Annoying Lines In Squidge Snes And Pocket Snes.

Fruity

Still Fresh
I have noticed that pretty much every Snes game has wavy lines through it especially when images are moving.

This is very noticible on Pinball Fantasies and much easier to see when using the TV out.

Doesn't matter whether I try Squidge or Pocket Snes, they behave the same.

I have tried changing the settings and cannot get rid of this annoying problem.

Has anyone else had this and can maybe help me out ?

Thanks Guys :)

it's hard to tell what you're talking about here. older gp2x's have screens that cause faint diagonal lines to scroll across the screen. also, there are noticeable interlacing artifacts, depending on how you have your screen set.

but i'm guessing you have a mk2? if not, then you're probably talking about interlacing.

in any case, the tv-out is a different thing entirely. there are some lines in the center of the screen that are gone in the tv-out picture because of incorrect scaling.

hopefully you can describe better what you're seeing...but even then i think the only answers are going to be:

- try different clock speeds
- try adjusting the "lcd" slider in the menu
- tv-out just is how it is, at least for now

that said, since you posted the same thing in two boards, and most people here read most of the boards, AND they're sitting next to each other like pals on the homepage, i hope you are wearing asbestos underwear :D

Whats the LCD slider.

Mine's a brand new MK2 but i've got a F200 on the way so hopefully will get rid of the fault.

I still have the fault on the GP2X screen not just the TV out.

Fruity Nutter said:
I have noticed that pretty much every Snes game has wavy lines through it especially when images are moving.

This is very noticible on Pinball Fantasies and much easier to see when using the TV out.

Doesn't matter whether I try Squidge or Pocket Snes, they behave the same.

I have tried changing the settings and cannot get rid of this annoying problem.

Has anyone else had this and can maybe help me out ?

Thanks Guys :)
You are absolutely right, this 'wobbly lines' exist.
They're especially noticeable when the screen moves vertically, e.g. with PINBALL DREAMS, PINBALL FANSTASIES, etc. and have nothing to do with MK1 or MK2. There is no setting to eliminate this issue, this is a 'bug' in Squidge- and also in Pocket-SNES.

(btw: This 'effect' doesn't appear with "Snes9x" for the GP32).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a v-sync problem.

It's faster for an emulator to update the screen when it's ready, not when the screen is ready.
Many emulators have options to turn v-sync on but this can seriously slow down the emulation if it's complex or slow in the first place. Some emulators which are already fast like GPFCE or PicoDrive have no problems with v-sync and look awesome once you switch this on.

Other emulators like those for the SNES really need to run "as fast as possible" which means keeping v-sync switch off.

V-sync is really only possible on emulators capable of emulating the host at fullspeed and is actually an excellent way of considering an emulator truly "fullspeed".

Fruity Nutter said:
Whats the LCD slider.

Mine's a brand new MK2 but i've got a F200 on the way so hopefully will get rid of the fault.

I still have the fault on the GP2X screen not just the TV out.
hmm...in 2.x firmwares there's an lcd setting in the menu, you can move it left or right. i don't know what the deal is on newer firmware, or if somehow it doesn't show up on mk2s.

i still can't really figure out what wobbly lines means though! it's been a while since i fired up an snes emulator (my nice 4gb sd crapped out a while ago, just using a small one for ghostpix & wind+water right now)

but yeah i think both of them have vsync options, but you have to turn on frameskip, but not auto. set some high frameskip number, turn on vsync, see what happens. tv-out will probably not change though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so pleased to here that I am not the only one who has come across this issue.

So is there a Snes emulator for the GP2X which does not have this wavy line problem even if it doesn't run full speed?

Back