Anybody else getting one of these GPU's..?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I'm not usually suckered into the latest tech but have to admit I like what I'm hearing so far, although may wait for some different brands/models.

http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3161.html

I'm embarking on my first new build soon and will be needing a top end GPU to support the practically brand new 2560x1600 monitor I've been given..

I'm guessing that there's plenty here that know far more about this stuff than me, this or the closest AMD equivalent..?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst "I've got a spiffy new gfx card" thread.... evar! :)

Worst "I've got a spiffy new gfx card" thread.... evar! :)

Completely wrong end of the stick my friend (next time I'll include 'considering' in the thread title just for you)

Anyways.. simply put, I value (most) peoples opinions on these forums & there are plenty here that know far more than I do on this subject (me being a complete novice/fledgling system builder) and when it comes to GPU's I'll gladly listen to as many opinions (constructive or otherwise) as people are happy to give, on account of them being so darn expensive.

Difficult question as it comes down to your budget & your desire to run games at native resolution / max settings.

For me the right price for a new graphics card always seems to be about £175, my guess is that you'll have to pay about £500 for the GTX 680, however if your budget for the box is £1400 as mentioned in the other thread then you should be able to afford it and not have to scrimp on the other components.

Difficult question as it comes down to your budget & your desire to run games at native resolution / max settings.

For me the right price for a new graphics card always seems to be about £175, my guess is that you'll have to pay about £500 for the GTX 680, however if your budget for the box is £1400 as mentioned in the other thread then you should be able to afford it and not have to scrimp on the other components.

Thanks..

I'm reliably informed by family & friends that ever since I inherited a reasonably powerful system, I've become a bit of an insufferable max resolution/settings ***hole & quite frankly I don't really care.. I've been saving for quite some time now & as I've never had anything close to a high end system before, feel a bit like a kid in a candy store.. common sense (damn you!) still prevails though & I guess if the performance difference is negligible at my desktop resolution (1920x1200) between what I was considering: GTX 580 Twin Frozr II/OC & the new 680's then I'll plump for the former.. I would greatly appreciate the opinions of anyone that has experience with any of these cards (or the closest AMD equivalent) though.

hi,

i would prefer a gtx 680.the card has a good fps/W rate(faster in most cases as a 7970), enough power for current games especially in high resolutions.

and the main reason for me is the opportunity to use the "nvidia inspector".this tool allows you to force high quality filters, like SGSSAA, for the best picture quality on your screen.

if the card is not to expensive for you this would be the right pick.

not to forget the lower power consumption!

(sorry for my english im a "fischkopp" :) )

Just had a proper look and it seems you can get a gtx 680 for £420 from ebuyer, which makes it £100 or so more expensive than the 580. Looks like its performance may well justify that extra £100 though it may well be prudent to wait for a few more reviews after the card is released.

Also wondering why you are running your desktop at a non native resolution?

Just had a proper look and it seems you can get a gtx 680 for £420 from ebuyer, which makes it £100 or so more expensive than the 580. Looks like its performance may well justify that extra £100 though it may well be prudent to wait for a few more reviews after the card is released.

Also wondering why you are running your desktop at a non native resolution?

Hey thanks, wasn't aware there were any prices yet.. & it's not quite as bad as I was expecting (yes I know it's A LOT of money for a GPU) as far as the resolution is concerned, It had honestly never occurred to me that it was non native & doesn't (as far as I'm aware) present me with any problems.

downsampling means you force the graphics driver to higher resolutions as your native resolution.your screen must now downsamle the resulotion to the native resolution.so you got a better picture quality.its useful for games where the graphics engine got no or bad filter implemented.its kind of forced SuperSampling.

but a little tricky to got it working.

mfg

Back