Another GP32 review in a magazine....

Kop_007

Istanbul Red
Yes, just got the latest copy of CVG (Computer and Video Games). On page 12 it gives a small introduction into the GP32.

It says that it's not backlit (which I suppose is true), that it's a pain to get started and SMC's are way over priced at £42 (Ebuyer £18 128mb - go get one now).

Other than that, it details a lot of things that the GP32 can do - except there is no mention of divx.... <_<

Still, any publicity is good publicity - or so I'm told. :)

Craig should be getting extra business aswell, they plug gbaX at the end of the piece.

Hi guys,

Use to read c+vg about 10 years ago cant believe it still going.

Have about 60 issues in my loft with thunderblade on front cover to mario 3, have to get out soon to see what games are good for gp32 emulators.

all the best

It would be 'a pain to get started' if happne to be one of CVG's regular readers, ie: a complete shambling moron.

And so what is SMCs are overpriced (which they aren't)? You can fit hundreds of games on these things! Your average PS2 game costs £40 and once you've bought it you can't download MP3s or movie files on it like you can with a SMC. Jesus. I remember when CVG was the benchmark for other magazines, back in the golden days of the early 90's. Now it's just shit. The writers are totally clueless about games. Back in the 90's when the likes of Paul Rand and Julian Rignall still wrote for CVG, it was the most clued-up magazine you could buy. The reviews were faultless.

Speaking of old mags, Does anyone remember CVGs sister mag, Mean Machines? I still have loads of issues of that. It's my favourite magazine of all time. I used to love reading the import Megadrive and SNES reviews. Great mag. :)

Mean machines, yes!

have all the issues from 0. then the mag team split to mean machines sega and official nintendo mag.

they did a mini mag called GO! as well for handhelds.

those were the days...

Duddyroar posted on May 23 2003 said:
Speaking of old mags, Does anyone remember CVGs sister mag, Mean Machines? I still have loads of issues of that. It's my favourite magazine of all time. I used to love reading the import Megadrive and SNES reviews. Great mag. :)
yep! i still have the issue with Ryu on the front (the countries first Street Fighter 2 SNES review...it got 98%) - also reviewed THE BEST vertical shoot em up of all time (IMO!), Super Aleste on the SNES

I still have a few Mean Machines Sega mags too (when Mean Machines split into a Sega mag and an Official Nintendo Magazine)

Last edited by a moderator:
Go! was the magazine that came free with CVG, I believe. Excellent little magazine.

When they split Mean Machines in two it went a bit pear-shaped. The original MM was fantastic though.

They reviewed really obscure import titles that no other magazine would touch. It was such a buzz because I used to go to my local importers (KC's in Loughborough - anybody here go there?) and you'd see the import games that MM had reviewed...not like with the other magazines where they'd only review domestic games. MM was really had its finger on the pulse in terms of news and reviews, they had details of the latest import titles ages before other mags. Sega Power was the worst mag IMO - for a while it was printed on what can only be described as bog roll. Really! It was exactly the same texture. They only reviewed official UK releases so they pretty much lost out to MM and CVG who reviewed the games on import months beforehand.

i think i may have to write a strongly worded letter to CVG about that article

Back