Android gingerbread in a pnd?

Hmm, I'm having difficulty connecting to encrypted access points. If I try to connect to an encrypted access point, it connects, acquires IP address, and then immediately disconnects and all available APs disappear: even the one that I had just connected to is suddenly not available. Cycling the wifi doesn't make a difference, it just sits disconnected and refusing to scan for new APs. Adding one by hand doesn't work either, it says it isn't available. It's like the wifi driver has crashed somehow but it's not giving any sort of indication of it. I can connect to an open AP, but only if it's done from a clean boot.

edit: after install gapps below, it appears that I don't have this problem anymore. I have also power cycled my Pandora since then and that may have solved the problem as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
@scorpio16v ok according to http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Google_Apps

the version of gapps needed for us (android 2.3.4) is 20110613, you can get them here http://goo.im/gapps/...0613-signed.zip

once you have successfully booted android (latest r3 version) for the first time on your pandora close it down again.

Copy the contents of that gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip to this directory "pandora\appdata\android_gingerbread\" on the sd card your pandora PND is.

Boot up android again, if it asks you to sign in to your google account as part of the start up wizard just press skip as there is no way to "slide" the keyboard out.

once android is fully booted, go into settings > accounts & sync

click add account and add your google account deatils in there.

if you want to install the latest google play you can download it here http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1648333 use one of the file explorers to install it.

launch google play and now im at the same point as you, the market works but it only shows a half a dosen or so apps.

i installed flash 11.1 for android and it runs nice for animations (not for video though quite choppy although sound is ok). and best of all no RED bar at the top :)

Ok, that's the easy way. :D

The package, I've tried seems to run anyway. If we install the 20110613 package, is the download problem, caused through the small cache solved ?

Or do you need to fix it too ?

@notaz im guessing since this needs 3.2 kernel and we cant use any spare ram for DSP in 3.2 kernel that the pandora android cant use DPS either?

Flipping the power switch to go into standby causes the wifi to crash. This is the reason for my wifi troubles.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned it (I assume it was said somewhere in the last several pages, but I'll repeat just to be sure), closing and opening the lid causes the screen to default back to portrait mode. Can't figure out how to get back to landscape once that happens.

Flipping the power switch to go into standby causes the wifi to crash. This is the reason for my wifi troubles.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned it (I assume it was said somewhere in the last several pages, but I'll repeat just to be sure), closing and opening the lid causes the screen to default back to portrait mode. Can't figure out how to get back to landscape once that happens.

I actually found that going in to standby and back out again is the only way to restore wifi once its been disconnected but it doesn't always work. If you come back from standby and the wifi doesn't come up try flicking it back into standby and out again.

I also found however that after a few times going into and out of standby the on-screen keyboard dies and I have not figured out how to get it back. This makes typing symbols difficult as the hardware keymap is still incomplete.

- Neelix

no that problem is not solved :( im sure this is something notaz can change or fix for r4 :)
Yeah I'll add the symlink scorpio16v wrote about

@notaz im guessing since this needs 3.2 kernel and we cant use any spare ram for DSP in 3.2 kernel that the pandora android cant use DPS either?
It should be possible, somebody just needs to set all that stuff up.

In other news I've got battery indicator working, and made some progress with debugging 3D slowness issue (it involves C/C++/Java code (SurfaceFlinger most likely) and closed 3d driver code interacting in some bad way, so it's rather difficult to figure out).

Does this play nicely with other stuff installed on SD2 yet? Thought I saw a mention of it needing its own SD card to run.

D.

I think its not so much that it needs its own to run, so much as if the card you use in the right socket for removable storage hasn't been initialised with the file/directory structure its expecting it will just erase it without warning.

- Neelix

I think its not so much that it needs its own to run, so much as if the card you use in the right socket for removable storage hasn't been initialised with the file/directory structure its expecting it will just erase it without warning.

- Neelix

Ah, right. Shan't be running this then! I only have 2 SD Cards, and I really don't want this to trash my stuff :)

D.

Ah, right. Shan't be running this then! I only have 2 SD Cards, and I really don't want this to trash my stuff :)

You could just backup the data on the SD card you want to use. I did that with my regular second SD card when I made the video of Fruit Ninja/Angry Birds/Angry Birds Space, since I only had 3 SD cards (and the SD card I usually used for the Pandora didn't have a whole lot of space on it, not likely enough for the video).

But it doesn't seem to me it's erasing my cards due to "file/directory structure". In fact, it hasn't erased my cards at all. Are you sure it isn't due to the filesystem type, Neelix? All my cards are FAT32. Or maybe it's a problem that was fixed in r2?

It's forcefully running some fsck-like thing and also does full SD card scan for media, from which it generates some sort of large metadata, so is writing lots of data, I suppose one of those actions might result in corruption.

Would it make a difference if you built it from Cyanogen? Maybe they have put in some optimizations or something.
Hmm it does seem to have useful stuff, so at least parts of it could be used. Does anyone know which of the devices it supports are OMAP3 based?

Motorola scholes (aka moto Droid 1)I'm also out of town for 2 weeks (army drill) so I don't got a lot of time to play around with my Pandora which makes me sad

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Back