Android, iOS overtake Sony, Nintendo in US portable game revenue

When smartphones or ipod touch's come out with real controls, then in my opinion its all over for handhelds. Remember they needed the massive market share they enjoyed to eek out a profit, so even a 20% decline in sales is going to make it real tough for them to survive.
so the way for phones to kill handheld gaming systems, is to become handheld gaming systems? and tell me what happens if SONY or Nintendo handhelds could simply make phone calls, no smartphone garbage, just simply place calls? i see this much more likely as a cell phone killer instead.

and nobody buys nintendo or sony gaming consoles for the hardware, this has been proven over and over again. so until you see nintendo making video games for smartphones, and i mean "real" games, and sony 3rd parties as well, the smartphone gaming market isnt going anywhere.

the whole cellphone with tv out once again defeats purpose, as once again, i see it much more likely for a gaming console to kill that market if they had a phone/skype like app.

if anything, id rather place my money on a smartphone market crash the same one video games had in the early days where it was just flooded with random garbage

Nintendo, as Ive said , is a worry - it would seem they have no strategy at all. Lets hope they release something soon.
right....check their next 3 month lineup

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a bit of time to look at this again, and, well, now I have, it's obvious that it was designed to intentionally mislead gamers (it's well-known that a lot of gamers are easily-manipulated, and some organisations bank on that - take a look at how many stopped calling the PlayStation the PSX as soon as Sony told them to jump, or how many keep buying the same games on the promise of "This is going to be the one that brings it all back!" only to be disappointed every single time and STILL continue to buy them, for a couple of easily-explained examples).

Where's the problem? They used NPD numbers.

For those unfamiliar with them, those are the North American video game sales figures, and a few years ago they were revised to exclude sales from the world's biggest retailer and some other places, because those sales revealed to industryites and gamers some facts that they didn't like. Namely: What they didn't want to believe would sell because it wasn't to their own personal taste, was doing gangbusters.

Using them in this context can only be deliberately misleading, the same as the "the 3DS is a flop" claim at the end of the article, which flies in the face of, for example, the fact it's outselling all other consoles combined every week in Japan, and has been doing so for a while. Combined with the things that are missing from the misinformation, I suspect that the real story may be different to what's being presented by the article.

I would imagine that, for the telephone revenue, they did not exclude the largest app-store, which I gather is Apple's. Take that out of the equation the same as taking WalMart out of it, and I'd imagine it's quite a different picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
WalMart, btw, being the one that NPD was leaving out. WalMart also being the biggest software seller for video games in hard copies

Exactly. Sorry about that - I should have been clearer, there. :p

Incidentally, it would be like reporting UK game sales and leaving out Tesco. (WalMart is the world's largest retailer, and Tesco is the world's second-largest.)

Back