Any good RPG games?

It's gotten awfully pedantic in here. We all know what rpgs are, personally I don't care to argue about exact definitions of the genre. To me there is a subset of rpgs: action rpgs, which to me encompasses zelda, soleil, terranigma, all of those isometric games where you don't level up and just hack at baddies, solve puzzles, and collect trinkets.
I just don't really care. I mean, half the world's on fire, the economy is fucked, I'm doing my best to stay employed despite being made redundant twice, and I've got all kinds of personal problems and two kids to feed. To me and a great deal of people those are action rpgs, you can call them whatever you like.
I agree with this. You can label it with things like "agreeing with ignorance" if you like and I just don't care either - the above is also how I see it, and Kane's written it better than I could. :lol:

My apologies also for seemingly assisting in this thread-derailment, too. That certainly wasn't the intent!

If you liked Gothic 1 & 2+addon (not 3 or 4) consider Risen, which is similar. Only a few purely random encounters that can't be avoided (as part of traps you trigger)

Arx Fatalis, which is similar to Ultima Underworld. I didn't get all the way through it, though, so I could be wrong about it not having random encounters.

No one's mentioned SirTech's Wizardry 8. It does have pseudo-random encounters in that areas of the world repopulate when you move on, but I've found it fairly easy to simply avoid them since you can see them. It emphasises strategic combat as opposed to button-mashing your aoe's. Earlier games in the series are good but have insta-pop-up random encounters.

I was going to suggest Jagged Alliance 2, which works on Pandora, but then I remembered it has random encounters. Still, if Fallout 1 & 2 are tolerable to you then it's very similar in playstyle (not content). It's modern-day and has strategy elements (You're capturing areas of the country, training militia, and getting money from captured mines so you can buy the services of other mercenaries).

Just finished Secret of Evermore. Not as good as I was expecting it to be.

One more to add to the list. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the N64 is a good one. Wish I had it on cart, but I only borrowed it from a friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend Albion. It's for DOS-PC and there is even a port for the Pandora.

It's simply the best RPG i played. It's focusing on story telling and creates a awesome atmosphere, with a detailed big world, hand drawn graphics and believable background storys.

The style is very unique. It combines the best of JRPG's and the best of western RPG's into one package.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/M21OmYWkUgQ?feature=oembed

Hi

Anybody having a go at playing Albion may find this useful, the game manual.

[Link removed]

You will get an advert run before you can download it, it is 30 seconds.

Happy role playing :)

^ Cas, I'm really sorry, but would you mind providing a different link, or re-hosting that document on a site such as MediaFire, please? The site you linked to is an "abandonware" site, which offers downloads of software for which they do not hold any copyright, so I had to remove it.

If you liked Gothic 1 & 2+addon (not 3 or 4) consider Risen, which is similar. Only a few purely random encounters that can't be avoided (as part of traps you trigger)

Looks nice. I will have to try that one.

And nobody has mentioned Chrono Trigger (SNES)? Turn-based, no actual random encounters (sometimes you're ambushed, but it's not "walk n to n+k steps to get attacked), you see the enemies and most of the time can avoid them (if you feel they're not worth it).

(...or was the requirement action RPG?)

And nobody has mentioned Chrono Trigger (SNES)? Turn-based, no actual random encounters (sometimes you're ambushed, but it's not "walk n to n+k steps to get attacked), you see the enemies and most of the time can avoid them (if you feel they're not worth it).

(...or was the requirement action RPG?)

I knew I was missing one from my list. :eek:

Paper Mario (N64) all the way across the sky! i was about raised on that game and theres no real random encounters (you can see all the enemies at all times) plenty of (easyish) puzzle solving but the story is really fun. Some of the humor is a little juevanile (spelling?) but i enjoy playing through it every now and again.

Lent my original copy to someone who never returned it, so I never got to the end. Have since re-acquired it and its on the Pandora list of must-plays.

It was a really unique and beautifully presented game (like a breathing graphic novel/comic grimoire) imo and the soundtrack was awesome aswell. I was gutted it faded away without a sequel as I loved the play mechanics, obnoxious weaponry creation and atmosphere, such a different format from the Square team. Of course depending on the ending a sequel may not have been on the cards, so don't give it away (which applies to physical copies of the game aswell hehe)!

Back