Pandora Android On Pandora?

starfight

Still Fresh
Hello,

I used the search button first but I couldn't find it...

Is it possible to run android on the pandora?
Since android is kinda built for ARM I think... I am an IT-technician but I have absolutely no experience with android :p

I'm really interrested in the pandora, even if it doesn't run android because I can work/develop with linux.
But I'm going to wait for the second batch, I live in Belgium and I wouldn't like any major bugs...

Tnx!

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/45968-pandroid-android-on-pandora/page__view__findpost__p__684743__hl__android__fromsearch__1
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48340-maemo-or-android/page__view__findpost__p__735618__hl__android__fromsearch__1
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/46241-googles-android-mobile-platform-ported-to-beagle-board/page__view__findpost__p__690414__hl__android__fromsearch__1
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/41945-googles-android/page__view__findpost__p__606719__hl__android__fromsearch__1

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm ok then sorry :p

I am an it guy but I dan't know anything about android or ARM. I only do windows & linux

starfight said:

I am an it guy but I dan't know anything about android or ARM. I only do windows & linux

Well, Android runs/is Linux and Java (more or less), so there's not a lot more to learn, just specifics to the implementation.

Personally I would like to work at the level of Ruby on Rails, Python, etc. but sometimes you need to get down and dirty and that means C variants. Developing for an alternative platform isn't really that hard, it's all still basically the same stuff, you just have to learn the "house rules" for the poker game. I see more potential for the Pandora than the Android, except for the whole phone thing, but that's a whole other discussion.

GlassDeviant said:
starfight said:

Well, Android runs/is Linux and Java (more or less), so there's not a lot more to learn, just specifics to the implementation.

Personally I would like to work at the level of Ruby on Rails, Python, etc. but sometimes you need to get down and dirty and that means C variants. Developing for an alternative platform isn't really that hard, it's all still basically the same stuff, you just have to learn the "house rules" for the poker game. I see more potential for the Pandora than the Android, except for the whole phone thing, but that's a whole other discussion.
There's always Jython and JRuby (that, btw, are faster than the native ruby and python languages when it comes to code execution speed)

I know it has been ported to the beagleboard so it should be very doable. I am currently messing with the x86 port of it on a tablet I have aqcuired. and have a bit of experience with ARM so I will probably end up trying to combine the two at some point. I have a beagleboard that I'll try to get it running on and from there it should only be a hop skip and a jump over to the Panda... once i get mine ;P

If I recall correctly, the latest release of the Android already have support for PYTHON developed apps too!!

Isn't that great? Now you can dev with the most required language in the world, or with the most-loved language by devs in the world! =D

If you were able to do this, would it also be possible to connect to a gprs service via usb modem?

JohnnyDreadful said:
If you were able to do this, would it also be possible to connect to a gprs service via usb modem?
Haven't we already discussed doing that in regular Linux like 25 times?
I can't remember.

lulzfish said:
JohnnyDreadful said:
Haven't we already discussed doing that in regular Linux like 25 times?
I can't remember.

I'm not sure, but seeing as android is a PHONE platform, it's a little different, i would think.

Back