had an idea a while back to take a minimalist mechanical keyboard with full sized usable keys then graft a Pyra's gaming controls above left & right of it. The minimalist keyboard doesn't need navigational buttons - the Pyra controls take care of that. Mouse functions = nubs. So, this gives me a chance to figure out if the keyboard portion of that idea is viable. It is - but I'd want the layout to be considerably different from this one.

So - about quieting a Cherry MX brown keyboard so it is usable in an office... I have an idea. Thin felt or rubber washers. The noise that the keyboard makes is actually caused when the backside of the keycaps strikes the tops of the switch towers. Something - anything - to turn that sharp impact into a 'bounce' or absorb the energy of the impact should quiet it considerably.

well, let me know if they open it (or at least provide a custom-key-mapping configurator firmware generator). you could mention both, and hope they realize the open part would be easier ;).

well, let me know if they open it (or at least provide a custom-key-mapping configurator firmware generator). you could mention both, and hope they realize the open part would be easier ;).

The weird thing about this little programmable mini keyboard is that there isn't a forum/discussion/contact point for the manufacturer. It is like they are deliberately not trying to form any kind of hacker/maker/mod community around it - even though this little device would lend itself directly to those types of projects.

I have long wanted a new laptop (as opposed to an old luggable, which I want for a totally different reason) with a real keyboard. When I initially looked at that keyboard I thought I might enjoy finding a use for it, however I quickly changed my mind when looking a little closer. Grench pretty much persuaded me away from considering it, plus I might as well stick with something that is mostly a typical full size qwerty since I have no practical reason to mix it up.

I also was a bit let down that they put caps lock there. I would probably just do the old software swap found in most Linux distros...which has caused a couple headaches for me in the past. I would rather just stick with my Unicomp "Linux" layout. I do love looking at and trying out different mechanical keyboards, though.

I wonder if Unicomp ever released the new tenkeyless design they promised years ago, or if they have anything else new. Faux on-topic: Looking forward to trying my keyboard with the Pyra.

@Grench, don't be ashamed of using a mechanical keyboard and trying to silence its greatness. There was once a (long) time where the clicking of keys was a sign that work was being done. ;)

I have long wanted a new laptop (as opposed to an old luggable, which I want for a totally different reason) with a real keyboard. When I initially looked at that keyboard I thought I might enjoy finding a use for it, however I quickly changed my mind when looking a little closer. Grench pretty much persuaded me away from considering it, plus I might as well stick with something that is mostly a typical full size qwerty since I have no practical reason to mix it up.

I also was a bit let down that they put caps lock there. I would probably just do the old software swap found in most Linux distros...which has caused a couple headaches for me in the past. I would rather just stick with my Unicomp "Linux" layout. I do love looking at and trying out different mechanical keyboards, though.

I wonder if Unicomp ever released the new tenkeyless design they promised years ago, or if they have anything else new. Faux on-topic: Looking forward to trying my keyboard with the Pyra.

@Grench, don't be ashamed of using a mechanical keyboard and trying to silence its greatness. There was once a (long) time where the clicking of keys was a sign that work was being done. ;)

Oh, I'm not ashamed of using a mechanical keyboard. I have several IBM type M keyboards - including a real IBM tenkeyless type M from a PS/2 model 25. Back then IBM sold them at a discount or as stock with the lowest end PS/2 models. Good luck finding one.

I love my type M keyboards. They're simply not allowed in the hyper quiet office environments of today. If I could get away with using them on my work desks I would.

The firmware update for the Vortex core flips the assignments of Caps Lock and Tab - putting Tab on the top layer. That alone is a big improvement.

I fiddled around a bit more with the Core last night. I put TWO rubber O rings on every key stem and it's now quiet enough to survive use in a modern office. It also has the effect of lessening the throw distance to bottom. I learned to type on a manual typewriter, so I tend to bottom out any keyboard anyway - may as well cushion the landing. Plus I find that I type 'lighter' on a keyboard with less throw than the MX browns normally have.

I also did an initial look into the L1 and L2 programmable layers. I didn't get far, but they do work. Programming is done directly within the keyboard - no app needed. The L0 layer is not programmable, though you can flip a few of the assignments around for Fn and Pn and the left space bar.

It isn't my 'primary' keyboard yet, but it is showing promise.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter, so I tend to bottom out any keyboard anyway
I "learned" on an electric after having developed bad habits that are still with me. The typewriter I own is manual, so whether typing on that or the keyboard I am smashing down on those keys and making lots of noise (Quiet Deluxe my ass :D).

Sucks that office workers of today aren't always allowed to use the superior and still adequate stuff of yesteryear. I wonder if they will eventually transition everything to touchscreens and ban the noisy mice and rubber dome keyboards currently in use.

Back