Andlinux Poc V2.1 Released

LordDavon

I have updated the web page and populated the first mirror (ratx). Please read the README file before installing. I am working on an update process for andLinux which should be available in the first beta. For now, upgrading is a little tricky.

Sorry for the delay. It is explained in the README.

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux

David

======================

The changelog is as follows:

ChangeLog 3/5/06 v2.1:

* Added mounting of Windows CDRom and Floppy
* Increased Clolinux Block Device nodes from 4 to 8
* Sync'ed to Debian Unstable @ 12PM EST on 3/5/06
* Added Windows CDrom and Floppy to static settings file
* Lowered memory from 192MB to 128MB (this is the memory used for andLinux and must be available)
NOTE: On an original (older) P4 1.6Ghz system with 256MB RAM, andLinux was easily able to do 2.6.14 Kernel development with
only 64MB. 96MB did speed performance, but only slightly. There wasn't any noticable performance increase when going to
128MB or 196MB. 128MB was chosen over 96MB as user needs may require the extra 32MB.
* Added WinTap driver (NAT [Network Address Translation]) per Henry Nestlers request.
This is a different style of networking which is faster and has increased benefits over the default slirp networking that
andLinux uses, but must be manually configured. I will try and automate this in the next version. Since WinTap [NAT]
doesn't work on all systems, slirp was chosen as the default networking protocal for andLinux. You can read the instructions
for configuring NAT at the following site: http://wiki.colinux.org/cgi-bin/coLinuxNet...9346e5bbfe41a37
NOTE: andLinux is based on Debian, so you will need to follow the Debian instructions. Also, you will need to ignore
the XML configuration instructions since andLinux does not use XML configuration. Instead, just enter the settings_static.txt
file and change the following lines from:
eth0=slirp,"",tcp:5901:5901/tcp:7100:7100/tcp:22:22/tcp:21:21/tcp:137:137/tcp:138:138/tcp:139:139/tcp:1000:1000/tcp:5000:5000/tcp:1001:1001/tcp:5001:5001/tcp:16001:16001
#eth0=tap
To:
#eth0=slirp,"",tcp:5901:5901/tcp:7100:7100/tcp:22:22/tcp:21:21/tcp:137:137/tcp:138:138/tcp:139:139/tcp:1000:1000/tcp:5000:5000/tcp:1001:1001/tcp:5001:5001/tcp:16001:16001
eth0=tap
Then save you settings_static.txt file

* Updated Xming to latest version to correct the "clipboard bug"
* Added Old folder for transferring files from POC1 to POC2.1
* Updated startup instructions file (motd)
* Added deborphan application
This allows users who remove packages/applications find other packages which no longer have anything dependant on them.
* andLinux now includes a fresh swap file in the Drives folder (255K compressed)
If andLinux's startup time increases drastically after a fresh Windows reboot and the hard drive is constantly being accessed
during this time, unzip the swap.zip file overwritting your current swap. This has corrected this issue in quite a few systems.

Changelog 1/19/06 v2.0 (unreleased):

* Added sound (you will hear a noise on startup) to andLinux using the Enlightenment Sound Daemon (ESD) from the Cygwin project.
NOTE: Since sound is sent to Windows via networking and networking is buffered, sound is also buffered. I am currently working
on a solution to make sound more "real time"
* Updated Xming
Using its cleaner integration with Windows.
* Updated the CoLinux engine with a new version with custom modifications for andLinux by Henry Nestler
* Xming and ESD now start and stop with andLinux
* Changed slirp networking setup with modification suggested by Henry Nestler
* Modified andLinux to do a ckfs of the filesystem on every boot (this actually speeds startup)
* Xming and ESD are now transparent to the user (interface cleanup)
* Modified the way andLinux handles semephore files
* Moved the file systems out of test mode and activated the journals
* Using new features of slirp, CoLinux daemon, etc.
This allows andLinux to now be installed on any drive/folder. Even though I am still defaulting the folder name to andLinux,
you can rename the folder to anything you like.
* Added the following applications:
cvs
lynx
unzip
samba will be added for networking and printing, but these features are slated to be preconfigured in Beta 1.
* Made settings.txt dynamic. settings_static.txt now holds andLinux's settings
This is a configuration cleanup to accomodate the up-and-coming Windows/Linux configuration tool (Beta 1?). This is only a temporary
modification as all settings will be moved into a subdirectory and each category of settings will have its own file.
At this time, you will need to adjust settings_static.txt in order to adjust your settings.
* Sync'ed to Debian Unstable @ 4PM on 1/17/06
* Removed the gp2x development libraries into a separate download
* Created the plugin system for development libraries
Addition of this feature is slated for Beta 1.
* Modified andLinux's startup.bat file to accomodate chages
* For safety reasons, andLinux no longer mounts your complete Windows C: drive as /mnt/c
andLinux will now mount the folder where it was installed as /mnt/and. To help avoice confusion, I have included a
files folder off of your andLinux install folder to place files for transfer. You can then access these files in
Linux as /mnt/and/files.

Changelog 12/17/06 v1.0:
* Initial release!

Seems. Nice, so a P4 HT at 3 GHz with 1gb ram will run this thing like a mother?

Sounds excellent. keep up the hard work.

I've downloaded lots of things in POC1 and am using a separate partition for linux on POC1 can I upgrade to POC2 without downloading all 300MB again?

PSyMastR posted on Mar 7 2006 at 02:32 AM said:
Seems. Nice, so a P4 HT at 3 GHz with 1gb ram will run this thing like a mother?

Sounds excellent. keep up the hard work.

It should run nicely on your system.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
pcklee123 posted on Mar 7 2006 at 04:55 AM said:
I've downloaded lots of things in POC1 and am using a separate partition for linux on POC1 can I upgrade to POC2 without downloading all 300MB again?

You will need to download the 320MB's and follow the installation instructions. The new features should be worth it. The upgrade feature won't be ready until beta 1.

You can mount your old drives by following the upgrade instructions and move your information into the new version.

David

LordDavon posted on Mar 7 2006 at 01:59 AM said:
If andLinux's startup time increases drastically after a fresh Windows reboot and the hard drive is constantly being accessed
during this time, unzip the swap.zip file overwritting your current swap. This has corrected this issue in quite a few systems.
aha, I guess that will solve my problems :).
Sound and cd mounting is also nice :D.

(downloading now ^^).

aapje89 posted on Mar 7 2006 at 03:47 PM said:

There are also other changes that will help your issue, but I do not know if this will correct yours. Please let me know.

David

LordDavon posted on Mar 7 2006 at 11:46 AM said:

There are also other changes that will help your issue, but I do not know if this will correct yours. Please let me know.

David

How do you start a simple shell script using sh??
Each time I tried to launch a script, I got an error as if sh was not installed...help please

LordDavon posted on Mar 7 2006 at 01:00 PM said:
pcklee123 posted on Mar 7 2006 at 04:55 AM said:

You will need to download the 320MB's and follow the installation instructions. The new features should be worth it. The upgrade feature won't be ready until beta 1.

You can mount your old drives by following the upgrade instructions and move your information into the new version.

David
Thanks I did it. I deleted POC1 and reinstalled everthing from scratch (cause I couldnt fit everything on one partition) Everything works well but then I wanted to try the tuntap networking. So I changed the line in settinsstatic.txt and I dont get X anymore. I changed the network to 192.168.0.40 with gateway 192.168.0.1 as described on the website. I can ping to surrounding PCs. I tried to export DISPLAY=192.168.0.1:0.0 from colinux-console-fltk What should I do to get X?

gdelappa posted on Mar 9 2006 at 06:15 AM said:
LordDavon posted on Mar 7 2006 at 11:46 AM said:

David

How do you start a simple shell script using sh??
Each time I tried to launch a script, I got an error as if sh was not installed...help please

First, if the file is executable... you should be able to just run it. If not, you can either type sh or bash before the file name... or 'chmod o+x <filename>' to make it executable. Lastly, may need to specify the location of the file to execute.

examples

./script

sh ./script

bash ./script

You may also want to add the current path in your .bashrc file. Just add the following line to it:

explort PATH=$PATH:.

Since andLinux is for development, I wanted to give it the same default PATH setting as most other Linux distro's. I think I am going to put it up for vote though since many of the users are new to Linux.

David

pcklee123 posted on Mar 10 2006 at 02:56 AM said:
Thanks I did it. I deleted POC1 and reinstalled everthing from scratch (cause I couldnt fit everything on one partition) Everything works well but then I wanted to try the tuntap networking. So I changed the line in settinsstatic.txt and I dont get X anymore. I changed the network to 192.168.0.40 with gateway 192.168.0.1 as described on the website. I can ping to surrounding PCs. I tried to export DISPLAY=192.168.0.1:0.0 from colinux-console-fltk What should I do to get X?

The problem is that you will need to adjust the IP of your Windows machine (already detected and set in andLinux) in /etc/profile. WinTap doesn't work with my Laptop (conflicts with the Intel IPW2200B/G device), so it is untested. Do not worry, you can run colinux-console-fltk.exe (from your andLinux folder) to open a non-X based console Window and then edit /etc/profile to add the IP setting.

andLinux already sets the your Windows IP in the $WINIP environment variable, so you do not need to try and set it each time it changes. Just change these lines at the bottom of /etc/profile from:

export DISPLAY=10.0.2.2:0.0
export ESPEAKER=10.0.2.2:16001

To:

export DISPLAY=$WINIP:0.0
export ESPEAKER=$WINIP:16001

If I can get it finished, I will have this automated in the next version. A user will only have to change a setting on the Windows side and andLinux will configure itself.

David

OK finally got it to work. need to set -ac option on xming to turn off access control
Thanks david.

Back