Android Based Handheld Game?

Javacat said:
I thought it was good at the time, but I'm not really bothered either way now. I lost interest in the Pandora a couple of years ago. If they hadn't appeared though, we'd have probably had the Pandora a long time ago :p
I don't think the Pandora was even publicly announced two years ago.
Looking back, development of the Pandora didn't really take long at all. It's just that we were along for the whole ride which makes it seem long.
A lot of the design details of the Pandora were decided on through discussion with the GP32X community. While the Odroid might be opened afterwards by publishing schematics and stuff, the Pandora actually had a reasonably open development process.
The Pandora isn't open source hardware and it was never intended to be or sold as such.

Last edited by a moderator:
OrR said:
I don't think the Pandora was even publicly announced two years ago.

It was. End of 2007 was the first release goal, although it was stipulated as just that, a highly optimistic goal point without any real certainty behind it. Still, you can see it was officially announced.

It was never the end of 2007. We aimed to have the first prototype units for Spring 2008.

I think we revealed the initial planned design in January 2008.

craigix said:
It was never the end of 2007. We aimed to have the first prototype units for Spring 2008.

Fortunately for you the forums currently only return 200 results and it's not an easy thing to search for so I you'll have to wait for me to show you the posts I'm talking about.

EDIT: Okay, here it is.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/38044-craigix-discloses-information-on-new-gp2x/page__view__findpost__p__547408

Exophase said:
craigix said:

Fortunately for you the forums currently only return 200 results and it's not an easy thing to search for so I you'll have to wait for me to show you the posts I'm talking about.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/38044-craigix-discloses-information-on-new-gp2x/page__view__findpost__p__547408

Wow, quite a blast from the past that! Mid 20's, not a care in the world. Ha.

That was clearly before the project took to being what it became. If you find a scan of the first Pandora teaser promotion it clearly says 'Spring 2008'.

But yes, fair enough I did say that then.

Exophase said:
craigix said:

I like this one the most:
craigix said:
We are also trying to keep everything nice and simple in the way it works.
At the End, it really was a bit more complex than everyone expected, right? ;)

OrR said:
That doesn't really count as an official announcement...

I completely disagree. Anything that involved craigix directly saying without any doubt that he's working on a handheld constitutes an official announcement. So sometime in early summer 2007.

I suppose that's the risk of an open project: Every word you say publicly is taken as an official announcement. :p IMO, admitting "we're working on this neat little thing" in a forum isn't quite the same as putting out a press release that reads "Pandora to be released by December, most powerful handheld on the market", and I only count the later type as official announcement.

My original point, however, was that Javacat cannot be right if he says he "lost interest in the Pandora a couple of years ago" because there was no Pandora. Even if you count the statement by Craig as official announcement for something, it's not the official announcement of the Pandora, as only a few details were known about the design back then, many of which changed, while the design of the Pandora, again according to Javacat, "never really changed." What he is saying seems somewhat incoherent to me, that's what I was trying to show.

OrR said:
I suppose that's the risk of an open project: Every word you say publicly is taken as an official announcement. :p IMO, admitting "we're working on this neat little thing" in a forum isn't quite the same as putting out a press release that reads "Pandora to be released by December, most powerful handheld on the market", and I only count the later type as official announcement.

I never said that the December goal was an official announcement, just that the platform itself was officially revealed. Has OP ever made press releases to begin with? What are we considering press releases?

OrR said:
My original point, however, was that Javacat cannot be right if he says he "lost interest in the Pandora a couple of years ago" because there was no Pandora. Even if you count the statement by Craig as official announcement for something, it's not the official announcement of the Pandora, as only a few details were known about the design back then, many of which changed, while the design of the Pandora, again according to Javacat, "never really changed." What he is saying seems somewhat incoherent to me, that's what I was trying to show.

Sure he can be right. It was known that craigix and others were doing a handheld, what is there not to lose interest in? It doesn't matter if various details weren't confirmed until slightly later. You said that the Pandora hadn't even been announced 2 years, as in, craigix et al hadn't confirmed that they're actually doing it. They had. I believe the name was disclosed well before December 2007 as well, and the decision to use OMAP3530. I think the only thing that hadn't been revealed until later was the clamshell design (ie, first renders), those would be very slightly less than 2 years old. 2 years if you round at all. What I had mentioned was that the design had been chosen long before it was announced, but that isn't necessarily known to most people.

I give up.
white-flag.jpg

If I recall correctly, the website and the new forum section here at GP32X were made public in December of 2007. That is the first time anything became 'official' although the first PCB wasn't even done until the end of February, 2008 then populated in March. The first FDM case of a basic case prototype was made early to mid Feb. 2008.

Anyway, to get back on topic, has anyone received an ODROID yet? Maybe not on this forum but is there a link to blogs, webchat or forums where someone might have received theirs and has reviewed it? I'm curious to read how easy/hard it is to set up and use for the average person such as myself.

A blog search didn't turn up any blogs of people that actually have them yet. I think they are still in pre-order even though it says it shipped.

Maybe it's just vaporware, the company is lying to gain something? I don't know what they would gain though.

second exodous said:
A blog search didn't turn up any blogs of people that actually have them yet. I think they are still in pre-order even though it says it shipped.

Maybe it's just vaporware, the company is lying to gain something? I don't know what they would gain though.

Apparently only 300 were made for this batch. Shipping from Korea does take time for most people, and this is over a weekend so it's unrealistic to expect anyone to have one until at least tomorrow. If people got them I'm sure we'll see something next week. It would be nice to at least know of someone who is expecting one.

If they were lying then they went through an awful lot of trouble setting up their dev page for nothing. Okay, they went through a small amount of trouble setting up what looks like a pretty hard to follow site. But still something.

They already shipped over 1,000 units to Korean developers from October.
There is a big community for Embedded Linux in Korea. Odroid seems to be a very hot item now...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&tl=en&u=http://www.aesop.or.kr/

Google translation is far from awesome. But it is understandable at least...

World wide shipping will start from 18-Dec-2009.

Another news I heard from that site...

Normal end user(consumer) version will be about US$250 and available from end of January.

The differences between platform developer edition and consumer version are here..
- No Schematics data.
- No low level Debugging utility PCB board
- No Extra Battery
- 6 GB flash memory (Dev edition includes 2+8 = 10 GB, normal edition includes 2+4 = 6 GB)

I think it is pretty acceptable price.... maybe.. ;)

SONY said:
6GB flash memory?...as in SDHC or MicroSDHC (trans-flash) cards?

For dev edition...
Flash -- 10GB (2GB Micro-SD for u-boot/kernel/Android system, 8GB SDHC for user space)
According to this link
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/HardKernel-Odroid/

So, I presume it will have 2GB Micro + 4GB standard SDHC...

SONY said:
Ok, thanks.

I hope it's not under the battery for the normal one.

How many times you want to replace the cards a day?
I think I'll not change my card because Odroid can be connected to PC as a USB memory card reader (mass storage device)...

I believe the battery cover WILL prohibit the bad habit of my friends. B)

Back