Any Idea on Final Price?

Asaggynoodle

Long Term Lurker
So I'm selling my portables, you can see them here... (Many have already sold)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Libretto-110CT-7-1-UMPC-Netbook-96MB-Ram-233Mhz-Pentium-60GB-/181638900579?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4a85ab63

I'm getting ready to (hopefully) buy some Extremely High End SD cards & Micro SD cards (150$ a piece) and such for the Pyra. My wikipedia offline archive alone is like ~57Gb (Yes the whole thing lol)

My main goal would be to Dualboot Android and Debian, and host a Wikipedia Mirror. So, only the 1066x speed cards are of my interest.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any Idea on how we'd be sitting on costs once they roll around?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also suggest not actually buying the SD cards until you're just about to have the Pyra.  The two I bought for the Pandora were sort of twice as outdated by the time I got the Pandora.

I won't care much about card speed until some tests have been made on the real hardware. It may be that the reader on the Pyra isn't able to make full use of the card speed.

For instance, if the reader is internally a USB2.0 port you would only get ideally 480Mbps.

It isn't using USB, they're built into the SOC which supports SDR104 on the internal microSD card and SDR50 on the full size SD cards.

How well they'll perform in practice will only be known after testing, however.

So you're considering UHS-II (U3) media.  Don't bother - or at least understand what you're getting into.

The Pyra's SD controller on the SoC is limited to the top speeds of UHS-I (104MB/s).

UHS-II media is supposed to be backwards compatible - but at UHS-I speeds.  Support for UHS-II requires an additional set of connectors in both the card and the device.

http://www.cnet.com/news/sandisk-rolls-out-speedy-uhs-ii-u3-extreme-pro-sd/

633x cards claim 95MB/s transfer rates.  104/95 = X/633.  X=692x.  So, 692x is the fastest 'rating' that the SD controller on the SoC will be able to keep up with.

That said, those ratings are optimistic and tend to rate the 'best' of the card's capabilities.  Things like random writes may show additional benefit from cards that are rated faster than the SoC's bus.

However, the point remains that there isn't as much to gain from UHS-II cards on the Pyra as it simply won't have the extra set of pins for the new hardware spec.

Back