Any Reason To Continue Using Full Sized Sd Cards?

And in addition to all of the other negative points against microSD cards, the material that microSD cards are made of usually leads to that fingernails-on-a-blackboard effect quite often. :p

I still love CF cards, due to their solid feel.... oh wait, those won't work in my Pandora :lol:

Speaking of SD, just noticed full sized comes as class 10 as well... sweet :D

Yes. Infact, pandora should have a Compact Flash slot instead of one of it's SDs ;)

atomicthumbs said:
MicroSD is for things that don't have enough space to use regular SD

It's also hip, as someone else pointed out.

If your device has to use microSD rather than SDHC, or 4xAAA instead of 2xAA, then.. make your damn device fatter or I won't buy it! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a lot of MicroSD cards, and they have a massive failure rate compared to full size. This is just my observation, not a fact.

I've also had a few (SanDisk) Micro-->Full size adapters break.
I have one in my Wii, never used anywhere else that died, replace adapter and it's fine. Happened a few times (different devices - Inc GP2X).

NeoTheFox said:
it will be avalible soon
Not soon enough, the Pandora was already designed around SDHC.

And just because it supports 2TB cards doesn't mean they exist, or that most Pandora customers have the money to waste on such a thing.

And it also doesn't mean that anyone is going to be making them any time soon, either - my understanding is that the recession has hit flash media manufacturers badly (because profit margins on genuine flash media are apparently quite slim), that's why prices have either gone up or stayed the same (depending on the sizes you're looking at) for the last two to two-and-a-half years.

Since they can't bring down the prices on 32GB cards at this time, I'm doubtful that any sane person will be able to afford whatever a 2TB one might end up being sold for... :p

HA!
Same query!

SDcard slot advantages:
  • 1st - support for SDcard devices!!! (GPS, modem, USB etc)
  • 2nd - supports both SD and microSD cards
  • 3rd - SD cards are cheaper!
  • 4th - SD card is faster (mostly important in DSLR cameras)

But heres food for thought.
Why don't use one side for SDcard slot and on the other side fit 2x microSD slots, with one (unremovable) dedicated as 32GB internal storage?

ED: If the question was dumb, I'm sorry :) !

Tokiopop said:
hch said:
i have not seen a class 6 microsd with more than 4GB. ok, maybe somewhere out there there is a 8GB one.

you can miniaturize the nand, but sd is a standard, where the controller is on the card. and that is the bottleneck.

actually, xD would be much easier to miniaturize, since the cards are controllerless. but it lost the race...
Where have you been? There are loads of Class 6 8GB MicroSD cards, even 16GB ones too I think.

care to point me to one?

i've been searching in vain for one just 1.5 months ago.

i'd still need one for this umid bz i got. i really hate that it only has one micosd slot.

actually, there is one more argument against mirosd: i need a usb dongle to transfer pics from my camera.

HA!
Same query!

SDcard slot advantages:

* 1st - support for SDcard devices!!! (GPS, modem, USB etc)
* 2nd - supports both SD and microSD cards
* 3rd - SD cards are cheaper!
* 4th - SD card is faster (mostly important in DSLR cameras)

Why don't use one side for 32GB internal storage and fit 2x microSD slots on the other side?

If the question was dumb, I'm sorry :) !

Nice way to go, huh?
But you can fit 2 micro sd in 1 regular SD by using the adaptor, also I think that 3 SD slots will be a litle unresonable expensive...
You know, sometimes stuff is quite perfect, like Pandora now, you just don't need to change it)
Yeah, using SDXC instead SDHC is a good idea, mostly because it will support SDHC cards 2, but yet this is not necessary, because the only SDXC card will be relased soon is the 64GB card....maybe in distant future, then tosters will conquer the world, and any kid will know how to make a nuklear reaktor...

Kangal said:
Why don't use one side for SDcard slot and on the other side fit 2x microSD slots, with one (unremovable) dedicated as 32GB internal storage?

ED: If the question was dumb, I'm sorry :) !

Because the Pandora's SOC hardware is only capable of addressing 2 SD cards.

NeoTheFox said:
Nice way to go, huh?
But you can fit 2 micro sd in 1 regular SD by using the adaptor, also I think that 3 SD slots will be a litle unresonable expensive...
You know, sometimes stuff is quite perfect, like Pandora now, you just don't need to change it)
Yeah, using SDXC instead SDHC is a good idea, mostly because it will support SDHC cards 2, but yet this is not necessary, because the only SDXC card will be relased soon is the 64GB card....maybe in distant future, then tosters will conquer the world, and any kid will know how to make a nuklear reaktor...

You can fit 2x microSD into an adaptor = 1x SD card? Really?
We dont have that here in Australia, would be neat/awesome.
All I've been exposed to was adaptor for 1x micro SD = 1x SD card.

I just remmembered that SD advantages outweigh that of internal storage ... mobility & infinite storage.
So I just edited that to:
1x SD slot, 1x micro SD slot ... another microSD = internal storage

Advantages:
Support SD devices, which is very important .... its only tomorrow when we realize we can use the SD slot to solve a problem!
SD = cheaper & faster
+ support microSD = good to use as infinite storage (ie carry 3 different microSD's for games/movies/all purpose)

Disadvantages:
internal storage = microSD ... which may slow down the device (ie copy a file), but the processor also is'nt lightning fast, so maybe this might not be so noticable, i dunno.

Pleng said:

OK thanks, will this be possible on another SoC or updated TI-board (ie usefull consideration for Pandora-II)?

Thank you

OK thanks, will this be possible on another SoC or updated TI-board (ie usefull consideration for Pandora-II)?

Thank you

Lol, even the FIRST real pandoras haven't been shipped yet :blink:

Kangal said:
You can fit 2x microSD into an adaptor = 1x SD card? Really?
We dont have that here in Australia, would be neat/awesome.
All I've been exposed to was adaptor for 1x micro SD = 1x SD card.
I could imagine an adapter card with a special controller that reports the microSD cards as two partitions on the same drive, adapting the virtual drive's geometry as needed. There are some problems with that approach, though (like clueless users repartitioning their "drive") and the adapter would probably be stupidly expensive.

1) There are still tons of devices out there with full-size SD slots. If you own any of those (I have lots: Cameras, multi-track recorder, etc.) then you will want your Pandora to support those cards.
2) Full-size is MUCH cheaper, and afaik still faster.
3) Micro-SD is just too darn *small*. Way too easy to lose. I can always stuff some of my many SD cards into my wallet, with the coins, if I need to. However, those coin-pockets in wallets have small openings which would just let the microSD cards out (as they are slightly smaller than the smallest coinage).
4) Stuff them anywhere else, and they'll disappear from there too.
5) Did I mention they are too small?

fusion_power said:
For my personal taste, the normal SD card has the right size, anything smaller results in less durability, faster disappearing somewhere and more uncomfortable handling I think.

I just dropped a micro-sd card yesterday and it fell in between the keyes on my keyboard.. Man that was annoying!

ARGHHH!

1 more to the list, micro versions:
* have a higher heat rate.
* more chances of a shortcut when pushing it onto the reader/adapter (happened already twice)
* awfull write/read failure rate. leading to slower read/write speed.
* and the worst, they die on the worst moment because you dropped your cellphone on the wrong side and simply a big loss of all your precious
contact photos and files. (just happened yesterday and lost all my precious photos and my personal nfo).

Kangal said:
Pleng said:

It's a limit of the OMAP. They'd have to go with a different SoC that supported more, which I don't think any exist.
Technically the Pandora has 3 SD "slots", but the 3rd one is hard wired to the SDIO wifi module.

The primary advantage of the Micro SD card is that it is about 1/4 the size of the SD card.
I am not so worried about price since that will fall, and if the micros ever overtake the full sized cards, they will quickly become cheaper.

The smaller size would free up a bunch of space on the main board for other things. (a USB hub chip so they could fix the main USB port and perhaps add a second full sized USB port etc.) Currently it appears that 1/8th of the component side of the board is used by the SD card slots. It would be nice to be able to recover 3/4 of that space.

But most of that could be achieved if they could find or have designed an SD connector that would stack the SD cards instead of having them side by side.

Back