Annoying Issue With Cpu-lcd-tweak_1.2 Utility

airwolf

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I am using firmware 1.0.1. Everytime I boot up the Gp2X, I immediately go to the CPU-LCD-TWEAK_1.2 program and run it.

First, I change the LCD-Clockgenerator to UPLL.
Next I change the CPU frequency to 266mhz and the Timing Prescaler to 3 or 4.
Then I push 'select' to exit, because pushing 'start' exits without the changes.

Now...here is the annoying part; now I re-run the utility to see if the changes took and they are not. The CPU speed always goes to 265 and the LCD-Clockgenerator goes back to FPLL with a value of 0 for the prescaler.

What is going on? I did used to have firmware 1.4.0, but I reflashed everything, kernel and all. Everything is OK except for this. The colors and brightness is SOOOO much better with 1.0.1, but it does have some scanlines. The only way I can correct this is by using the CPU-LCD tweak program.

Another thing is that I cannot use the 'display Test-Picture' option in the main menu of the utility. The screen always goes black and the GP2X freezes. I have to then turn off the unit.

Should I go to the previous version of this utility? Would that work? Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

Doesnt it reset the speed etc intitally when you run it? I think you'll find that everything is sticking, but every time you rerun the CPU tweaker, its reseting the settings.

Run some emulator beofre and after the change, to see if there is any difference.

Also, to display the image, you have to have the image that comes with the CPU tweaker in the same folder on your SD as the program itself. Not sure wqhat the filename is, but you should just have to copy the image over with it.

Axeman posted on Mar 17 2006 at 03:35 PM said:
Doesnt it reset the speed etc intitally when you run it? I think you'll find that everything is sticking, but every time you rerun the CPU tweaker, its reseting the settings.

Run some emulator beofre and after the change, to see if there is any difference.

Also, to display the image, you have to have the image that comes with the CPU tweaker in the same folder on your SD as the program itself. Not sure wqhat the filename is, but you should just have to copy the image over with it.

Well after re-reading the readme for the program, it says to move the 'test.bmp' file to the ROOT of the SD card and the .gpe file in any folder on the ROOT. I just did that and now the test picture works, but I noticed a new issue. You push 'X' to see the test picture and any other button to exit the test picture. But if you push any other button, THAT button you pushed now has altered your settings. So, if I push 'A' to exit the test picture, the clock speed will go down by a value of 1, the same time I am returned to the main menu screen. Same issue happens if you push 'Y'...cpu speed goes up by one. If you push 'B' to exit test picture, the LCD Clockgenerator is changed to the opposite of what you had originally set that value to. Odd.

Still, the problem with the settings not staying as you set them after exiting by 'select' is still there. If, by you say, that everytime I re-run the utility I re-set the settings, then how come the CPU speed doesnt go back to the original value of 199 mhz. Instead, its just goes down by a 1 value...

Thanks for the reply. Oh, by the way, thanks again for your help on the Atari800 emu help. Now all my 5200 games are running great. I have went back in time by blank years.....LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have found out your correct settings, you can run LCD-Tweak via Commandline and automatically apply them.

If you copy LCD-Tweak to your NAND and change /etc/profile to run it, you don't need to run it manually anymore.
But beware: You really need to know what you're doing.

EvilDragon posted on Mar 17 2006 at 08:25 PM said:
If you have found out your correct settings, you can run LCD-Tweak via Commandline and automatically apply them.

If you copy LCD-Tweak to your NAND and change /etc/profile to run it, you don't need to run it manually anymore.

I know this sounds stupid, but how do I access the Commandline on the GP2X? Are you talking about creating scripts for the Cpu-Lcd-tweak program? Could you give me a sample?

Oh....and can you tell me the procedure for copying the utility to the NAND so I dont have to run the program manually? Or tell me where I may find the info? Thanks.

EvilDragon posted on Mar 18 2006 at 03:25 AM said:

How do I do that using cramfs?
Wasnt there a nand unlocker, cant find it though...

aapje89 posted on Mar 18 2006 at 01:53 PM said:

You can't - as cramfs is a readonly file system, you can't remount it writable ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Mar 18 2006 at 02:10 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Mar 18 2006 at 01:53 PM said:

You can't - as cramfs is a readonly file system, you can't remount it writable ;)
So there wasnt an nand unlocking tool? damn

Could you give me a sample?

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 -2 266
/mnt/sd/uae4all/uae4all.gpe
sync
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

with this script you can start uae4all@266Mhz (look for the correct folder-names)

B4N5H33 posted on Mar 18 2006 at 12:29 PM said:
Could you give me a sample?

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 -2 266
/mnt/sd/uae4all/uae4all.gpe
sync
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

with this script you can start uae4all@266Mhz (look for the correct folder-names)

Yes, but I have to write scripts for all my programs that I want to overclock. I though you meant just one script to write that would set the LCD-CPU tweak program for all programs run after the current boot cycle...

Back