Annoying Sd Problem

geo12

Retrofuturist
Website
Visit site
Not sure if it is the SD card or some computer software problem, but each time I try to delete large(700mb) video file from my 2 gig card, it says "access denied" and the card is either write protected or the file is in use. The card is definitely not write protected because I am able to delete smaller files, and I'm sure that some other program is not using it because I have tried changing the letter path of disk on my computer. The only way I have found to work is by formatting the card, which sometimes has to be forced. Am I saving the video files incorrectly, or is it just a bad SD?

Is this in Windows? its not trying to open the file to preview it as you delete it, is it?

geo12 said:
Not sure if it is the SD card or some computer software problem, but each time I try to delete large(700mb) video file from my 2 gig card, it says "access denied" and the card is either write protected or the file is in use. The card is definitely not write protected because I am able to delete smaller files, and I'm sure that some other program is not using it because I have tried changing the letter path of disk on my computer. The only way I have found to work is by formatting the card, which sometimes has to be forced. Am I saving the video files incorrectly, or is it just a bad SD?
If this is in windows, it could be that little quirk where it tries to create a preview of the AVI file and gets "stuck", locking the file in "in use" mode.. There's a small fix on the 'net somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Last edited by a moderator:
The solution is use a decent file manager (such as Total Commander) rather than crappy Windows Exploder :)

typically it's not windows explorer that causes these hangs but third-party shell extensions, like adobe's file previewing crap. the best fix i've found is a nice program called process explorer, it lets you search every handle and close the ones that are struck.

if that doesn't work, then it could be that your sd needs to be reformatted.

Thanks a lot, that preview glitch seems to be the best explanation. I'll try process explorer and see if it helps.

EDIT: Well, I tried Process Explorer and killed just about every process I could think would possibly affect the drive but with no avail. I tried using Total Commander and another file viewing program different from Windows Explorer, but access was still denied. Unless someone has any other ideas, it looks like I'm going to have to format my DS card every time I want to delete a video. Thanks anyway for all of your thoughts.

RE-EDIT: I searched around the internet and found a tutorial for a similar problem, I was able to fix the problem by uninstalling two DLL files.

Back