Android + Wiimote, Anyone Out There Who Tried It?

mali

-
Website
Visit site
As the title says. I want to gather some info how well wiimote, nunchuck and classic controller work for gaming on Android phones. I'm planning to MOD a proper gamepad for my Milestone. This video inspired me:

There are many third-party wiimotes on eBay, are they ok or should I buy an original controller?
From what I read on XDA-Devs, the analogues are supported. Is there anyone who can confirm they are actually analogue and not digital in Quake for example?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to play on a phone, get a Zeemote. It's only 20€ or so. And most importantly it has support for phones and it's meant for one-handed operation.

Actually I want to create a full-fledged controller with dual shoulder buttons, two analogues, dpad and buttons. I want to split a classic controller in half and place the phone in between. The Zeemote doesn't interest me as I don't want to cover the screen with my fingers.

Zeemote is a single handed controller, with an analog and 4 buttons. It doesn't cover your phone, unless you hold it in a wonky way.

OT: man I wish N9 would show up, so I could renew my contract with that. I'm still stuck with an old numeric keypad xpressmusic... it's ok for music though.

Oh, I see. I still think you'd have to use the phone's controls as a one-handed controller doesn't provide enough buttons for games like Quake, methinks.

They did something similar with Palm OS5 and Little John Portable. I'm glad somebody did this for Android :D

Really nobody out there? Nobody can comment if third-party controllers work equally well as the original?

I think (not sure!) that a PS3 controller will work. Or, for one hand, maybe that new Playstation Move controller?

As far as I can tell the wiimote has got the best support in Android so far. IIRC, I read on XDA-Dev about people still requesting PS3 controller support. The problem is that Android gaming is still in the early days, so I'll go the safest route, as I don't have too much time for the MOD. I already have a USB controller lying around I feel comfortable with and decided to rip out some of its innards and replace the buttons on the right with the nub from the nunchuk and include the electronics of the wiimote inside the controller case if possible or widen it properly to cram it in. Dpad on the left and analogue on the right should be best for Quake, I think. I don't see why I would need dual analogues, as dpad for movement and analogue for viewing should work well. The placement of the analogues on the wii classic controller looks awkward and I'm not interested in games where I need the four face buttons, so I won't miss them. I think I'll just buy a cheap set on eBay and see what I get then.

Back