Any good RPG games?

Check the marketing for the original NES games - that rather loudly states them to be RPGs. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the marketing for the original NES games - that rather loudly states them to be RPGs. ;)

So it's okay to agree with ignorance? "Role playing game" was a buzz word in the late 80s thanks to the market Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior created. Also note "marketing", which is designed to get you interested in something, even if it means bending the truth. The Zelda series shares a few trivial traits with RPGs but strays from them in gameplay and "play flow" as I call it.

SONY: I've had a few discussions with a lot of people regarding using game genres as "tags" of sorts for classifying games. It's a good idea in theory, but how many genres can you throw together before it starts making less sense? I see it as degrees of accuracy. Sure, you could describe Zelda as an RPG to someone, but they're likely to go in expecting a list of things that are associated with RPGs. Experience points, buildable stats, spells or skills, combat that builds the character, etc. To tell someone Zelda's an RPG is only true in the sense that it's in a fantasy setting and NPCs play a strong role in the games. Oh, and dungeons. It's better to attribute Action/Adventure because it doesn't throw in the stat system assumption and still accounts for all of what you do in Zelda: explore, fight enemies, and solve puzzles.

Using an imprecise genre for a game (or a collection of 3+) can mislead gamers and think they're downloading/going to play something that it's simply not. If you use such loose definitions in your genres, Call of Duty: Black Ops counts as an FPS RPG because you level up and get prestiges. I think we can all agree on the ridiculous implications there. Genres exist to categorize games. If they aren't used judiciously then their meanings are diluted.

Even though it may not have the elements of a role-playing game as we know it today, i.e. levels, skills, etc. You are still "role-playing" as another person. Just like I stated about the Thief series in my earlier post. It is and isn't an RPG. It all depends on your definition of role-playing game. Though I agree Zelda is more of an action/adventure game because I associate levels, skills, etc. to my definition of RPG. I also consider action/adventure to be a light form of RPG. It really could go either way.

RPGs are games that have a (very) strong focus on visible, buildable statistics, and use battle as the primary means of stat building.

Hack-and-slash != RPG

Role-playing => character <=> story

Back on-topic though, my personal hands-down favorite as a DM and player of many years would have to be

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

You play as a character in pretty much every game in existence. Does this mean that Super Mario Bros. is an RPG? What about Doom? You're not even named, and the developers have described the character as "you". It must be a role-playing game!

You play as a character in pretty much every game in existence. Does this mean that Super Mario Bros. is an RPG? What about Doom? You're not even named, and the developers have described the character as "you". It must be a role-playing game!

Super Mario dialogue is pretty boring, and Doom is even worse. :(

Hack-and-slash != RPG

I have to disagree with you on that one. Take a look at the King's Field series. Also the ever so classic Rogue. The ever so classic Diablo series. The Elder Scrolls series. Probably many more.

Like I said it could go either way. It all depends on your definition of role-playing. I usually take into account both interpretations.

Rogue, Nethack, and the like are a subset of RPG called (wait for it!) roguelikes.

Anyways, I'd like to suggest the Golden Sun games on the GBA. If you like Dragon Warrior gameplay and a neat class system, it's great.

Rogue, Nethack, and the like are a subset of RPG called (wait for it!) roguelikes.

Right you are! But they also have levels, statistics, and skills, etc. They are only called roguelikes because they stem from the same concepts as the original rogue creating a genere of their own. You could also argue that Diablo is a roguelike, as some people believe. In a sense it is.

Hack-and-slash != RPG
I have to disagree with you on that one. Take a look at the King's Field series. Also the ever so classic Rogue. The ever so classic Diablo series. The Elder Scrolls series. Probably many more.

What I wrote meant "hack-and-slash does not equal RPG", or (analogously) stats and battles are not equivalent to roleplaying. It is still possible to have a role-playing game that has stats and battles, and in fact that is how the CRPG genre has evolved as I think we all agree.

I would characterize Harvest Moon (few stats, no battles) as a roleplaying game, even though that would perhaps confuse the average gamer. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but if you had a game that was all stats and no story, I would not characterize that as an RPG.

It just so happens that these types of discussions are held even around D&D itself, simply because some gamers like story and some get bored and just want to kill stuff (and level up in doing so :p ).

Right you are! But they also have levels, statistics, and skills, etc. They are only called roguelikes because they stem from the same concepts as the original rogue creating a genere of their own. You could also argue that Diablo is a roguelike, as some people believe. In a sense it is.

I would agree. Diablo's sort of a blend between the turn-based and realtime RPG paradigms. But it's part hack-n-slash, too. Hard to pin that one down...

What I wrote meant "hack-and-slash does not equal RPG", or (analogously) stats and battles are not equivalent to roleplaying. It is still possible to have a role-playing game that has stats and battles, and in fact that is how the CRPG genre has evolved as I think we all agree.

I would characterize Harvest Moon (few stats, no battles) as a roleplaying game, even though that would perhaps confuse the average gamer. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but if you had a game that was all stats and no story, I would not characterize that as an RPG.

It just so happens that these types of discussions are held even around D&D itself, simply because some gamers like story and some get bored and just want to kill stuff (and level up in doing so :p ).

Now that makes more sense. My fault for reading wrong. I also agree that Harvest Moon would categorize as an RPG even though there are no battles. But it does have progressive elements to it. I also agree about games with no story. However some games like Nethack that do have a story but is not told during gameplay... thats kind of iffy. But I would have to say that Nethack's gameplay more than makes up for lack of progressive story.

One game I like that didn't really tell the story very well during gameplay was Resonance of Fate by tri-Ace for the PS3. I couldn't really understand what was going on as I progressed through the game, but the gameplay made up for that (which is odd because tri-Ace's other games have great stories). Eventually I figured out what was going on though.

Yeah with AD&D I do like some story but I mostly just want to get in start killing stuff. (Does that make me a bad person :huh: )

Ok I really have to stop now. (Maybe :D )

It's gotten awfully pedantic in here. We all know what rpgs are, personally I don't care to argue about exact definitions of the genre. To me there is a subset of rpgs: action rpgs, which to me encompasses zelda, soleil, terranigma, all of those isometric games where you don't level up and just hack at baddies, solve puzzles, and collect trinkets.

It's gotten awfully pedantic in here. We all know what rpgs are, personally I don't care to argue about exact definitions of the genre. To me there is a subset of rpgs: action rpgs, which to me encompasses zelda, soleil, terranigma, all of those isometric games where you don't level up and just hack at baddies, solve puzzles, and collect trinkets.

It's not being pedantic when an incorrect genre is being used to lump games under an umbrella that really doesn't do them any justice. Terranigma, Soul Blazer, and Illusion of Gaia aren't RPGs, either. Action RPGs are more like Star Ocean, Secret of Mana, and the Tales series. Genres have meaning, you can't just throw a genre onto a game because it sounds nice.

I just don't really care. I mean, half the world's on fire, the economy is fucked, I'm doing my best to stay employed despite being made redundant twice, and I've got all kinds of personal problems and two kids to feed. To me and a great deal of people those are action rpgs, you can call them whatever you like.

I know exactly what you mean my friend!

Hmm... SNES style huh, how about

Secret of Mana (One of my Favorites)

Secret of Evermore (Haven't played to finish but based on same engine as SoM above.)

Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 3. You'll have to look on DeJap for the translation.)

Might & Magic 3: Isles of Terra (I have this for DOS but also on SNES.)

7th Saga (This might be the one you were talking about.)

Playstation 1

King's Field (First person 3D hack and slash rpg. NO loading times. 2nd installment of the series. My all time favorite series.)

King's Field 2 (3rd installment of the series same engine as the one above.)

Shadow Tower (Spinoff of King's Field series but not as good.)

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 (Yes random encounters but still two of the best RPGs.)

Lunar: Silver Star Story (Selectable encounters like Star Ocean for PS2 great game.)

Jade Cocoon (Selectable encounters.)

Legend of Legaia (Random encounter but nice battle system.)

Playstation 2

Final Fantasy 12 (One of my favorites regardless of the story just because it has open world battles. I just imported the Zodiac Job System version, now I have to learn Japanese.)

King's Field: The Ancient City (4th installment of King's Field series. Still 3D first person hack and slash style.)

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (Battles are only initiated if you run into an enemy on the map.)

Kingdom Hearts (Haven't played to completion but still fun. Open world battles.)

Legaia 2: Duel Saga (Like Legend of Legaia.)

Drakengard (More action less RPG but still not bad.)

Commodore 64

http://www.newcomer.hu/ (I haven't played this one yet because the new version isn't out yet but its supposed to be a huge game 20+ years in the making.)

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis

Shining in the Darkness (It kinda has and doesn't have random encounters. At least not the swirly screen battle music kind.)

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (AD&D Goldbox Engine game. DOS version has better mechanics Sega version better graphics. Many hours were lost to this game.)

PC DOS/Win

Gothic 1 & 2 (Great games I highly recommend the first. Kinda plays like a console game.)

Nethack (Who can forget this 'killer' of a game. The only one I know of that laughs at your repeated deaths.)

Any Might & Magic game accept IX (You can find them all on GOG.com accept IX.)

The Elder Scrolls: Arena (Think you can still download from Elder Scrolls website.)

The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall (Same with Arena.)

Diablo

Diablo 2

Nox

Deus Ex (Love it.)

Fallout 1 & 2 (Hybrid turnbased overworld battles. Still great.)

Syndicate (Control a team of four cybernetically enhanced operatives and buy upgrades throughout the game. Also for AMIGA)

FATE (From Wildtangent games, basically a Diablo clone. Still not bad.)

The Witcher (Great game. The book is also great.)

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (Modern 3D first person hack and slash game. Great game.)

Thief Series (Not RPGs in the literal sense but still very fun if you like stealth games.)

Cannon Fodder (Not an RPG but still a fun game.)

Well I think this list could keep you busy for quite a while. I'm also out of games to list (well I have left out some more obvious ones).

Congrats on graduating!

You just mentioned all.

I also agree that Harvest Moon would categorize as an RPG even though there are no battles. But it does have progressive elements to it. I also agree about games with no story. However some games like Nethack that do have a story but is not told during gameplay... thats kind of iffy. But I would have to say that Nethack's gameplay more than makes up for lack of progressive story.

Right, I agree there is a spectrum, as others have mentioned. Some games are like, "You are... (insert character, event, and time)" and then *killkillkill*.

I just don't really care. I mean, half the world's on fire, the economy is fucked, I'm doing my best to stay employed despite being made redundant twice, and I've got all kinds of personal problems and two kids to feed. To me and a great deal of people those are action rpgs, you can call them whatever you like.

And yet you're posting on a handheld forum. :p

Just kidding, we can get back on-topic, sorry for assisting in the thread derailment. :D

Back