Any Snes Fans In The House?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As was said before; please make a video with Super Mario RPG. It is considered by most to be the definitive SNES emulator benchmark. If it works, everything works.

craigix said:
MarioRPG runs fine on the GP2X with the patched version.
Really? When they first released the patched version, it only ran 10 fps. (or was it 20?) Did they finally get it to fullspeed?

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
craigix said:
Really? When they first released the patched version, it only ran 10 fps. (or was it 20?) Did they finally get it to fullspeed?

-God Ginrai

Yeah, I'm more interested in seeing how fast it goes. If I can run Super Mario RPG smoothly while underclocked I will be immensely pleased. ^_^

God Ginrai said:
craigix said:

-God Ginrai

I don't know about 60fps but i think it was in the 30-40 area with the usual overclock.

craigix said:
God Ginrai said:
craigix said:

-God Ginrai

I don't know about 60fps but i think it was in the 30-40 area with the usual overclock.

Well, My GP2X never clocked very well. I think I get 230-240 MHz. Besides, I'm not much of a man for frameskip. (I like my fps to be 50 or above)

That's why I'd like to see it running on the Pandora, to see how nice it looks fullspeed on something that will have good controls. (I can't stand playing SNES on a keyboard)

-God Ginrai

That's why I'd like to see it running on the Pandora, to see how nice it looks fullspeed on something that will have good controls. (I can't stand playing SNES on a keyboard)
Wouldn't he have to port the patched version for Mario RPG?.... probably happen at some point, but its overkill for the moment....

Anyway to demonstrate pretty GFX, I would like to see Seiken Densetsu 3 or Tales of Phantasia running.

Edit: BTW good work Firefox! Its good seeing that we'll have a fullspeed PSX, Jag and SNES emu on Pandora at launch. All of which i find the GP2X somewhat lacking.

Adventus said:
Wouldn't he have to port the patched version for Mario RPG?.... probably happen at some point, but its overkill for the moment....

Anyway to demonstrate pretty GFX, I would like to see Seiken Densetsu 3 or Tales of Phantasia running.

Edit: BTW good work Firefox! Its good seeing that we'll have a fullspeed PSX, Jag and SNES emu on Pandora at launch. All of which i find the GP2X somewhat lacking.
I think Seiken Densetsu 3 uses SA-1 as well. So does Tales of Phantasia. Wait...can't find confirmation of that. Errr...was it that those games started working on PocketSNES in the same version that Super Mario RPG started working in? All I remember is that the original versions of PocketSNES didn't have support for either of these games. They started working after the versions released by HeadOverHeels came out, with all the new patches.

Secret of Mana might be a good test.

Why would you ever be in the position of having to play SNES games on a keyboard, when USB Game Pads are so cheap?!

If the emulation speed has to be tested, Final Fantasy 6 (III on the USA) should be one of the roms tested, because it was slowwwwwwwwwwww on the GP2X. And Yoshi's Island (super mario world 2) should be another good one, because it uses the superfx external accelerator chip.

EDIT: added the final fantasy numeration

I think Seiken Densetsu 3 uses SA-1 as well. So does Tales of Phantasia. Wait...can't find confirmation of that. Errr...was it that those games started working on PocketSNES in the same version that Super Mario RPG started working in? All I remember is that the original versions of PocketSNES didn't have support for either of these games. They started working after the versions released by HeadOverHeels came out, with all the new patches.
Hmmm, According to wikipedia neither of those games use SA-1. All i can say is that the current GP2X version of PocketSNES can run them well.... whereas Super Mario RPG does not work.

Well, Seiken Densetsu 3 was one of the first games I played through completely on SNES gp2x and later FF6. What's the problem with those two?

Did someone mention a while back that Tetris Attack was an evil game from the point of view of most emulators? Maybe it'd be worth using that as a stress test.

The Metroid video is definitely impressive, in particular. Those who've played Metroid to a decent way in: did the demo showcase any of the areas which crawl on the 2x or not?

Oh yes, Tetris is the game people say is the slowest of all, anyone have time to get the GP2X FPS / video at FS0 on that game for an interesting comparison?

Pleng said:

Why would you ever be in the position of having to play SNES games on a keyboard, when USB Game Pads are so cheap?!

Because I don't really have the money for USB game pads because I'm saving up for the Pandora and Dreamcast games.

-God Ginrai

this makes me cry. I want to play chrono on this thing!!!! omg im excited to say the least. when will these units finally be available for purchase for us consumers?

God Ginrai said:
Pleng said:

Because I don't really have the money for USB game pads because I'm saving up for the Pandora and Dreamcast games.

-God Ginrai

Fair enough. But they are dirt cheap.

Tobriand said:
Those who've played Metroid to a decent way in: did the demo showcase any of the areas which crawl on the 2x or not?
Yes, straight at the beginning of the Demo-Sequences you see Samus leaving her Ship. The rain is a complete transparent layer and onto the GP2X you only have half or less than half FPS there, even overclocked and with Frameskip on. Onto the Pandora Hardware it seems full speed without any Frameskip. Same for later Lava-Levels with heavy Transparence and "heat" effects, not very well playable onto the GP2X.

One last video of the Chrono Trigger intro running on PandaSNES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5XGMrv25G0

The Pandora's still underclocked at 500MHz, but now I'm running the kernel with notaz's L2 cache fix. The intro takes a few seconds more than three minutes to run at full speed, here it takes a little under a minute and a half. :)

(This is meant to show that you should be able to underclock your Pandora by quite a bit and still enjoy your favourite games - and for quite a long time between charges, too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back