Any Actual Os's Ported To The Gp2x?

andrewmc

Still Fresh
I've seen a video of a MacOS emulator running on it, but are there any actualy OS's that arn't emulated that can run on it? Are any in the making? Any linux ports? Does anyone think there will be in the future?

I know it runs Linux, but I mean like an actual GUI that would allow you to use the GP2X like a computer. And I have also heard of Win 95 running, but the only way thats happining is through an emulator (I know Win 95 isn't open source :D).

andrewmc posted on Aug 13 2006 at 12:15 AM said:
I know it runs Linux, but I mean like an actual GUI that would allow you to use the GP2X like a computer. And I have also heard of Win 95 running, but the only way thats happining is through an emulator (I know Win 95 isn't open source :D).
Yes, what a great idea, make a 200mhz machine with no mouse, keyboard, or networking, and a QVGA screen, an "actual" computer :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP2X has an 'Actual' OS. The GP2x runs a version of linux with an 'Actual' GUI.
Thats right! No text based command prompts here :p

For the record an OS is not a GUI. And when you say 'Actual' OS i think you mean
'Desktop' OS. As an OS is just a layer between software and hardware, even modern
mobile phones have 'Actual' OSs.

-Twixn-

Qtopia is a gui similar to a pda or desktop. More so, at least, than the GP2X's default menu. I believe keyboards and/or mice work with usb host.

Would it be possible to port freeDOS to ARM?

Obviously it would be completely useless, as you would only be able to use apps that were also ported to ARM, but surely it must be possible? (unless freeDOS is written in x86 assembly, but I don't think so?)

Twixn posted on Aug 13 2006 at 05:37 AM said:
The GP2X has an 'Actual' OS. The GP2x runs a version of linux with an 'Actual' GUI.
Thats right! No text based command prompts here :p

For the record an OS is not a GUI. And when you say 'Actual' OS i think you mean
'Desktop' OS. As an OS is just a layer between software and hardware, even modern
mobile phones have 'Actual' OSs.

-Twixn-

I know that, above I said "GUI that would allow you to use the GP2X like a computer." Sorry if I didn't clarify that enough lol. Also, sure it doesn't have a mouse or a keyboard, but that was the same as Linux running on the Xbox. The mouse was controled with the thumbstick and you could hit a button to bring up a virtual keyboard whenever you wanted to type something.

To those saying the GP2X has no mouse or keyboard, a mouse and/or keyboard could be connected via USB right? I don't know if the default OS supports these devices, but that's beside the point. The capability is still there, right? And as to whether or not the GP2X is suitable to be an "actual computer" (as the topic creator put it), the opinion will differ with each user.

mcqfesijiba posted on Aug 13 2006 at 10:20 AM said:
To those saying the GP2X has no mouse or keyboard, a mouse and/or keyboard could be connected via USB right? I don't know if the default OS supports these devices, but that's beside the point. The capability is still there, right? And as to whether or not the GP2X is suitable to be an "actual computer" (as the topic creator put it), the opinion will differ with each user.
The potential is there, yes. But it's not implemented yet.

There was a project on GP32 to get WindowsCE running on the GP32. It looked pretty impressive, but they never released anything due to the obvious legal issues.

I just wish someone with the knowledge would port a linux distro like Damn Small Linux and make a virtual keyboard :(

What you need to get down to is what specific applications you want. The GP2X will never be able to load up linux just like your pc does and suddenly let you play any linux game available, they have to be recomplied for the ARM processor.

If you'd like some specific apps though, you should ask for them.

Well DSL comes with some Apps like Firefox, but just Gaim along with the other stuff that comes with DSL would be great.

andrewmc posted on Aug 13 2006 at 05:59 PM said:
Well DSL comes with some Apps like Firefox, but just Gaim along with the other stuff that comes with DSL would be great.
Firefox: Impossible
Gaim: Impossible
..unless you're thinking of majorly stripped down versions, but even then, firefox (gaim too, really) is probably still unlikely.

For reference, X11 isn't Linux's "default GUI", it's the backend to most window managers, e.g. KDE or GNOME. Linux, by default, has no graphical interface :p

Damn Small Linux won't run on the GP2X either. The GP2X has no window manager like DSL has (I think it's enlightenment?) which uses X, or at least by default anyway (X is NOT a window manager, for the record). The 2x's default applications (menu, explorer, mplayer etc.) hardly comprise a window manager anyway.

Alvin posted on Aug 13 2006 at 01:27 PM said:
andrewmc posted on Aug 13 2006 at 05:59 PM said:
Well DSL comes with some Apps like Firefox at but just Gaim along with the other stuff that comes with DSL would be great.
Firefox: Impossible
Gaim: Impossible
Firefox: use links
Gaim: Included in GPE Package

So what's impossible?

Back